Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home taps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shane122

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Just drop in. But when there was a shortage of kegs before the restaurants opened. I’d check with them to see if they had them in stock.

It’s a €30 deposit for the keg

Trid one or 2 offllicence there now with no joy. One guy was trying to tell me that a Guinness keg from nothern Ireland has a different key coupler than the South. Is talking through his behind.

shane122 wrote: »
    Trid one or 2 offllicence there now with no joy. One guy was trying to tell me that a Guinness keg from nothern Ireland has a different key coupler than the South. Is talking through his behind.

Is 215, 220 the normal price for keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭shmeee

Is 215, 220 the normal price for keg.

Yep, I'm paying a bit more but literary picking them up down the road and no deposit needed for the kegs. And he has plenty of stock. So I don't mind the extra few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

I am paying 215 + deposit.

shmeee wrote: »
    There is cheaper options out there, but it's then sourcing the main parts as below. At the moment all my bits came from all over the County and involved a heap of phone calls and collecting stuff then.

Under counter cooler:

ZGE4NjQxYmVjMjMxOWUzOGE3MTc4N2JkZTViOWI1NDL1wffAS0Ad26YGp4Zf-QlVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTEwODc1NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Guinness Tap:

NjE3MmI4MjM4OWJhMDkxODdjNDM3ZWViMTAzYjE0NmKeB3DnsjpqAA95Wl9APpgjaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMmVlNTUyOGFjNjliOGQzYTk5NmU0NmM4MWU4OGY5ZWY1ODVlYTcxMTAyZWQwNTZiMjRmM2EyZjFhNTcwZWUyZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwxOTV4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

BOC sureflow gas regulator:

NTNhMWE4MjBhYTVjZTJmMjYzZjljZGZlZmMxZDFiY2GNVFZ5pjpUxXBd5WtaYXNVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYmM1OGM0ZWMzY2I0NDBlZmJjOWE1ZmM3YzQyY2NmYTQ4OTk1NzgwODJjZTQwMjg1OGU1ODNiOGFiOTgwZDk1NC5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Guinness U System Coupler:

21202.png

Guinness Suremix 25 (70/30) gas:

Yzg2ZGI3NjA1ZDE4NmE5N2U0NzY4YTc1OGQ2Yzc1ZWXpiyFomTr2QX_SZtDkXuPfaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZjZkMDc5YmE3MmM0YmQ5YjY0YWJkNjEyMTY0YTQ4ZTFjODBiMzdhMTVlYzUyNGNlOGZmZTcxYTliYmNjMWVmMi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Then it's the PVC piping and fittings to put it all together and away you go. First port would be to ask any pub owners you know for old taps, couplers etc. The coolers are difficult to source and going for insane money online but if you can pluck away and pick bits up you'd never know.

I'm running the above set up.

I have a large Suremix 25 gas bottle, should be good for about 45 kegs.

I have run no more than about 8 kegs through it and the reading on the Boc reg is below the green "full" line.

I have checked for leaks, soapy water trick. No leaks to be found. Checked all the connections also.

Does the hex nut on top of the boc regulator do anything? Never touched it.

The pints don't have as good a creamy head as they did a few weeks back is the problem then.

Anyone any ideas or advice, much appreciated?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

I'm running the above set up.

I have a large Suremix 25 gas bottle, should be good for about 45 kegs.

I have run no more than about 8 kegs through it and the reading on the Boc reg is below the green "full" line.

I have checked for leaks, soapy water trick. No leaks to be found. Checked all the connections also.

Does the hex nut on top of the boc regulator do anything? Never touched it.

The pints don't have as good a creamy head as they did a few weeks back is the problem then.

Anyone any ideas or advice, much appreciated?

Thanks!
    I think them gas tanks only do about 8 = 10 kegs. I have cleaned my lines and doing so used a bit of gas. This is going to sound stupid but do you have gas switched on. What is the bar reading when switched on.

I think them gas tanks only do about 8 = 10 kegs. I have cleaned my lines and doing so used a bit of gas. This is going to sound stupid but do you have gas switched on. What is the bar reading when switched on.

It's a large cylinder, size N. Must be 100kg. From a Pub.

From https://www.boconline.ie/en/products-and-supply/drinks-dispense-gases/carbon-dioxide-nitrogen-mix/carbon-dioxide-nitrogen-mix.html

Mixed Gas Cylinder Sizes

Mixed Gas Cylinders are supplied in two sizes:

Large cylinder size N will dispense the contents of approx. 45 standard 50 litre kegs

Small cylinder size V will dispense the contents of approx. 12 standard 50 litre kegs

Yes it's on, gas gauge increases when turned on and connected.

It is reading bang on the left hand side of green full area. About a mm is all from going into the white.

Basically it is at 12 o'clock on the gauge, 0 bar the bottom and 315 bar the highest. No other figures on it.

Same gauge as here:

NTNhMWE4MjBhYTVjZTJmMjYzZjljZGZlZmMxZDFiY2GNVFZ5pjpUxXBd5WtaYXNVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYmM1OGM0ZWMzY2I0NDBlZmJjOWE1ZmM3YzQyY2NmYTQ4OTk1NzgwODJjZTQwMjg1OGU1ODNiOGFiOTgwZDk1NC5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

It's a large cylinder, size N. Must be 100kg. From a Pub.

From https://www.boconline.ie/en/products-and-supply/drinks-dispense-gases/carbon-dioxide-nitrogen-mix/carbon-dioxide-nitrogen-mix.html

Mixed Gas Cylinder Sizes

Mixed Gas Cylinders are supplied in two sizes:

Large cylinder size N will dispense the contents of approx. 45 standard 50 litre kegs

Small cylinder size V will dispense the contents of approx. 12 standard 50 litre kegs

Yes it's on, gas gauge increases when turned on and connected.

It is reading bang on the left hand side of green full area. About a mm is all from going into the white.

Basically it is at 12 o'clock on the gauge, 0 bar the bottom and 315 bar the highest. No other figures on it.

Same gauge as here:

The regulator I have has 2 dials, one shows how much is in the tank and the other shows the pressure which is been supplied to kegs. I am having an issue whit the heads on my Guinness pints also. First keg was lovely thick creamy heads but the second keg some some reason I am getting very small bubbles at side of head. Still tastes good but annoying me that doesn't look as good as first keg. Anyone any suggestions what may be wrong.

My pints of Guinness have just got worse, more bubbles at side of head, the head is not as white as it should be and the head is going flat very quickly. The taste is not as smooth as it was.
    Does anyone think it is the hot weather having an effect on the gas mix as the liquid in Guinness keg getting to warm. I have my taps in shed and it gets pretty warm inside and when I turn on the beer cooler it gets even warmer, to warm to sit in

My pints of Guinness have just got worse, more bubbles at side of head, the head is not as white as it should be and the head is going flat very quickly. The taste is not as smooth as it was.
    Does anyone think it is the hot weather having an effect on the gas mix as the liquid in Guinness keg getting to warm. I have my taps in shed and it gets pretty warm inside and when I turn on the beer cooler it gets even warmer, to warm to sit in

I've done a good bit of research over the past few days and I've a feeling it's to do with the temperature of our kegs.

A good few threads on micromatic on similar issues.

Most of us I take it are using a flash cooling system, under counter cooler?

And the big temperature change from the keg after it comes out of the cooler is having some effect.

I've since tweaked with my cooler, it was running through twice and now I'm running it through once.

Pulled about 6 pints last night and soild head, (18mm) yes I did measure it, haha. And held creamy the whole way down.

Like the kegs where I had them were at about 19 degree in the back kitchen.

I'll post a picture later of a pulled pint just for reference here.

Does your cooler bang out the warm air even after like 12 hours of being on? My back kitchen is warm for first 12 hours or so then it's stops banging out as much warm air.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yup, keep your kegs in the fridge prior to serving.

RasTa wrote: »
    Yup, keep your kegs in the fridge prior to serving.

I've no fridge to hold a 50L keg is the problem!

I have my keg in a fridge all the time. Set to 7 degrees.
    I get those bubbles in the side of the head too.

I have been cleaning my lines with just water. Thinking it is something to do with that. Have order proper stuff to clean the line to see if that makes a difference.

I find the bubbles get less the more you drink :P

I was having the best pints ever before I cleaned my lines. I'm thinking that maybe I didn't clean them properly. I may not have rinsed them out enough after running the cleaning detergent through them. But the pints were not 2 bad after cleaning but started to get worse as I went on. It is so annoying when you know how great they can be.
    I have under counter cooler and it gives out hot air and combined with been in my shed it was getting pretty hot in there. I was reading somewhere that the heat can create problems with the gas forming in the Guinness at higher temp. Going to wait till keg is finished and give a good clean down and hope I get back to where I was at the beginning.

I've done a good bit of research over the past few days and I've a feeling it's to do with the temperature of our kegs.

A good few threads on micromatic on similar issues.

Most of us I take it are using a flash cooling system, under counter cooler?

And the big temperature change from the keg after it comes out of the cooler is having some effect.

I've since tweaked with my cooler, it was running through twice and now I'm running it through once.

Pulled about 6 pints last night and soild head, (18mm) yes I did measure it, haha. And held creamy the whole way down.

Like the kegs where I had them were at about 19 degree in the back kitchen.

I'll post a picture later of a pulled pint just for reference here.

Does your cooler bang out the warm air even after like 12 hours of being on? My back kitchen is warm for first 12 hours or so then it's stops banging out as much warm air.

My cooler runs like that for the first 3 to 4 hours then calms down and kicks in every now and again when it goes below a certain temperature. It hope it is just with this really warm spell as I was having some of the best pints ever before this heat and cleaning my lines. So hopefully I have them 2 things to try and resolve my problem. I wonder if I got on to Guinness would they send somebody around. 😅😅

I tonk it may have been the heat, see pic from today. Getting alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Same issue here with Guinness. Was lovely at the start.
    I think once I cleaned out the lines it worsened. I cleaned with cold water only. Bubbly head and not a great colour either.
    Where is best to get proper cleaning fluid?

Also got a Heineken keg going the weekend. But it was flying out of the tap and was a pint full of white until it kinda settled (like Guinness)
    Anyone any experience with Heineken?

BullBauld wrote: »
    Same issue here with Guinness. Was lovely at the start.
    I think once I cleaned out the lines it worsened. I cleaned with cold water only. Bubbly head and not a great colour either.
    Where is best to get proper cleaning fluid?

Also got a Heineken keg going the weekend. But it was flying out of the tap and was a pint full of white until it kinda settled (like Guinness)
    Anyone any experience with Heineken?

Lagers are a pain to get right.

Have you different gas for the lager or using the suremix?

What PSI you using? If it's it same as Guinness that may be your problem as Guinness is way higher than what you'd run for Heineken,

I had Coors and Guinness running through the one gas and was a pain 2 be honest and rather have the Guinness right than go messing with it to fix the Coors.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Lagers are a pain to get right.

Have you different gas for the lager or using the suremix?

What PSI you using? If it's it same as Guinness that may be your problem as Guinness is way higher than what you'd run for Heineken,

I had Coors and Guinness running through the one gas and was a pain 2 be honest and rather have the Guinness right than go messing with it to fix the Coors.

No I had it running on a separate gas, 50:50.
    It was all head but no bubbles at all.... just flat.

Have you tweaked with the PSI? I was in a house the weekend the Coors PSI needed to be increased to get the beer to actually have gas in it. The gas bottle was near empty and 20 pints later it was gone and as you said beer was "flat" at this point. Gauge was reading 8psi at the time it was dead. Was running it at higher PSI than whats recommended for lagers.

• Advertisement

Have you tweaked with the PSI? I was in a house the weekend the Coors PSI needed to be increased to get the beer to actually have gas in it. The gas bottle was near empty and 20 pints later it was gone and as you said beer was "flat" at this point. Gauge was reading 8psi at the time it was dead. Was running it at higher PSI than whats recommended for lagers.

I'm running my Guinness and heinekin from the same gas and pressure. Have you got the heiniken on a different tap. If so you can control the flow by a ring at the back of faucet. It can take a couple of pints to get right. Turn it to the right as much as you can, this will slow the flow down to a minimum. Every pint you pour twist slightly to the left as you begin to pour but only slightly for each pint until you get happy medium. You can still put head on heiniken by stopping near the top and just pulling tap slightly forward. I think the heiniken is nicer with the stout gas and everyone who has tried a pint was surprised at how good it tastes. We will all be pros in time for next summer. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Hows the going lads. I'm looking to see if I can get a home set up going for guinness. I have a kegerator made from a fridge already for homebrew corney kegs. What I'm looking to see is if one of the lads here with a home set up for guinness would be able to take a minimum height measurement for the keg with coupler attached so I'll know if the same fridge will do or am I starting from scratch.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭jt69er

What are you washing your glasses with?

I'm running my Guinness and heinekin from the same gas and pressure. Have you got the heiniken on a different tap. If so you can control the flow by a ring at the back of faucet. It can take a couple of pints to get right. Turn it to the right as much as you can, this will slow the flow down to a minimum. Every pint you pour twist slightly to the left as you begin to pour but only slightly for each pint until you get happy medium. You can still put head on heiniken by stopping near the top and just pulling tap slightly forward. I think the heiniken is nicer with the stout gas and everyone who has tried a pint was surprised at how good it tastes. We will all be pros in time for next summer. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Yes, I was setting the flow alright. And giving the back slab at the end to increase the head.

It was we were running off a very high PSI until the gas went and had to otherwise beer was flat.

A stout glass? Would that not hold the carbonation as good as the sandblasted bottoms on the lager glasses?

pelliven wrote: »
    Hows the going lads. I'm looking to see if I can get a home set up going for guinness. I have a kegerator made from a fridge already for homebrew corney kegs. What I'm looking to see is if one of the lads here with a home set up for guinness would be able to take a minimum height measurement for the keg with coupler attached so I'll know if the same fridge will do or am I starting from scratch.
    Thanks in advance

80cms to the top of the line as seen in photo attached.

rsz-img-20200818-005210.jpg

@shmeee. Thanks for the reply. Caught for 5 cms🀬.

Yes, I was setting the flow alright. And giving the back slab at the end to increase the head.

It was we were running off a very high PSI until the gas went and had to otherwise beer was flat.

A stout glass? Would that not hold the carbonation as good as the sandblasted bottoms on the lager glasses?

Sorry, stout gas, the 70/30 mix.

pelliven wrote: »
    @shmeee. Thanks for the reply. Caught for 5 cms🀬.

Is yours a homemade kegerator?

I couldn’t find an undercounter fridge that would work. Mainly due to the motor/compressor cutting into the bottom of the fridge.

I had to get a taller one
    (Sorry for the sideways pics, and I have added a proper drip tray since)

A cleaning bottle arrived today, just waiting for the solution to follow.

Yeah , mines a homemade one.

• Advertisement

looks good, would have liked a non white fridge, i might get mine wrapped some day

Advertisement