Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What sort of phone do you have and what is your payment plan?

• 13-12-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I have a Galaxy Ace on pay as you go. I've had it over 3 years and don't see myself getting a bill pay phone anytime soon. I've always been a gadget geek and enjoyed having the latest tech, but I just don't see the point in paying for a monthly internet connection at home and paying for a monthly bill on my mobile too. Even the cheapest bill pay option with my current network is still significantly more expensive than my broadband.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

On iD's friends and family deal giving me 5000 calls, 5000 texts and 20Gb of data for €15. Have popped this into a Vodafone smart ultra 6 which I bought for €179 and unlocked for about €4. Sim only plans are the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i have a "One plus 2" on a sim only plan with vodafone, unlimited calls and texts with international minutes/ 5gb data €35 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is PAYG not cheaper these days than contract,think I've seen free calls and texts for €20 a month somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

HTC something or other, €19 a month sim only, 150 minutes, 150 texts, 150 international minutes. Most of my calls are inbound so rarely go over my allowance. Beats the bad old days when it was €250-300 a month. Fcuk you roaming charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ Jaxon Enough Lumber

Nexus 5 on 3 payg. 20 quid a month unlimited texts, free 3 to 3 calls, free weekend calls to all and unlimited data. People slate three but round my way I've had very few issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Jazlyn Fancy Rite

3 year old HTC something or other phone, PAYG with €5 every four months or so. As you can see, I hardly use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

kneemos wrote: »
    Is PAYG not cheaper these days than contract,think I've seen free calls and texts for €20 a month somewhere.

Yes. I've not seen any network that's cheaper in billpay than pay as you go.

Billpay here is a tax on the poor.

By that I mean it's cheaper to buy a phone outright (SIM free) and then pay 20 Euro a month for all you can eat text and data on Three (or similar). SIM only plans are good too, but if you travel abroad then pay as you go is better as you can use your credit against the roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Nice try 3 Narc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

HTC m7, boyfriend didn't want it so gave it to me. On three prepay, so 20 a month for unlimited data and texts, free calls to three/o2 and free any network weekend calls. I don't call people so it works for me. the 20 credit is then spent on Xbox credit for the boyfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Unlocked HTC M8, rolling 30 day contract of €30 per month with unlimited everything at 4G speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A Windows/Nokia Lumia 830, unlocked.

On an old O2 deal. 30 day contract, in one month unlimited calls and texts to any network, 2gb of data, and 60 international minutes. Over the course of 12 months I get 60 roaming minutes, and 60 txts. Just under €30 a month.

Willing to pay slightly extra to move to vodafone though, will get more data, and international txts each month. Roaming i can use my allowance for a small daily charge, as dont like '3'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Have two Pay As You Go sims.

One for Calls/Texts (cost: €15 with Tesco) and the other for Data, the guy from Star Trek that lives with me (cost: €20 with Three).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

iPhone 6s on €45 plan with 20% affinity discount from Meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

It would appear it's a Samsung Galaxy S5 ... I had to go into the "about device" menu to check that though. :o Couldn't tell you what plan I'm on, but I know it's Meteor and bill-pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Galaxy core prime that I bought for €100, and a meteor sim only plan with all calls and texts plus 5gb data for €24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 GoodKill

Think I'm paying 45e per month with Meteor. iPhone 5s.

Will be changing to Three's 20e per month prepaid plan when the contract is up. Might buy myself a Galaxy S6 too.

I really don't like Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

obviously depends on your usage, I'm on PAYG and costs me about 20 quid every 2 to 3 months. But i do have upc/virgin broadband and regularly use 200 to 400 Gigs a months so phone on it's own would be no use for net usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

A sh1t one on pay as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It would appear it's a Samsung Galaxy S5 ... I had to go into the "about device" menu to check that though. :o Couldn't tell you what plan I'm on, but I know it's Meteor and bill-pay.

Well that's not good. Would you not be worried about going over your allowance? Also if you don't know it you may be paying far more than you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Samsung Galaxy A5. PAYG with Meteor - €20 a month for unlimited data* and texts.

*7.5GB, which actually isn't unlimited at all. Here, have all you can eat... as long as it's just a sandwich. I'll be keeping a close eye on you, and I'll charge you a ludicrous amount for every extra sandwich I catch you eating. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Clem H Fandango

I have an iPhone 6S Plus on payg, 20quid a month for 'unlimited' data. Not a fan of bill pay contracts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

The beloved Moto G on pay as you go. I paid around €200 for it 14 months ago and I don't think I'll be buying anything else until this stops working.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Second hand Elephone 6000 - on Virgin's free for 3 months, 25 euro monthly after that - 'unlimited' texts, calls and data offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

HTC something or other, €19 a month sim only, 150 minutes, 150 texts, 150 international minutes. Most of my calls are inbound so rarely go over my allowance. Beats the bad old days when it was €250-300 a month. Fcuk you roaming charges.

I thought you'd have a Nokia 3210 or something. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Jolla, 15e a month Meteor sim only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

iPhone 6, I pay £10 (PAYG) for a month of 100min, 400 texts and 1GB data. I probably only buy that pack every 1.5-2 months though.
    I used to go with an unlimited data one until I realised that I have access to wifi for much of the day so there was no point. I've never gone over the allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Sony Experia, Vodafone, €40 per month: unlimited any network texts, 100 minutes' calls, unlimited same network calls, Spotify Premium subscription, 3GB of 4G.

It's easy to keep it to just slightly over the €40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

iPhone 6, I pay £10 (PAYG) for a month of 100min, 400 texts and 1GB data. I probably only buy that pack every 1.5-2 months though.
    I used to go with an unlimited data one until I realised that I have access to wifi for much of the day so there was no point. I've never gone over the allowance.
    I'm doing almost the same except that my €10 p.m. goes for unlimited data only, because that's the most convenient. I make so few voice calls or texts that I don't need any deal on those. I could probably do without the data too, except that €10 is the least you can pay p.m. as it is.

Handset is a Lumia 640 running Windows 10 insider version. (I disliked iOS when I had an iPod Touch years ago, and I got bored with Android.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement