Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

mangobob wrote: »
    Jaysus that cringefest was tough to listen to. It's surely the MMA equivalent of the Prince Andrew interview. We suspected beforehand that he was in over his head as an mma coach, but now there can be little doubt that the man is an utter loon. But in a disturbing rather than an amusing way. I don't think I have ever heard someone talk so much and yet say so little. His answers at times were mere word salad - like I understood every individual word that he said, but the way he almost randomly assembled them into sentences conveyed absolutely nothing to my mind. I am amazed that Luke kept a straight face throughout. In fact I am actually disappointed that he didn't challenge him a little more robustly on some of the utter donkey excrement that he was spewing. In particular I wish he had called him out on his ludicrous assertion that Sanchez won the first round. That's surely something that can be objectively shown to be wrong, regardless of opinions to the contrary.

After watching his "training" videos, seeing his "padawan" getting destroyed repeatedly, listening to him rail against the mma community and their failure to acknowledge his genius as a coach and now finally this, I truly don't know whether he is a total conman or a delusional narcissistic maniac who actually believes what is coming out of his own mouth. I almost hope its the former, because the latter is a pretty scary proposition, especially when you see the control and influence he seems to have over Diegos mind. Either way as a coach he makes Tarverdyan look like a genius.

But how do you really feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

• Registered Users Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But how do you really feel?
    I’m sure you’ve be waiting to use that fot a while. But man, I don’t think this was the moment.
    Man’s a nutball. Deserves all of the grief.
    ASOT wrote: »

Seen that earlier. A lot with this one:
    Somebody commented either he’s stealing his money or sleeping with him.

https://www.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1230322563777253377

Mellor wrote: »
    I’m sure you’ve be waiting to use that fot a while. But man, I don’t think this was the moment.
    Man’s a nutball. Deserves all of the grief.

Seen that earlier. A lot with this one:
    Somebody commented either he’s stealing his money or sleeping with him.

https://www.twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1230322563777253377

I'll listen on the way to work, feel bad for Diego anyway the guy clearly has him Hoodwinked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He's definitely stealing his money anyway, dude is an absolute looper conman.

Unforunately, Diego seems to be a bit, not all there, so works out well for Fabia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That Bellator thing at the weekend lost the main and co-main events. A friend had bought tickets and asked to be refunded and was told no chance. I can understand that to a certain point but they should be offering a sizeable voucher towards future events I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,147 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eagle eye wrote: »
    That Bellator thing at the weekend lost the main and co-main events. A friend had bought tickets and asked to be refunded and was told no chance. I can understand that to a certain point but they should be offering a sizeable voucher towards future events I think.

I'd imagine they're trying to hang on to every penny they have because I get the impression this event has not sold well.

I have been offered so many free tickets for this show it's mind-blowing. Lads form the gym, lads from work to train a martial art, lads who own a Conor McGregor tshirt............ it seems that there are almost unlimited comps floating around.

Bit of a sh*tshow and I hope they learn their lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Mellor wrote: »
    Man’s a nutball. Deserves all of the grief

Nah not at all, I was messing.
    I actually agreed with everything he said, it was just such a fantastically emotional rant that I made the joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'd imagine they're trying to hang on to every penny they have because I get the impression this event has not sold well.

I have been offered so many free tickets for this show it's mind-blowing. Lads form the gym, lads from work to train a martial art, lads who own a Conor McGregor tshirt............ it seems that there are almost unlimited comps floating around.

Bit of a sh*tshow and I hope they learn their lesson.

I'll take two free ones if they are going spare. I would actually only be interested on seeing the prelims

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That Bellator is muck anyway, so many mismatched fights and I said after the last one I wouldn't go again. Last 2 main events were absolute jokes, you just can't get over me that Gallagher is a top fighter.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    That Bellator is muck anyway, so many mismatched fights and I said after the last one I wouldn't go again. Last 2 main events were absolute jokes, you just can't get over me that Gallagher is a top fighter.

Seems to be for the main card. Ive always enjoyed the rapid fire prelims but the main card is so drawn out and mismatched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Would they be showing UFC Auckland in the Living room in Dublin or an alternative does anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Shogun-Lil Nog 3 at UFC 250 in Brazil. The fight you never knew you didn't have any interest in. Where do they pull this ****e from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭weemcd

Shogun-Lil Nog 3 at UFC 250 in Brazil. The fight you never knew you didn't have any interest in. Where do they pull this ****e from.

If Shogun got the win and they both retired I'd be happy with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Just Benavidez eligible to win title this weekend, Figueiredo 2.5 pounds over but with no other flyweights on card or for sure a worthy bout to replace at top of the bill they've moved to ensure fight commences in this restricted form.

Aldo getting a title shot over both sterling and yan is so ridiculous. Way worse than romero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Beersmith wrote: »
    Aldo getting a title shot over both sterling and yan is so ridiculous. Way worse than romero.

Like Dr. Dre, Everybody forgot about Aldo. He definitely isn't the same fighter as he was in 2016 but he has all those components that if he gets in order can beat anyone in the world.

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Like Dr. Dre, Everybody forgot about Aldo. He definitely isn't the same fighter as he was in 2016 but he has all those components that if he gets in order can beat anyone in the world.

Yeah but he has lost his last two! He lost his only fight at BW. Sorry but there is too many reasons why he shouldn't get a shot. There are others who deserve it way more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mehaffey1 wrote: »

Problem is his most important components are now illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

And Moraes who beat Aldo in his last fight. Seems Yan will probably fight Sterling next as Jose gets the shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ERG89 wrote: »
    And Moraes who beat Aldo in his last fight. Seems Yan will probably fight Sterling next as Jose gets the shot.

Moraes fought Cejudo for the belt just before he fought Aldo, so it makes sense he's not getting a shot at the belt again so soon. It's daft that Aldo is the one getting the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Fight Con in Cork was very enjoyable yesterday.

Got photos and autographs with Mir, Askren, Wonderboy and MVP.
    MVP was really cool and friendly with everyone. Wasn’t sure what he would be like. The chats with them all upstairs were great.

Wonderboy is literally the nicest person in the world. Can’t even imagine him cursing.

Gallagher is tiny in person. Nothing of him in it when you’re standing beside him.

Mir is an absolute unit, fists are massive!!

Would definitely go again next year if they get high profile fighters again.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks for the feedback man, raging i didn't go now. Will keep an eye on future events. Was it a good turnout?

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback man, raging i didn't go now. Will keep an eye on future events. Was it a good turnout?

Maybe between 300-400. Hard to judge when people are spread out and over two floors.

Everything started bang on time all day. Most fighters were there five minutes before the autograph signings or octagon photos were due to start.
    Most times I queued it was only about 10-15 mins.

Hopefully the boys running it made a nice few quid and do it again.

I was in the Thompson chat that was full counted about 250 chairs in that room went down stairs during it and about ten people were downstairs including those at the stands. Personally I'd say they lost their bollox on it but probably weren't expecting much better than breaking even for the first year. They'll do better next year and get sponsors on board. The stands downstairs no one paid a fee on either.

Great concept, Thompson was the star and a genuinely great guy. Gallagher was a lovely fella too, askren I felt was very cold. Frank Mir was cool and I was just had his seminar today. Forget Frank his daughter is a beast.

I was in the Thompson chat that was full counted about 250 chairs in that room went down stairs during it and about ten people were downstairs including those at the stands. Personally I'd say they lost their bollox on it but probably weren't expecting much better than breaking even for the first year. They'll do better next year and get sponsors on board. The stands downstairs no one paid a fee on either.

Great concept, Thompson was the star and a genuinely great guy. Gallagher was a lovely fella too, askren I felt was very cold. Frank Mir was cool and I was just had his seminar today. Forget Frank his daughter is a beast.

Got to agree on Askren and I’m a big fan of his.

He was grand upstairs at the chat but at the autograph signing he looked very uncomfortable and like he was hating every second. Maybe he’s not a people person....
    I was expecting him to be full of banter and wisecracks.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Got to agree on Askren and I’m a big fan of his.

He was grand upstairs at the chat but at the autograph signing he looked very uncomfortable and like he was hating every second. Maybe he’s not a people person....
    I was expecting him to be full of banter and wisecracks.

Barely acknowledged you. I mean Thompson asked me my name thanked me for coming and just was genuinely happy to be there. Someone gave him an Irish jersey with his name on the back and was wearing it around the place.

It delivered with the meets and talks but I was very disappointed at the stands wasn't much to buy and that's what people look for at expos.

Barely acknowledged you. I mean Thompson asked me my name thanked me for coming and just was genuinely happy to be there. Someone gave him an Irish jersey with his name on the back and was wearing it around the place.

It delivered with the meets and talks but I was very disappointed at the stands wasn't much to buy and that's what people look for at expos.

Yeah Wonderboy was an absolute gent.
    MVP had a smile and a bit of crack with everyone in the octagon as well.

I wasn’t pushed on the stands but had a look round and wasn’t interested in anything. I’d imagine a stand with UFC gear and memorabilia etc would have made a killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yeah but he has lost his last two! He lost his only fight at BW. Sorry but there is too many reasons why he shouldn't get a shot. There are others who deserve it way more
    Did he lose that last fight though? Did he really? DID HE?

• Advertisement

Ryan Hall finally got a fight, booked v Lamas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement