Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee Bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,648 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I was referring to the Honduras beans. Not the Kenyan. From what you're saying the Kenyan look alot better.

I know you were, that is why I commented on the roast of the Kenyan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have just tried the Kenyan. I certainly wouldn't say the beans were dark or over roasted. They are very dry and non-oily. I do double espressos and the taste is fairly acidic with a fair astringency as well.

I would say it's medium flavourful and is certainly palatable with a very long lasting finish, but it's nothing like as good as the Guatemalan or Brazilian bargains from Aldi I mentioned a while ago, the former being up there with anything I have tried from Ponaire. It's infinitely better than the burnt hydrochloric acid Starbucks in Zurich airport served when I bought something that was supposed to be coffee. Worst I have ever tasted. Physicists should enquire as to how they manage to get the liquid to be 105° C when the boiling point of water is known to be less

Increasing pressure maybe!

you can superheat water above 100° using a microwave and smooth container... that can be dangerous though as it doesn't look like it's ' boiling' hot...until you throw in a spoon of sugar.
    (Don't do that)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Lavazza Red ground coffee €2.49 and beans €3.00 in Tesco at moment. Not the best coffee in the world maybe, but decent and good value at that price.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254889083

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=278583874

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bell Lane doing 15% off with code PADDY :)

Lidl - €4.99 500g

20170321_110941_zpsh9q6lzki.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Lidl - €4.99 500g

Are they nice??

I don't know yet, just picked them up today and still have a current grind I'm working on consuming. I'll try grinding some tomorrow and report back. Certainly smelt nice.

Yum. Really nice. Reminds my of the Sumatran I have had from Ponnaire, except creamier. I'll definitely be stocking up with more than the 4 bags I have already bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I have those Lidl beans in my machine at the minute and they are pretty decent.

longshanks wrote: »
    I have those Lidl beans in my machine at the minute and they are pretty decent.

Got them after, at 5 euro for 500g they are decent. must stock up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

I bought a load of beans from Bell Lane during their Paddy's day sale. I've just finished the bag of their house blend and I wasn't overly impressed. It was fine but no better than the Lavazza beans I usually buy in Tesco.

Lidl - €4.99 500g

Reduced to 3.31 at the moment. Stock up..

Glebee wrote: »
    Reduced to 3.31 at the moment. Stock up..

I did, last week, 8 packets. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Those lidl beans are burnt.
    Would be good for setting the grinder

How do you mean!

Mine aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Any pictures of those Lidl beans themselves? Wouldn't be interested in a medium/dark roast myself.

Made a cup with them and the taste was not nice
    No backround flavours either.
    Red lavazza beans would be my goto value beans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Made a cup with them and the taste was not nice
    No backround flavours either.

De gustibus non est disputandum, phelix.

What you call burnt, I call dark roast, which is how I like my coffee.

What did not please your palate suits mine quite well - a full, rounded, flavour more akin to dark chocolate then to fruit drinks.

At the price, it's not going to break the bank for those who might give it a try. I think that quite a few might like it.

Ive had those Lidl beans now in both the espresso machine and aeropress and for the price they are I cant fault them. I suppose all tastes are different though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

If you have a bank of Ireland student visa you get a huge discount in insomnia, around 20%.

Any pictures of those Lidl beans themselves? Wouldn't be interested in a medium/dark roast myself.

LBrazil%20RCosta%20Rica_zpsejdyz0iw.jpg

A brazillian coffee from Aldi on the left and the Costa Rican from Lidl on the right.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a lightly roasted coffee, though I have heard of such a thing. Think it must be like unicorns.

Glebee wrote: »
    Ive had those Lidl beans now in both the espresso machine and aeropress and for the price they are I cant fault them. I suppose all tastes are different though

Yup a wee bit on the roasted side. But I take a tonne of sugar.
    I ground it down and added a few vanilla pods/seeds.

But I have great taste.

But I have great taste.

Has Red Lavazza improved then? Last I tried that stuff was in Australia about 7 years ago and I thought it would be good for stripping paint.

Has Red Lavazza improved then? Last I tried that stuff was in Australia about 7 years ago and I thought it would be good for stripping paint.
    It cuts both ways: just because you don't like Red Lavazza doesn't mean that it is bad. It happens that I don't like it either.

But here's the useful bit: phelix telling us that he liked Red Lavazza is a good indicator that any coffee he recommends might not be to my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

It cuts both ways: just because you don't like Red Lavazza doesn't mean that it is bad. It happens that I don't like it either.

But here's the useful bit: phelix telling us that he liked Red Lavazza is a good indicator that any coffee he recommends might not be to my taste.

What if we think Red Lavazza is sh*te and Lidl's coffee not great too ?

alec76 wrote: »
    What if we think Red Lavazza is sh*te and Lidl's coffee not great too ?
    Then you can disregard phelix's opinion and mine. Be guided by those whose tastes resemble yours.

This is what we call a coffee filter.

I actually like Red Lavazza.... so there.

• Advertisement

I thinks its ok as well:(

Advertisement