Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-08-2017, 14:06   #91
devnull

All - please do not feed the trolls - Thanks!

(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-08-2017, 14:43   #92

My experience with Dublin Coach wasn't great.

I used them twice, from Dublin airport to Tralee and back. At the airport, I was first taken aback by the poor condition of the coach. I boarded the service and the driver was eating on the bus, he told me I should have gotten the Portlaoise bus before his. Yet his bus was the one I was booked on. He was acting as if he was doing me a favour.

Anyway, I got on the second bus at the Red Cow, it was a Mercedes coach if I recall. It was a very comfortable coach to travel in but it was filthy and at one point we stopped with what looked like an overheating issue. On the way home, I was in a clapped out Setra but it ran fine.

So I'm back to taking the train to Tralee instead. They have to do better than that. A far cry from Citylink, who are outstanding from my experience.
14-08-2017, 15:52   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
My experience with Dublin Coach wasn't great.

I used them twice, from Dublin airport to Tralee and back. At the airport, I was first taken aback by the poor condition of the coach. I boarded the service and the driver was eating on the bus, he told me I should have gotten the Portlaoise bus before his. Yet his bus was the one I was booked on. He was acting as if he was doing me a favour.

Anyway, I got on the second bus at the Red Cow, it was a Mercedes coach if I recall. It was a very comfortable coach to travel in but it was filthy and at one point we stopped with what looked like an overheating issue. On the way home, I was in a clapped out Setra but it ran fine.

So I'm back to taking the train to Tralee instead. They have to do better than that. A far cry from Citylink, who are outstanding from my experience.
What year was the Merc?

Most likely a Mercedes tourismo!

The Setra is almost certainly ex Aircoach, millions of kilometres on those. They are wrecked.

You're right about citylink.

Those Vanhool's are nice.
Thanks from:
14-08-2017, 18:55   #94
Quackster

Mod: Kerry, ZTest
The most compelling thing I can say in support of Dublin Coach's Dublin/Tralee service is try making the same journey with Bus Éireann!!
15-08-2017, 10:07   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
What year was the Merc?

Most likely a Mercedes tourismo!
I can't remember to be honest but it was back in February when I took the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackster View Post
The most compelling thing I can say in support of Dublin Coach's Dublin/Tralee service is try making the same journey with Bus Éireann!!
I haven't taken the 12 and 13 for years but yes, it was hell! About 6 hours if I recall.
Advertisement
15-08-2017, 17:51   #96
devnull

There was a group of cyclists protecting the Cycle Lane from Dublin Coach services near Custom House today, never seen that before, has there been some issues with compliance in relation to parking down there or something?

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/stat...78695018672128

I also found this whilst looking at twitter to see if I could find anything more on it

https://twitter.com/NiamhTraynor/sta...52439010426884
Thanks from:
15-08-2017, 21:35   #97
punisher5112

They have been doing this on different streets to highlight safety and so on.
15-08-2017, 21:45   #98
bk

Last week in Cork, I saw a driver smash out with a bin, the outer half of one of the rear windows of 04 D 34313, the ex-Aircoach blue Setra that Dublin Coach are now using!

I assume it had gotten damaged, rather then him just taking out his frustration!
16-08-2017, 00:54   #99
howiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
There was a group of cyclists protecting the Cycle Lane from Dublin Coach services near Custom House today, never seen that before, has there been some issues with compliance in relation to parking down there or something?

https://twitter.com/IBIKEDublin/stat...78695018672128

I also found this whilst looking at twitter to see if I could find anything more on it

https://twitter.com/NiamhTraynor/sta...52439010426884
It's a 24 hr cycle lane but there are regularly coaches parked in it from a variety of companies. Dublin Coach's Belfast service being a regular offender. The white line is continuous so no other vehicles should be parked in it. There are also markings for a bus stop at the Custom House (DB stop 407) and double yellow lines along the quay.

Obviously DB scheduled services have to pull in across the cycle lane and serve the stop but from the tone of the groups tweets they seem to be more agitated by coaches using Custom House Quay as a coach park
Advertisement
16-08-2017, 10:25   #100
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiya View Post
It's a 24 hr cycle lane but there are regularly coaches parked in it from a variety of companies. Dublin Coach's Belfast service being a regular offender. The white line is continuous so no other vehicles should be parked in it. There are also markings for a bus stop at the Custom House (DB stop 407) and double yellow lines along the quay.

Obviously DB scheduled services have to pull in across the cycle lane and serve the stop but from the tone of the groups tweets they seem to be more agitated by coaches using Custom House Quay as a coach park
Like so many other locations around Dublin City Centre, too many bus/coach services have been licensed to serve that stop. They need to move some of the services to another location that doesn't impact on cyclists.
16-08-2017, 10:54   #101
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Like so many other locations around Dublin City Centre, too many bus/coach services have been licensed to serve that stop. They need to move some of the services to another location that doesn't impact on cyclists.
Or.. Cyclists should realise that there's more than just their needs to be catered for and there's only so much space to go around. Perhaps they should request the Council to take another look at the situation instead?

A bit of common sense and give and take from both sides would seem to be a more practical solution than confrontational protests and irritated drivers/passengers.
(2) thanks from:
16-08-2017, 11:02   #102
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post
Or.. Cyclists should realise that there's more than just their needs to be catered for and there's only so much space to go around. Perhaps they should request the Council to take another look at the situation instead?

A bit of common sense and give and take from both sides would seem to be a more practical solution than confrontational protests and irritated drivers/passengers.
Irrespective of the cyclists' issues, the space provided for the buses and coaches at that stop is not sufficient to cope with the number of services licensed to serve it.

That's a problem across the city centre and needs addressing.

In particular a second bus station is needed for longer distance services where passengers can wait indoors and facilities provided for them.
(5) thanks from:
16-08-2017, 11:22   #103

Quote:
In particular a second bus station is needed for longer distance services where passengers can wait indoors and facilities provided for them.
Absolutely. Galway has it that way.
Thanks from:
16-08-2017, 11:57   #104
howiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kaiser_ View Post

It's illegal to park there. Common sense, give and take etc shouldn't come into it.
Thanks from:
16-08-2017, 12:03   #105
howiya

Quote:
Agree they need a second bus station somewhere. A suggestion I would have until such is built is that Custom House Quay be reduced to one traffic lane (outer lane) and giving the inside line to facilitate buses with the cycle lane on the outside of it.

The cycling crowd might not view it as very safe with buses pulling in/out but for the majority of time the coaches are there they're stationary.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion