Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Dois Corvos Bambi brown ale. Delightful, toasty, roast malt, hint of smokiness and quite a carbonated mouthfeel which I'm enjoying.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Salt House tonight, Galway. Started with their Going Out West double IPA. Loaded with flavour, but took a while to finish. Accidentally got 2 glasses of Scarecrow (hoppy farmhouse ale) when I tried to order 1, but I enjoyed finishing both. Wish GBB would hurry up and open in Limerick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Those cloudwater beers aren't cheap. 330ml too. Had to grab some of these http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/left-hand-black-jack-porter/431/ for €1 in drinkstore to offset my heart attack

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Stone's 'Go To IPA' is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Brewdog Ship Wreck last night. It wasn't really for me, I felt the initial strong sweet hit didn't really work with the smokiness at the end. It did mellow out as it warmed up a bit but still didn't do it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rumun

Toppling Goliath and infamous golden nugget.
    quick reflection after i crushed empty can- galway bay has much to learn.

RasTa wrote: »
    I see some cloudwater beers have arrived at McHugh's

Its everywhere tap take over in beer market v6 also in pc mac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Rumun wrote: »
    Its everywhere tap take over in beer market v6 also in pc mac

I'm guessing €8 for 330ml. Tis a lovely beer but not worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hanscraft & Co. Backbone Splitter IPA. Really enjoying this, smooth bodied, hoppy and fruity flavours to the fore. 6.6%.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Hanscraft & Co. Backbone Splitter IPA. Really enjoying this, smooth bodied, hoppy and fruity flavours to the fore. 6.6%.
    Possibly my favourite German IPA. Loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm guessing €8 for 330ml. Tis a lovely beer but not worth the price.

NINE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Jack Cody's Duxie grapefruit tea pale ale is very disappointing...Sorry Jack:(

picked up a Speight's Gold Medal Ale in Molloy's, it caught my eye and I just got it as a little nostalgia trip.

I don't regret it.

Drinking a Black's Mosaic IPA. Hmm, it might not be at it's best, BB April 17. Slight onion thing going on.

I have a Kinnegar Brown sour

Dieu de Ciel/The Alchemist Moralité Apa
    Max on ratebeer for a reson

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JoeLapira

New Off Licence opened nearby with a decent Craft selection, got myself:

White Hag Little Fawn Session IPA
    Cotton Ball Kerry Lane Pale Ale
    Cotton Ball Indian Summer

Have had all 3 now and the Session IPA is by far the best, have never had anything by either of these breweries before but i doubt i'll be buying anything from Cotton Ball again, 2 very poor beers.

Their stout is ok.

I had a No Joe porter from O Brother, lovely beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Drinking Butxon's Ring Your Mother - really love this, fully bodied and very well rounded.

Going to follow it up with a Millionaires Stout:)

Watching Brazil vs Germany drinking The Bells Brewing Company-Oberon wheat ale

NINE!!

That's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a cloudwater DIPA v6 last night. It was lovely and balanced

Also had a To Ol Gose to Hollywood. It was nice, a little bit sour without too much and just enough of a bite to go with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Had a going out west last night in the Beer Market. Its a nice beer, very basic malt. You can really taste caramel from the malt bill. Its very bitter I like DIPAs that way. Very dank hops, it could use some more aroma hops I think. The hops are very dank. 5.25 for 330ml seems pretty pricey.

Cloudwater v7 DIPA is 9.25 for 330cl. Not a hope im paying that, what a rip off!!! I had V6 it in bottle the day before. Nice DIPA, too balanced though. DIPAs shouldn't be balanced in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_130886.jpg

Firestone Walker Velvet Merlin Oatmeal Stout

The finest oatmeal stout I've had yet. Very smooth and subtle flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That bottle looks gorgeous.

What do you like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Passenger wrote: »
    beer_130886.jpg

Must try that one. I really love their dark ipa Wookey Jack. Well worth a try if you haven't had it.

Trond wrote: »
    Must try that one. I really love their dark ipa Wookey Jack. Well worth a try if you haven't had it.

Had Wookie Jack in The Beer Market last week. Lovely stuff alright.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

beer_130886.jpg

Alfie Byrne's had that on draught when I was there a couple of weeks ago, but I never got round to trying it. Regretting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Any feedback on White Hags belgian pale ale, worth getting a growler of?

Had the new GBB DIPA 'Going out west', wasn't very good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Zaph wrote: »
    Alfie Byrne's had that on draught when I was there a couple of weeks ago, but I never got round to trying it. Regretting it now.
    Saw it on draught in Porterhouse Central yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

beer_130886.jpg

Is that Barrel Aged or just a regular Oatmeal Stout?
    They have one called Velvet Merkin also. I've had the regular oatmeal stout but it's a different bottle than that, it has a black label. I also had the nitro version which was lovely.
    There are a couple nice oatmeal stouts available in California.
    Recently I've had Sierra Nevada's Octoberfest which was very nice, easy drinking and nice and malty. I'd love to see something like it year round.
    I also had Lagunitas Stoopid Wit, I suppose you would called it a hoppy Belgian Wit. It had the familar Lagunitas hoppy smell but it didn't come through as much on the taste which was more Belgian but had a hoppy kick. A very enjoyable refreshing beer.

Advertisement