Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-03-2014, 13:30   #211
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticNoise View Post
The baked beans are a perfect example. Three tins for €1.49, but they are smaller tins. You'd get six for around two in Dunnes or Tesco, on offer.
It's a bit harsh to try and make out dealz/ poundland are the only ones that are less than clear on value for money. Many "bigger packs"/ multipacks in the mainstream supermarkets are more expensive than buying multiple smaller packs, with the clear intention of fooling the consumer who logically thinks bigger pack equals better value. For me, there's no difference between that practice and what Dealz is accused of. The only answer is to educate consumers to check!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-03-2014, 13:41   #212
JONJO THE MISER
Banned

Love dealz, do most of my junk food shopping there now.
A quick example a 4 pack of frys turkish delight 1.50 and its 3.17 in Tesco.
Cadburys mini rolls 10 pack 1.50 and it 3.00 in dunnes.
25-03-2014, 13:53   #213
StaticNoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
It's a bit harsh to try and make out dealz/ poundland are the only ones that are less than clear on value for money. Many "bigger packs"/ multipacks in the mainstream supermarkets are more expensive than buying multiple smaller packs, with the clear intention of fooling the consumer who logically thinks bigger pack equals better value. For me, there's no difference between that practice and what Dealz is accused of. The only answer is to educate consumers to check!

I am not trying to make out that Dealz or Poundland, or any discount retailer, is a big dodgy with their pricing practises. The Dispatches documentary says the same. There is a lot of bargains to be had (and they are welcomed), and their own branded goods are more than good value, however the buyer must beware when they are buying mainstream brands, as they are not always as good value.

Taken from the documentary (emphasis and clarification added):

Quote:
Dispatches wanted to get to the bottom of how the company [kept raising profits, whilst offering bargains]. How does it keep on increasing its profits, when it has an 'inflation-busting style' that gives shoppers 'irresistible value', a statement it prints on posters in many of its shops?

Well, it is not inflation-busting in the strictest sense of the word. Many of its items have shrunk as the chief executive Jim McCarthy has admitted. He calls it 're-engineering'.

In recent years the shrinking has been quite severe. Back in 2007 shoppers would have got 10 packs of Quavers in a family bag for £1. This was reduced to seven packs last year, and shrunk further to five packs this year. Last year £1 got you 12 Kodak AA batteries; it is now 11. Toblerone, Cadbury chocolate fingers, Wotsit crisps - all have shrunk.

It also sells a number of popular items in non-standard sizes. For instance, a loaf of Warburton's sliced white bread for £1, which appears to be fantastic value until you realise it is a 600g loaf, rather than the 800g size, which has been the standard size for bread since the Victorian era. You can pick up two 800g Warburton loaves for £2 at Tesco this week.

Poundland point out that the size of the loaf is clearly printed on the packaging.

The company has various other canny marketing and packaging tricks to encourage shoppers to spend.

The most common of which is to shout very loudly on the packaging of goods that their customers are getting '50% extra free' or '60% extra free' or even '100% extra free'.

So, shoppers can pick up eight bars of two-finger Kit Kats for £1. This is sold with a large yellow banner around the multipack saying '5 plus 3 bars, 60% Extra free'. Asda is currently selling the same eight Kit Kats for £1, but without the '60% extra free' flash. And the supermarket describes them as 8 bars, not 5 plus 3.

Both are clearly labelled. Both are good value. But one is shouting about it, and the other isn't.
Yes, Dealz is a fantastic store, but do your homework before you go wild.

For those looking for the episode on Poundland (and other bargain retailers), you can watch it on the Channel 4 website.
25-03-2014, 14:20   #214
Greenmachine

People just need to be wary. Plenty of switzel & matlow products are common across the different discounter. In plenty of them normal bags are €1 (not dealz in this case).
Then the bag with 40% free are €1.50. (These are 40% larger than the €1 bags)
Making the €1 bags the better value.
25-03-2014, 16:31   #215
brian_gall85

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticNoise View Post
That's the episode of Dispatches. Its a bloody good watch too.
It is a good watch, but the programme on last night wasn't the Dispatches one.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-03-2014, 17:46   #216
styron

Misleading by Dispatches to spin reactive competitor price reductions as unconnected and imply spoilers run were infact the normal price:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatches
It also sells a number of popular items in non-standard sizes. For instance, a loaf of Warburton's sliced white bread for £1, which appears to be fantastic value until you realise it is a 600g loaf, rather than the 800g size, which has been the standard size for bread since the Victorian era. You can pick up two 800g Warburton loaves for £2 at Tesco this week.
But only until 31/3 after which it reverts to the standard £1.45 per 800g loaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatches
So, shoppers can pick up eight bars of two-finger Kit Kats for £1. This is sold with a large yellow banner around the multipack saying '5 plus 3 bars, 60% Extra free'. Asda is currently selling the same eight Kit Kats for £1, but without the '60% extra free' flash. And the supermarket describes them as 8 bars, not 5 plus 3.

Both are clearly labelled. Both are good value. But one is shouting about it, and the other isn't.
Possibly because Asda have now upped the price to £1.59 and any "60% extra free" flash wouldn't have allowed them increase it.

Here, Dealz currently offer a Walkers 'Deep Ridged' 5 x 28g multipack for €1.49. Tesco have the same on offer at €2.00 until 8/4 when it should go back to €2.29.

It's a good sign that supermarkets are responsive enough to poundshops that they try to run spoiler promo's like never before - but it's a deceptive comparison against day-to-day prices.
Thanks from:
25-03-2014, 18:03   #217
rubadub

Quote:
Warburton's sliced white bread for £1, which appears to be fantastic value until you realise it is a 600g loaf, rather than the 800g size, which has been the standard size for bread since the Victorian era. You can pick up two 800g Warburton loaves for £2 at Tesco this week.
So you have to buy 1600g of bread rather than 600g. I value the smaller size higher per gram as I would not eat 1.6kg of bread anytime soon.

Instead of comparing 600g to 1600g, the fairer comparison is to the next nearest size. Which is 80c for various Warburton brand 400g loaves in tesco, which is £1.20 per 600g.
25-03-2014, 19:53   #218
Greenmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post
So you have to buy 1600g of bread rather than 600g. I value the smaller size higher per gram as I would not eat 1.6kg of bread anytime soon.

Instead of comparing 600g to 1600g, the fairer comparison is to the next nearest size. Which is 80c for various Warburton brand 400g loaves in tesco, which is £1.20 per 600g.
I agree with I would get a loaf maybe every 4-5 days. Don't eat bread every day. I don't need two loafs, I only have an ice-box. Mostly use dealz myself for a few treats before heading to the cinema. Some energy drinks at the weekend if we are drinking.
25-03-2014, 21:47   #219
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_gall85 View Post
It is a good watch, but the programme on last night wasn't the Dispatches one.

Secrets of the High Street

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3129814/
Advertisement
25-03-2014, 22:03   #220
Greenmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Secrets of the High Street

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3129814/
HTML Code:
Budget
£1,500 (estimated)

Time for a crowd fund I smell a documentary.
26-03-2014, 00:04   #221
ronanc1000

If you go to college, dealz is your best friend! Was like a small kid in big sweet shop the first time i walked in there! Great value! Cheap and cheerful! Lol
Thanks from:
26-03-2014, 09:20   #222
Greenmachine

Slighty off topic. Who is cheaper in this case Poundland or Asda?
http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/25/thats-.../?ITO=facebook

Wonder if they have a double the difference policy like Tesco. Can see them fighting it pretty hard in this case if they did.
02-07-2014, 18:29   #223
snubbleste
Banned

Whitworths Sugar 1.2kg €1.00 - nearest is TescoValue Sugar 1kg for €1.19
Thanks from:
02-07-2014, 19:27   #224
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubbleste View Post
Whitworths Sugar 1.2kg €1.00 - nearest is TescoValue Sugar 1kg for €1.19
Tesco regular caster sugar is 1.09 per kilo in most cases this can be used instead of granulated, often it is better. Usually caster sugar costs more as there is more processing. 500g of the same style tesco caster sugar is 98cent

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Produc.../?id=252869148

People in another thread reckoned this was to match aldi and/or lidls caster sugar price. Tesco usually only have a small section of this caster sugar so it goes unnoticed, people just presume the "value" stuff will be cheapest.

I expect the "value" sugar is the exact same as the regular granulated anyway. The cheap tesco caster is not advertised in anyway, like lots of the best tesco bargains.

I saw 2kg bags of cooking salt for 1.49 in dealz
(2) thanks from:
02-07-2014, 19:33   #225
snubbleste
Banned

I don't buy sugar, therefore did know that rubadub
The Dealz offer is still cheaper though
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline