Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Dublin Coach Experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I was about to reply to a few of you saying fair enough, maybe I'm just unlucky, but then I got 726'd yesterday! Was waiting in the airport for the 18.30. It simply didn't show up. Similarly the 19.30 didn't show. I jumped on the 750 to the red cow and figured I might pick up the 726 there or at least if i had to go back into the city to get a train that was an option. Eventually a 726 turned up at th red cow at 20.45 but there wasn't enough seats so he left 5 people, myself included, behind. Then randomly another 726 turned up at 21.15. This took the rest of us, it was pretty empty. As I was getting off at Naas the driver couldn't open the front door, asked us to use the back. He then had to turn off the bus for something and couldn't start it again. There were people on that bus that waited 2.5 hours in the cold at the red cow and then got as far as Naas, only to be stuck again

Throughout all of this, the 'real-time' info was not working. None of the drivers I asked were able to tell you where the next 726 was or if they saw it in red cow etc etc. Absolute sh1tsh0w.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Which should be a requirement of a licensed service in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That sort of experience is a regular occurrence with this crowd. Just look at the physical condition of most of their buses - very high mileage (even for buses), physical damage, pieces missing, dirty... Nothing that suggests any sort of regular or thorough maintenance.

It's more a testimony to the manufacturers that they run at all given the abuse they get from this company.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

In this day and age. Brings me back to my WIT college days in the late 90's. Travelled mostly on Bus Éireann. I did'nt experience the worst of Rapid Express but heard some stories like this with overheating coaches, suspension issues from college classmates who used that service. ( a punt cheaper return than Bus Eireann ) JJ Kavanagh nowadays is quite a polishedprofessional service, and the Bus Eireann route is no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TravelCounty

Route 726 (Portlaoise - Dublin Airport) will be servicing Junction 14 Service Station in Monasterevin in both directions, starting tomorrow (October 26th).

https://www.facebook.com/654282030232877

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I really like their new double deckers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

There were a large number of negative comments About them on this post earlier.

Response from the NTA on their 'monitoring activities'....

The National Transport Authority can investigate issues of non-compliance with the requirements set out within the licence. It is an offence not to comply with the conditions of the license. Monitoring of Route 726 has taken place on a number of occasions in 2023 and on occasion there may be issues (related to ongoing driver shortages, traffic delays or vehicle maintenance) however the bus service was found to operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Grand so.

Won't be using Dublin Coach myself again. Used it from dublin to kildare town. slightly minging. around 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

This just drove past me on D'olier Street, hopefully the driver notices before it goes in service!

Surely there would be an alarm/sensor that stops the bus from moving if the luggage doors are open?

Post edited by p_haugh on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Proablly is some alarm. There was a case of Bus EIreann on the N4 previously.

They have introduced seat selection for multi journey tickets which is good. They also seem to have some new drivers over the last while and saw one doing route training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xper

Was heading north on Dundrum Bypass yesterday evening and I saw a minibus type vehicle, maybe a 20 seater, operating the 750 Dublin Airport service heading the other way. Not sure what time it was but think it must have been the 19:15 departure. I've only ever seen their coaches operating this service before. Was that a one off substitution or are passsenger loads that low? Maybe it's an evening thing, there wouldn't be many departures post 21:00.

I remember getting that to red cow over the summer and I was the only passenger on the coach. So makes sense to just run a mini bus

I've seen photos of mini-buses on that service regularly enough. Could have been a last minute replacement for a stricken coach.

Once I even saw their tours mini-bus with the retractable roof doing runs on the 750!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Last Friday we got the 10.30am from the Airport to Monasterevin. 2008 bus I think. Could be wrong.

What the hell. Ripped seats, No Wifi. It was like the buses we went on the school tours !!!!!

The driver did a good job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Bit of a strange move to start servicing a service station is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Tow

Got the bus from the airport during the summer. When going down the hill into Redcow carpark the bus stalled. It took several minutes in the starter to get her going again. Stuck in a clapped out bus on a steep hill wondering if the breaks will hold does not instill confidence.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

The JJK service from Dublin to Waterford/Tramore serves a service station just off the M9 down by Kilkenny, seemed to have a decent loading on the service that stopped while I was refilling my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I suppose it saves the need to bring the bus right through the town while still offering a service.

It’s handy for people to collect and drop off as there’s car parking right by

• Advertisement

Not really, it makes a lot of sense on intercity routes as it means just popping off the motorway and not going through the towns. Very common in Italy and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AX612

600 looking quality this evening as always...

They’re only a year or two old. Have to say I love travelling in them. Very comfortable and modern

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The godawful shade of green they insist on painting them all doesn't help.

They always look dirty and tatty and that's before bits start falling off/going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jameslee23

There’s a new ban coming into PortLaois on the 1st of January The band buses from 2009 and older to operate in the town so this is probably going to be bad news for the green bus

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Can you tell us more about this, any link to information about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Jameslee23

I only heard about it a few weeks ago off a friend cause. It was mainly about the 09 double-deckers as they were leaking oil in the town, and that was the main reason why they wanted to ban them. The green bus will still be allowed in the town, but they just won’t allow any buses that are older than 2010

Seems very drastic and how would it be enforced? Presume you’d need bye laws. Lots of buses older than that on the roads and are perfectly fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

How big or frequent were the oil leaks coming from the Dublin Coach vehicles serving routes to Portlaoise?

Advertisement