Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
14-08-2017, 14:06   #91
devnull
Moderator
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,361
All - please do not feed the trolls - Thanks!

- Moderator
devnull is offline  
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-08-2017, 14:43   #92
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 16,965
My experience with Dublin Coach wasn't great.

I used them twice, from Dublin airport to Tralee and back. At the airport, I was first taken aback by the poor condition of the coach. I boarded the service and the driver was eating on the bus, he told me I should have gotten the Portlaoise bus before his. Yet his bus was the one I was booked on. He was acting as if he was doing me a favour.

Anyway, I got on the second bus at the Red Cow, it was a Mercedes coach if I recall. It was a very comfortable coach to travel in but it was filthy and at one point we stopped with what looked like an overheating issue. On the way home, I was in a clapped out Setra but it ran fine.

So I'm back to taking the train to Tralee instead. They have to do better than that. A far cry from Citylink, who are outstanding from my experience.
Karsini is offline  
14-08-2017, 15:52   #93
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
My experience with Dublin Coach wasn't great.

I used them twice, from Dublin airport to Tralee and back. At the airport, I was first taken aback by the poor condition of the coach. I boarded the service and the driver was eating on the bus, he told me I should have gotten the Portlaoise bus before his. Yet his bus was the one I was booked on. He was acting as if he was doing me a favour.

Anyway, I got on the second bus at the Red Cow, it was a Mercedes coach if I recall. It was a very comfortable coach to travel in but it was filthy and at one point we stopped with what looked like an overheating issue. On the way home, I was in a clapped out Setra but it ran fine.

So I'm back to taking the train to Tralee instead. They have to do better than that. A far cry from Citylink, who are outstanding from my experience.
What year was the Merc?

Most likely a Mercedes tourismo!

The Setra is almost certainly ex Aircoach, millions of kilometres on those. They are wrecked.

You're right about citylink.

Those Vanhool's are nice.
boardsuser1 is offline  
Thanks from:
14-08-2017, 18:55   #94
Quackster
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,411
Mod: Kerry, ZTest
The most compelling thing I can say in support of Dublin Coach's Dublin/Tralee service is try making the same journey with Bus Éireann!!
Quackster is online now  
15-08-2017, 10:07   #95
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 16,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
What year was the Merc?

Most likely a Mercedes tourismo!
I can't remember to be honest but it was back in February when I took the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackster View Post
The most compelling thing I can say in support of Dublin Coach's Dublin/Tralee service is try making the same journey with Bus Éireann!!
I haven't taken the 12 and 13 for years but yes, it was hell! About 6 hours if I recall.
Karsini is offline  
Advertisement
15-08-2017, 17:51   #96
devnull
Moderator
 
devnull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 9,361
There was a group of cyclists protecting the Cycle Lane from Dublin Coach services near Custom House today, never seen that before, has there been some issues with compliance in relation to parking down there or something?

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/stat...78695018672128

I also found this whilst looking at twitter to see if I could find anything more on it

https://twitter.com/NiamhTraynor/sta...52439010426884
devnull is offline  
Thanks from:
15-08-2017, 21:35   #97
punisher5112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17,908
They have been doing this on different streets to highlight safety and so on.
punisher5112 is offline  
15-08-2017, 21:45   #98
bk
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,331
Last week in Cork, I saw a driver smash out with a bin, the outer half of one of the rear windows of 04 D 34313, the ex-Aircoach blue Setra that Dublin Coach are now using!

I assume it had gotten damaged, rather then him just taking out his frustration!
bk is offline  
16-08-2017, 00:54   #99
howiya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
There was a group of cyclists protecting the Cycle Lane from Dublin Coach services near Custom House today, never seen that before, has there been some issues with compliance in relation to parking down there or something?

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/stat...78695018672128

I also found this whilst looking at twitter to see if I could find anything more on it

https://twitter.com/NiamhTraynor/sta...52439010426884
It's a 24 hr cycle lane but there are regularly coaches parked in it from a variety of companies. Dublin Coach's Belfast service being a regular offender. The white line is continuous so no other vehicles should be parked in it. There are also markings for a bus stop at the Custom House (DB stop 407) and double yellow lines along the quay.

Obviously DB scheduled services have to pull in across the cycle lane and serve the stop but from the tone of the groups tweets they seem to be more agitated by coaches using Custom House Quay as a coach park
howiya is online now  
Advertisement
16-08-2017, 10:25   #100
LXFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by howiya View Post
It's a 24 hr cycle lane but there are regularly coaches parked in it from a variety of companies. Dublin Coach's Belfast service being a regular offender. The white line is continuous so no other vehicles should be parked in it. There are also markings for a bus stop at the Custom House (DB stop 407) and double yellow lines along the quay.

Obviously DB scheduled services have to pull in across the cycle lane and serve the stop but from the tone of the groups tweets they seem to be more agitated by coaches using Custom House Quay as a coach park
Like so many other locations around Dublin City Centre, too many bus/coach services have been licensed to serve that stop. They need to move some of the services to another location that doesn't impact on cyclists.
LXFlyer is offline  
16-08-2017, 10:54   #101
_Kaiser_
Registered User
 
_Kaiser_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Like so many other locations around Dublin City Centre, too many bus/coach services have been licensed to serve that stop. They need to move some of the services to another location that doesn't impact on cyclists.
Or.. Cyclists should realise that there's more than just their needs to be catered for and there's only so much space to go around. Perhaps they should request the Council to take another look at the situation instead?

A bit of common sense and give and take from both sides would seem to be a more practical solution than confrontational protests and irritated drivers/passengers.
_Kaiser_ is offline  
(2) thanks from:
16-08-2017, 11:02   #102
LXFlyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
Or.. Cyclists should realise that there's more than just their needs to be catered for and there's only so much space to go around. Perhaps they should request the Council to take another look at the situation instead?

A bit of common sense and give and take from both sides would seem to be a more practical solution than confrontational protests and irritated drivers/passengers.
Irrespective of the cyclists' issues, the space provided for the buses and coaches at that stop is not sufficient to cope with the number of services licensed to serve it.

That's a problem across the city centre and needs addressing.

In particular a second bus station is needed for longer distance services where passengers can wait indoors and facilities provided for them.
LXFlyer is offline  
(5) thanks from:
16-08-2017, 11:22   #103
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 16,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
In particular a second bus station is needed for longer distance services where passengers can wait indoors and facilities provided for them.
Absolutely. Galway has it that way.
Karsini is offline  
Thanks from:
16-08-2017, 11:57   #104
howiya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
Or.. Cyclists should realise that there's more than just their needs to be catered for and there's only so much space to go around. Perhaps they should request the Council to take another look at the situation instead?

A bit of common sense and give and take from both sides would seem to be a more practical solution than confrontational protests and irritated drivers/passengers.
It's illegal to park there. Common sense, give and take etc shouldn't come into it.
howiya is online now  
Thanks from:
16-08-2017, 12:03   #105
howiya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Like so many other locations around Dublin City Centre, too many bus/coach services have been licensed to serve that stop. They need to move some of the services to another location that doesn't impact on cyclists.
Agree they need a second bus station somewhere. A suggestion I would have until such is built is that Custom House Quay be reduced to one traffic lane (outer lane) and giving the inside line to facilitate buses with the cycle lane on the outside of it.

The cycling crowd might not view it as very safe with buses pulling in/out but for the majority of time the coaches are there they're stationary.
howiya is online now  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet