Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-02-2017, 09:02   #31
SuperS54

My local supermarket has a healthy clientele of ladies of that age, buying fruit is a nightmare, particularly apples can only be purchased if they're freshly on display. Local habit seems to be to test the apples (hardness? softness?) by pushing a thumbnail into it, having observed the practice it seems you need to test almost all the apples in this manner before selecting a non tested one. Apples on display for more than 5 mins tend to be pock marked with little crescents or worse puncture marks.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
03-02-2017, 09:08   #32
_Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
Do you feel filthy after it? When in nearest city, I feel like I've a layer of grime on me afterwards. Especially on my hands if I've touched the metal bannisters on the carpark stairs.

I'e probably built up superimmunity to ever germ known to man, though!
I get that feeling too. Being in the city is like being soaked in fumes and grime all day long. I swear it's cleaner working on the farm.
(3) thanks from:
03-02-2017, 09:34   #33
bluewolf
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddyDoody View Post
And there's never any thongs for the apples or red / green peppers either, but I guess most people wash them before eating.
Stupid sexy apples
(3) thanks from:
03-02-2017, 09:49   #34
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
Those salad bar things in supermarkets are amongst the most grim places known to man. I've seen a woman literally fingering the tuna sweetcorn.
Oh YUkK!
03-02-2017, 10:48   #35
andekwarhola

I prefer minging bastard to toucher or sniffer.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-02-2017, 10:59   #36
MarkR

Fingernails in apples. I've a dose of the gawks now..
(3) thanks from:
03-02-2017, 11:27   #37
Widdershins

Maybe a member of staff should be posted near the bakery and the green groceries to avert incidents like this..they could have a bit stick..
03-02-2017, 12:25   #38
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
Maybe a member of staff should be posted near the bakery and the green groceries to avert incidents like this..they could have a bit stick..
I volunteer! My walking stick is at your service!
Thanks from:
03-02-2017, 12:55   #39
taxAHcruel

I have seen a few bread dispensers in other countries that deal with this handling issue - but have not spotted it in Ireland myself yet. The loose bread and pretzels and croissants and the like are in a display cabinet you can not get your hands into. Instead there is a shovel system where you push your selected bread sideways into a kind of dispensing tunnel.

https://ninasroadlesstraveled.files....6/img_2871.jpg

So you are pretty much guaranteed that your bread product has not been mauled by anyone else. At least not anyone from the public. What the workers of the shop do is anyone's guess.
Advertisement
03-02-2017, 13:03   #40
Pete123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxAHcruel View Post
I have seen a few bread dispensers in other countries that deal with this handling issue - but have not spotted it in Ireland myself yet. The loose bread and pretzels and croissants and the like are in a display cabinet you can not get your hands into. Instead there is a shovel system where you push your selected bread sideways into a kind of dispensing tunnel.

https://ninasroadlesstraveled.files....6/img_2871.jpg

So you are pretty much guaranteed that your bread product has not been mauled by anyone else. At least not anyone from the public. What the workers of the shop do is anyone's guess.
see post #29
Thanks from:
03-02-2017, 13:14   #41
taxAHcruel

Hah, same picture and all. Ooops.
03-02-2017, 13:14   #42
Irish Stones

Over here in Italy fresh fruit and veggies are on display for all to see. We are allowed to check apples, peaches and so on for hardness/softness or inspect an apple all around before putting them into a bag. Disposable thin gloves are provided along with bags. It's compulsory to use them.
Once the bag is done we place it on a scale, we select the product which is in the bag (cucumbers, apples, bananas, etc) and press the relevant button on the scale, automatically a sticker with the name of the selected item, its price per kg, its weight and final price is printed. We stick it on the bag and hand it out to the cashier at the end of the shopping.
Mixed salads and other similar things are already pre-packed in plastic boxes and priced, no risk that anybody could interfere with their integrity.
03-02-2017, 14:09   #43

Does anyone actually buy food from those self service salad bars ?

*hork*
03-02-2017, 14:48   #44
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchment View Post
Does anyone actually buy food from those self service salad bars ?

*hork*
In the Dunne's where I used to live, the salad bar was enclosed and covered. You had to lift the door to access it. But all the same no way. I never buy street food either.
03-02-2017, 14:54   #45
Thoie

I squeeze wrapped bread (like Brennan's, Irish Pride) gently. I rarely buy the unwrapped rolls and things like that, but wouldn't touch them, and if I am buying them I pick them up with a bag or a tongs (because my hands have been on the trolley bar, which hasn't ever been cleaned). I sniff items like melons for ripeness, but don't touch them with my nose, and I presume most people don't eat melon rinds. Things like apples that people are likely to eat without washing/peeling, no, wouldn't touch those.

When I get home I wash my hands before unpacking my groceries, because again, the trolley.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion