Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your plans for Christmas?

• 14-12-2015 12:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to my Mam's for dinner on the big day, probably have a few drinks and watch awful crap on TV as well. Christmas Eve will be spent in the pub most likely.

Working everyday except Christmas day and the following Monday. I'd die of boredom otherwise.

So, good folk of AH, whats your itinerary for Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Family start arriving next week, so my younger sister will be moving into my tiny room so they can fill it up. It'll be fun I guess, even though we'll get on each others nerves pretty quick. On christmas eve we always go and see a movie every year, don't know what movie we'll be seeing yet, then we always get KFC and eat it at home watching its a wonderful life. On christmas morning I'll get up with the young un early so she can do her presents, then the rest of them will slope out of bed at various times of the morning before mass, mass, rest of the presents, go for a good long walk, come back and eat rubbish food while watching bad tv, christmas dinner, more bad tv, bed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ohs children (22 and 25) arriving Christmas Eve for a week.

They will be tasked with cleaning their rooms, then taken to the off licence to ensure they have booze.

Xmas day, the OH will go to church, then we will put dinner on, turkey, goose, duck and ham, and everyone apart from me will eat themselves stupid for several hours.

I'm doing a thesis so I will probably do some work on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Geoffrey Dalton

Get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Walk to our lovely local pub Christmas Eve about five, meet with friends, home about 8 or so before the place gets mobbed. Great atmosphere altogether. I love that bit of Christmas, because it's really all over Stephen's Day. Everyone is knackered.

Christmas Day it is just me OH and my Mam this year, too many offspring and various babies and poor Mam is just not able for all the noise and mayhem for a full day anymore. So we all gather in our house about 11am, bedlam for an hour or two with all the gang. Then peace. And food. And drink. And general slobbing around.

Mam has to see the Queen's speech, so dinner is after that. She is not very well so we always think every Christmas this is her last one. But she is a tough old bird, probably like my turkey!

After that it is kind of boring really. But in an enjoyable kind of way if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Thailand. Poor me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Finishing work the 21st and not back until the 4th of Jan so will head home on the 22nd and spend all Christmas and New Years at home and drive back on the 3rd probably for work the following day. My siblings will also be home for the full Christmas so will be the full family in the house which is great.

Christmas will be a mixture of relaxing at home, bit of farming and a number of nights out. Mass and pub Christmas Eve and dinner with the family Christmas Day then of course.

I'd hate to have to work during the Christmas luckily it's not something I ever have to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

rodge68 wrote: »
    Thailand. Poor me...
    Excuse my ignorance but does Christmas exist over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Usual routine with the family! Christmas Eve shall be spent in the pub. Christmas Day shall be spent eating and drinking. Maybe the odd game of Scrabble aswell if we're feeling wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Avoid arguments, eat lots, drink a little, see The Frames, twice.. and a surprise from Santa.

• Advertisement

Torricelli wrote: »

Don't think so, not a Christian country I believe.

But that is probably why s/he is going there in the first place, and the weather can be good too!

I'll be really good now, and I won't mention all the other kind of things one can get up to in Bankgok. lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I'm off to me auntie's gaff this year, along with 11 other relatives. My aunt is making turkey and ham but the rest of us are bringing along a dish each. I'm still trying to decide what to make- either brownies, chocolate Guinness cake or toffee apple loaf. Regardless, I'll be baking up a storm on Christmas Eve.
    In me own house, we're about to put the tree up tomorrow along with the decorations, as per tradition. My mother hates premature Christmas decorations so we usually do it around the 14th anyway. Might need to go to Lidl to pick up a pudding but generally, everything is mostly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Eat.

I don't know if it happens to anyone else, but I get cabin fever if I am in someone else's house for Christmas Day.

I hope I am not odd or anything (probably am!), I enjoy the dinner and the craic and all that but I get very restless when it's two hours or so after dinner and I am not in my comfort zone at home.

So glad I'm spending Christmas Day in our house this year. First one for five years. Yay

I'll be working during the day Xmas day.
    Someone has to look after ye!!
    Working Nights St Stephens night!

So Xmas day evening relaxing after a big dinner is my plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

get pissed as quick as possible and off to bed.

Wake up groggy but glad it's all over for another year.

Torricelli wrote: »

Erm not really. .. they put up decorations and Christmas trees etc ( anything for business, I guess)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I'll stay in my mums house on Christmas Eve. Myself and my sisters usually get up early and open our presents. Get ready for mass then. (I couldn't be bothered but my mum would never forgive us if we didn't go). Come home and help with dinner. Have dinner where someone will have an argument!

After dinner we usually watch TV until the evening. We then go up to my cousins house and spend the evening there. I'll go home to my boyfriend (and cats) then for the night.

We do the same thing every single year and I don't think I'd be happy if it changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Hopefully everything will be done by Christmas Eve and it will be spent sitting down with the kids for a take away and to watch some films.

Christmas Day will be spent putting toys together, enjoying the hell of a feast my OH puts together and probably some TV once the kids are gone to bed.

Stephens Day is a repeat. And then will probably head up to my parents the following day.

Don't think so, not a Christian country I believe.

But that is probably why s/he is going there in the first place, and the weather can be good too!

I'll be really good now, and I won't mention all the other kind of things one can get up to in Bankgok. lol.

It's warm and cheap and great food and should be fun..I hope..no I'm not going as I sex tourist !! Honest.....

• Advertisement

rodge68 wrote: »
    It's warm and cheap and great food and should be fun..I hope..no I'm not going as I sex tourist !! Honest.....

Now you know I was only stirring it!

Hope you have a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

No different than a usual Sunday dinner ?.. But with gifts.... No one notices its Christmas really......

..... Except me, at least as regards usual Sundays I will be off work,

Now you know I was only stirring it!

Hope you have a great trip.

Thanks..Will try my best !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I finish work on Friday until the 4th. Can't wait because my wife has the same time off and we'll make the most of it with the kids.
    Christmas Day itself - head over to there in-laws and stuff ourselves silly and stay there the night. My wife's brother will be back from America with his wife but her other brother is going to France with his girlfriend.
    The whole week kicks off with a massive family event next Sunday with all the family and relatives for Kris Kindle.
    Can't wait, I absolutely love this time of year.
    I used to be a Christmas Cynic but my wife's family are all incredibly close so it's a great time of year and it's really all about the kids. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Will spend the day watching my aul fella to see how pissed he gets and throw him dirty looks, he will start an argument at some point that may or may not end up in a huge row which would end up with my ma balling and christmas dinner either not made or had in bedrooms.

ardinn wrote: »
    Will spend the day watching my aul fella to see how pissed he gets and throw him dirty looks, he will start an argument at some point that may or may not end up in a huge row which would end up with my ma balling and christmas dinner either not made or had in bedrooms.

Jaysus!
    Don't go, even Xmas day on your own somewhere is better than that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I plan to eat until I lose the ability to walk unaided. And then I'll eat some more.

St. Stephenseseseseses day is my favourite - quieter and more relaxed than Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jaysus!
    Don't go, even Xmas day on your own somewhere is better than that!!

i live at home - :(

That is so very sad, but not unusual in many households everywhere at Christmas either I would think.

Are there other family members with you at home that day besides yourself.

I hope it will be OK this year for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

That resonates with me. Except on my case it's my mother. Every Christmas she gets obliterated drunk and makes life a misery for us. She bullied the **** out of my dad who was too meek to say anything back. Now he's 6ft under because of her. Christmas will be especially different this year. First Christmas without him cutting the Turkey. She's a witch and I think this will be the Christmas I keep away from her.

Advertisement