Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Trond wrote: »
    :D Glad you're getting some use out of it!!! Whats killing me is I originally had the PX Cask in my hand but swapped at the last minute :mad:

I'm sure Irn Bru and Ginger Ale (both laced with aspartame at that) would horrify most people as an accompaniment to anything with the Laphroig brand on it!

Still, even without duty free the two litres cost me about €60 in total - Copenhagen Airport is rather cheap. That is almost mixing whiskey territory price wise, and the Black Grouse was a bit better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

:D Glad you're getting some use out of it!!! Whats killing me is I originally had the PX Cask in my hand but swapped at the last minute :mad:

Next purchase will be another bottle of Nikka Coffey Grain. Its fantastic.

I told im getting a bottle of Penderyn as a pressie. Heard its pretty nice ??

I visited the distillery a couple of years ago. I particularly liked the Sherrywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Had the end of a bottle of gentleman jack. Then cracked a makers mark...

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I'm passing through Dublin airport and will have an opportunity to pick up something.

I've a small drop of redbreast 12 and green spot at home and was going to get a top up.

I've not tried any Japanese whisky, would it be a good time to pick up a Nikka in Dublin instead of going with the old reliables?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm passing through Dublin airport and will have an opportunity to pick up something.

I've a small drop of redbreast 12 and green spot at home and was going to get a top up.

I've not tried any Japanese whisky, would it be a good time to pick up a Nikka in Dublin instead of going with the old reliables?

Probably too late but Nikka From the Barrel is highly rated and reasonably priced in DUB.

Picked up a bottle of Cardhu 12yo in Madrid airport for only 20 beans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Check you were actually charged that - was 20.70 in Santiago de Compostella yesterday but they charged me 29!

However, it was cancelled out by a 20% off the dearest two so I never noticed; never noticed the 20% deal was there in the first place.

Bought a litre of J&B as my best mate has good memories of drinking it from when he was younger, broker and had a Scottish girlfriend; a litre of JW Double Black and 70cl of Cardhu for 66.40 in total after that discount - should have been ~57 though. If I hadn't already being utterly taking the mickey with my cabin baggage allowance I would have bought more!

The general market stuff was insanely cheap, from 12-17 quid for a litre; but the newer travel retail exclusives were mostly towards 50 those I bought. That said, some like Talisker Dark Storm are nearer 80 duty-paid in Dublin so still significant savings if you wanted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

L1011 wrote: »
    Check you were actually charged that - was 20.70 in Santiago de Compostella yesterday but they charged me 29!

However, it was cancelled out by a 20% off the dearest two so I never noticed; never noticed the 20% deal was there in the first place.

Bought a litre of J&B as my best mate has good memories of drinking it from when he was younger, broker and had a Scottish girlfriend; a litre of JW Double Black and 70cl of Cardhu for 66.40 in total after that discount - should have been ~57 though. If I hadn't already being utterly taking the mickey with my cabin baggage allowance I would have bought more!

The general market stuff was insanely cheap, from 12-17 quid for a litre; but the newer travel retail exclusives were mostly towards 50 those I bought. That said, some like Talisker Dark Storm are nearer 80 duty-paid in Dublin so still significant savings if you wanted.

Handed over exactly 20.70 in cash to the guy. :D

I travel a lot and have picked up a few travel exclusives (none of which have an age statement) for around 50 alright, which would be my budget. I wasn't going to buy anything this trip, but 20.70 is far too good to turn down.

I've been trying to find an English language outlet to moan at WorldDutyFree Spain because I suspect the UK twitter wouldn't know what to do; but I doubt they'll do anything. I want my cheap whiskys even cheaper dammit!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Bought a couple of bottles of crested 10 - one for the whiskey collection as it's about to rebranded as "crested" - opened one last night and really like it - lovely sherried tones - far superior to standard Jameson in my view . Plus local Supervalu are selling it for 30 at the moment - it's 36 normally.

It's now on special in O'Briens for 27 - grab it while you can

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I know one bar near me where Crested 10 is cheaper than standard Jameson. Which I discovered when I asked them did they have any good whiskeys. The barman was very proud of it, and delighted someone was drinking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Nice to see Crested 10 getting some love. I've long been of the opinion that it and Black Bush are far superior to most other "normal" Irish whiskey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Nice to see Crested 10 getting some love. I've long been of the opinion that it and Black Bush are far superior to most other "normal" Irish whiskey's.

Both are lovely, black bush for €25 in obriens at the moment.

Black Bush tends to be around 4 euro a dram in pubs as well which is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

What are people's views on ice in whiskey?
    I've had some people say it's a no, others say the ice releases more flavours....would it be more down to individual whiskies?
    I have a Redbreast 12yo and wondering neat or ice? ....not a huge whiskey drinker, the extent of my purchases so far would be Created Ten, so I'm trying to expand my limited knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

What are people's views on ice in whiskey? I've had some people say it's a no, others say the ice releases more flavours....would it be more down to individual whiskies? I have a Redbreast 12yo and wondering neat or ice? ....not a huge whiskey drinker, the extent of my purchases so far would be Created Ten, so I'm trying to expand my limited knowledge.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, try a few different ways and whatever works best for you go for it, don't mind how people think about it.

Ice will make it colder which in theory would suppress flavour, as well as dilute it slightly. But try it anyway. My personal taste like a few drops of room temperature water. Some like it neat. But experiment try and taste and go with what tastes best to you.

Probably too late but Nikka From the Barrel is highly rated and reasonably priced in DUB.

I picked up a Nikka black, opened it up last night. Tastes very different to what i usually try at home. I also picked up single malt irishman, haven't tried it yet but the sample in the airport was nice at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Black Barrel is 35 in Dunnes at the moment, good choice to drink this month at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

VW 1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, try a few different ways and whatever works best for you go for it, don't mind how people think about it.

Ice will make it colder which in theory would suppress flavour, as well as dilute it slightly. But try it anyway. My personal taste like a few drops of room temperature water. Some like it neat. But experiment try and taste and go with what tastes best to you.

This.
    The way you like to drink it is the best way to drink it - as long as you've tried the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

Tried Teelings Single Malt last week, it was sensational. Had a Crested Ten too and I was very surprised with the quality considering the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

Took a punt on the Aldi Highland Black 8 yo blend. for 18 bean I'm pretty impressed, lightly peated, smooth, very short finish and not all that complex, which I guess makes since given the age.

Grand for stock whiskey, good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Trying to broaden my Whiskey horizons, so picked up a bottle of Talisker 10yo, in duty free. I thought I might struggle to differentiate the subtle nuances between whiskeys, but alas, no - the Talisker is not to my liking at all. Struggling to get beyond the medicinal TCP taste. Had to do a google search just to make sure it wasn't a counterfeit product, but it seems to be a pretty common reaction/view. I hate to say that I find the cheapy bourbon I bought from LIDL or ALDI (for making Whiskey sours), is to my palate, a much nicer neat drink.

Not everyone even vaguely likes smoky whiskey. If you can't finish it I can offer it a good home!

What else have you had? If you like bourbon you're more likely to find Irish and Speyside Scotch to your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not everyone even vaguely likes smoky whiskey. If you can't finish it I can offer it a good home!

What else have you had? If you like bourbon you're more likely to find Irish and Speyside Scotch to your liking.
    Thanks for the generous offer, but feel it would be remiss of me not to keep trying, for at least another 750ml. I'm a big fan of smoked beers, so would've thought that it would appeal, but the flavour association is medicinal, rather than smokey. Greenspot is the favourite, though I haven't tried very many whiskeys. I like the caramel notes you get from some of the bourbons I've tried.

Thanks for the generous offer, but feel it would be remiss of me not to keep trying, for at least another 750ml. I'm a big fan of smoked beers, so would've thought that it would appeal, but the flavour association is medicinal, rather than smokey.

"Medicinal" is a common enough taste profile to get from Islays.
    Greenspot is the favourite, though I haven't tried very many whiskeys. I like the caramel notes you get from some of the bourbons I've tried.

If you don't grow to the smoky/TCP taste I'd definitely suggest staying with Irish - there's quite a variety there; just avoid Connemara. Also maybe try a Speyside like Cardhu in a bar before spending a wedge on a bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Thanks for the generous offer, but feel it would be remiss of me not to keep trying, for at least another 750ml. I'm a big fan of smoked beers, so would've thought that it would appeal, but the flavour association is medicinal, rather than smokey. Greenspot is the favourite, though I haven't tried very many whiskeys. I like the caramel notes you get from some of the bourbons I've tried.

Try a cardhu 12 year old to get into scotch OP
    It's a speyside very smooth
    That's how I got into Scottish

Hi all
    Was up the north today
    Got the following
    Redbreast £31
    Jura £22
    Aberlour £24
    Old pultney £25

brinty wrote: »
    Hi all
    Was up the north today
    Got the following
    Redbreast £31
    Jura £22
    Aberlour £24
    Old pultney £25

Off licence or just in a shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

"Medicinal" is a common enough taste profile to get from Islays.

If you don't grow to the smoky/TCP taste I'd definitely suggest staying with Irish - there's quite a variety there; just avoid Connemara. Also maybe try a Speyside like Cardhu in a bar before spending a wedge on a bottle.

Not sure I'd entirely agree with sticking with Irish. The number of non-peated Scottish whiskies out numbers all Irish whiskies.

Off licence or just in a shop?

First three were in Sainsburys
    Last one in Asda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Timistry wrote: »
    Tried Teelings Single Malt last week, it was sensational. Had a Crested Ten too and I was very surprised with the quality considering the price.

CT at 25-30 euro is great value against the likes of Redbreast or Green Spot at 55-62.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement