Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Obviously change is needed. Stander will hopefully have his load carrying reduced, or plans will be implemented to have him carry more effectively. Also our players need to be moving forward when receiving the ball with momentum. Stationary starts receiving will get us no gains.
    That's why I think VDF should be used more carrying the ball. He's been very good as a link man / ball carrier for Leinster. Faster service from rucks allows us to attack before the defense is set. So does Murray start? I think he's slow to the rucks, hesitant and not a quick distributor of the ball! But, it depends on how much Farrell is willing to risk.
    As there's new blood in the squad, I think we're going to see different back row combinations. The balance needs to be right. It wasn't the last year and we didn't have a clue what to do.
    On another note, Billy V out changes England. I think they are weaker and will not be as dominant up front. He is really accumulating the arm injuries and that's got to be concerning. I haven't seen a lad with so many arm injuries like this before. Makes me think about his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭cantwbr1

Granny15 wrote: »
    Ah I see you're one of our many new arrivals over the past week. Sigh. Welcome

Registered a long time, occasional poster, long-standing lurker.
    Doesn’t change the validity of my post

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

At Pro14 level, Stander leads the attack. Makes good yards and guarantees front foot ball.

At European level, Stander gains some yards and draws in defenders on first phase.

At International level Stander is a tireless but direct first phase carrier who struggles to make ground, and primarily draws in defenders.

Arguably still the best Ireland have, but Ireland will need to find better to really mix it at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's very difficult to assess how Stander performs based on his statistics. There's no denying his style is relatively one dimensional and he's a hard, direct carrier that doesn't exactly ask questions of defensive alignment or force defenders into decisions. His attributes are brute physicality and excellent stamina to the point where he's still barrelling into people after 75 minutes.

But he is in a back row where others don't relieve that pressure on him or force defences onto the back foot and allow his physicality flourish. VDF is a good reader of the game and has an ability to hit the line at pace but it's not going to hide the fact that he's 107kg and isn't going to bludgeon over the gain line nor is he in the team to do that. POM is a very static carrier and rarely makes anything significant with the ball in hand either. Then there are other guys in the pack such as Toner and Best historically who weren't exactly tyros in the loose either.

I don't think it's much of a coincidence that his best showings in green go back to him at 6 when he had Heaslip and SOB alongside him taking defenders out of the picture. He's an exceptionally marked man in green now along with James Ryan. They both carry a huge amount of ball in close quarters for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    It's very difficult to assess how Stander performs based on his statistics. There's no denying his style is relatively one dimensional and he's a hard, direct carrier that doesn't exactly ask questions of defensive alignment or force defenders into decisions. His attributes are brute physicality and excellent stamina to the point where he's still barrelling into people after 75 minutes.

But he is in a back row where others don't relieve that pressure on him or force defences onto the back foot and allow his physicality flourish. VDF is a good reader of the game and has an ability to hit the line at pace but it's not going to hide the fact that he's 107kg and isn't going to bludgeon over the gain line nor is he in the team to do that. POM is a very static carrier and rarely makes anything significant with the ball in hand either. Then there are other guys in the pack such as Toner and Best historically who weren't exactly tyros in the loose either.

I don't think it's much of a coincidence that his best showings in green go back to him at 6 when he had Heaslip and SOB alongside him taking defenders out of the picture. He's an exceptionally marked man in green now along with James Ryan. They both carry a huge amount of ball in close quarters for Ireland.

Yeah, Stander is a traditional blindside. And what he does is fine as long as we have someone else doing the more dynamic carrying. Without that we're too reliant on him and are missing a hefty chunk of what you need from a back row going forward. Conan was starting to fill that gap until his injury. Hopefully Doris or Deegan can step up and do it now. But a lot of it will also depend on our packs ability to win collisions, rucks etc. We were getting blown off the park in that area at times last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, Stander is a traditional blindside. And what he does is fine as long as we have someone else doing the more dynamic carrying. Without that we're too reliant on him and are missing a hefty chunk of what you need from a back row going forward. Conan was starting to fill that gap until his injury. Hopefully Doris or Deegan can step up and do it now. But a lot of it will also depend on our packs ability to win collisions, rucks etc. We were getting blown off the park in that area at times last year.

I think the tactic not to contest rucks is similar last year to what Leinster are doing this year. If you come up against a determined team with a bit of bulk like Bennetton at the weekend its very hard to build momentum.

We should pick and choose which rucks to comepte at and leave some which are already won. This will stop big teams gaining momentum on the gainline.

It also requires a backrow that are able at the breakdown VDF and Doris showing they have that bow to their caps at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Did we ever find out who stood on Conan's foot? He must be ****ing fuming

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Bazzo wrote: »
    Did we ever find out who stood on Conan's foot? He must be ****ing fuming

I heard it was Stander.....

Actually POM kneeled down behind Conan and Stander pushed him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Eod100 wrote: »

Bugger, Addison to start against Scotland if that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Larmour's been the best 15 in Europe this season. Would be a dreadful shame if we couldn't see what he can do at test level. Was really growing into the role at the World Cup.

Clegg wrote: »
    Larmour's been the best 15 in Europe this season. Would be a dreadful shame if we couldn't see what he can do at test level. Was really growing into the role at the World Cup.

Honestly, Addison's been outstanding so far in his appearances at 15.

I'm a massive Larmour fan, but I'd love to see a back 3 of him at 14, Addison at 15 and then Stockdale at 11.

Addison's been great, but I think Larmour's been better. His performance against Northampton at the Aviva is one of the best I've seen from a Leinster player. We've two in form backs that can play in any position across the back 3 and 13 at a pinch. Both are deserving of a starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Murray Kinsella mentioned in an article today that Rob Herring is "thought to be the frontrunner" at hooker. Also not sure if it was known/confirmed already but he seemed very confident Sexton will be fit for Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

"low grade" doesn't sound too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Bazzo wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella mentioned in an article today that Rob Herring is "thought to be the frontrunner" at hooker. Also not sure if it was known/confirmed already but he seemed very confident Sexton will be fit for Scotland.

The Ulster lineout and set piece in general has been very poor this season from what I've seen of them. They could have put 50 on Munster if their lineout had worked. So not filled with confidence there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Ulster lineout and set piece in general has been very poor this season from what I've seen of them. They could have put 50 on Munster if their lineout had worked. So not filled with confidence there.

Statistically how does Herring fare compared to the other hookers with lineout success?

I don't know the answer, but I'm sure the other lineouts haven't been perfect either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,008 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bilston wrote: »
    Statistically how does Herring fare compared to the other hookers with lineout success?

I don't know the answer, but I'm sure the other lineouts haven't been perfect either.
    I haven't seen every Connacht match, but the ones I have seen, I was struck by how bullet proof their lineouts were.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Connachts set piece has been really good all season, even in recent poor form. Think Kelleher will start but 16 jersey could be up for grabs.
    Edit - just seen comment above herring is frontrunner, bit surprised at that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,634 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Awec can rejoice. McCloskey has been added to the Ireland squad. Justice is done. Now #JusticeForRhys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

See! Journalists and coaches do read boards.ie posts and take the advice!

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Eod100 wrote: »

So does that mean they were looking at Addison as center cover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Is this as injury replacement for Larmour...or just called up...seems a bit unusual if it's the latter ?

Edit: squidgy answered it

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So does that mean they were looking at Addison as center cover?

Probably due to Farrell being injured, was a late withdrawal before the Ospreys game with a "knee contusion"

Andy Farrell apparently said "some backs have niggles", so I assume McCloskey added in case those niggles turn into injuries.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Probably due to Farrell being injured, was a late withdrawal before the Ospreys game with a "knee contusion"

Ah yes thanks. Forgot about Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bilston wrote: »

According to the respective team websites Munster have lost 8 lineouts this season, Leinster have lost 18, Ulster have lost by far the most at 33. Leinster are bad enough and Ulster are twice as bad again.

• Advertisement

Larmour's injury doesn't appear to be too serious either.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1219335922338144256?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement