Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2011 Cooking Club Week 35: Focaccia & Panzanella

• 05-09-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭

Focaccia & Panzanella

I decided to do a couple of simple recipes, as one can be used as an ingredient for the other! Panzanella is a Tuscan bread and tomato salad, best made with stale bread, so focaccia leftovers are ideal. I have some (not great) pictures, as I constantly forgot to pause for pics at the appropriate junctures. Hopefully it will be simple enough to follow anyway! :o

FOCACCIA
    Ingredients
    500g strong white flour
    Sachet of dried yeast
    280ml warm water
    6-7 tbsp olive oil
    2 tsps sea salt, with more for sprinkling
    Rosemary, some chopped, some for sprinkling

Measure about half the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, yeast and the chopped rosemary (I forgot to buy some :o) and mix well. Pour in the warm water and about 3 tbsp of oil and mix with a spoon until combined. Gradually add the remaining flour, spoon by spoon, and mix with the spoon until it gets too dry to mix, like this:

th_Sept2011011.jpg

I normally have about 100g of flour left at this stage, and it's a good time to tip it onto a floured board and start kneading - you have about 10 mins of this to do! Just keep adding in more flour bit by bit until it's all combined as you knead.

Place the dough in an oiled mixing bowl...

th_Sept2011012.jpg

...and allow to rise at room temperature for 2 hours until doubled in size.

th_Sept2011013.jpg

Now transfer the dough to an oiled swiss roll tin or baking tray, and stretch it out to all the corners. Leave for another 45 mins!

th_Sept2011014.jpg

Now use your finger to make a load of intentations all over the dough. Leave for yet another 45 mins. Pour the remaining few tbsp of olive oil over the dough, so that it settles in some of the hollows. Spinkle over a little salt and some rosemary.

th_Sept2011015.jpg

Bake in a pre-heated oven (about 180/GM 5) for about 15-20 mins - keep an eye on it - until golden brown, then allow to cool on a wire tray.

th_Sept2011016.jpg

PANZANELLA
    Ingredients
    About 500g cherry tomatoes
    A small red onion or shallot, finely chopped
    Some olive oil
    A few springs of thyme and oregano
    1/4 tsp sugar
    A large handful of stale bread
    Salt
    Garlic clove
    Balsamic vinegar (optional)
    Basil

I think the following is a nice step for this salad, although not necessary if you want an instant dish with no cooking. Nigella describes these as "moonblush" tomatoes, as you allow them to cook slowly overnight.

Chop all the tomatoes in half and place flat-side up in an oven-proof dish. Sprinkle over the thyme, oregano, sugar and onion, then pour a bit of olive oil over the lot. Preheat the oven to about 200/GM 7, stick in the tomatoes, turn OFF the oven, and leave them for about 12 hours. By morning they should be just soft, sweet and juicy and ideal for the salad.

th_Sept2011017.jpg

Tear up the stale bread into bite-sized pieces. Tip in the tomatoes and torn basil leaves and mix well. Add a crushed garlic clove to a couple of tbsp of olive oil and a tsp of balsamic vinegar (if you like) and add this mixture to the salad. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

th_Sept2011018.jpg

You can add a few different ingredients to the salad, depending on how you feel - pancetta lardons, boiled egg, tuna flakes, chunks of cheese. It's quite versatile. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Raqndomer

Looks absolutley yum! Nothing beats a good foccacia :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

Panzanella is one of my new favourite things after a holiday with family this summer- thanks for the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Had this last night and really liked it. The bread is great!

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=11194

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

\o/

Yay, I knew I could count on Little Alex to make my dish :D I can't complain, as I have been really slack on making the recipes this year. I do still make a lot of the old tried and trusted ones though. And I AM going to do the Snickerdoodles, promise.

Glad you liked it anyway, I love the bread too - real treat :o

\o/ :pac:

I should say too that the bread is really "robust" and can stand up to being soaked in dressing without going mushy (... not like that episode of CDWM :D).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

\o/ :pac:

I should say too that the bread is really "robust" and can stand up to being soaked in dressing without going mushy (... not like that episode of CDWM :D).

Tbh, that's part of the reason I haven't tried the Pazanella. :D It didn't look very appetizing on that episode. I must try it over the weekend. Or at the very least I'll give the bread a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Oh, I didn't see that CDWM! Can see why people would be turned off! Alex's picture looks amazing though, better than mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I somehow missed this recipe! I don't know how! :eek:

It looks wonderful. Will definitely be making the bread.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Tbh, that's part of the reason I haven't tried the Pazanella. :D It didn't look very appetizing on that episode. I must try it over the weekend. Or at the very least I'll give the bread a go.
    Malari wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't see that CDWM! Can see why people would be turned off! Alex's picture looks amazing though, better than mine.

Yeah, I think that fellow put a lot of people off panzanella.

As always on Come Dine: the bigger the boasting waffler, the worse the slop that gets dished up. :D
    I somehow missed this recipe! I don't know how! :eek:

It looks wonderful. Will definitely be making the bread.

You know, there are some really great recipes that get put up, but don't get many replies. This is one of them! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We had this last night, along with a bowl of pasta.

Lovely recipe.

I used the focaccia for the panzanella, of course! I'm a huge fan of a good and salty focaccia.

I placed cling film over the bread after taking it out of the oven while cooling down to keep it nice and soft.

CC-2011-35-Focaccia-and-Panzanella.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement