Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-09-2020, 19:42   #736
cnocbui

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieSituation View Post
Care to tell us about said supplier and coffee?
Sure:

https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt...state-arabica/

https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt...e-caffe-crema/

https://www.mondodelcaffe.de/produkt...ft-finca-yuri/

https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/pr...ee/santos-227g

https://www.adamsandrussell.co.uk/pr...ger-stripe-1kg
Advertisement
17-09-2020, 22:13   #737
Weepsie

Adams and russell are owned by an Irish crowd called greenbean whom I don't think I've ever heard of. They're Dundalk based though and I wouldn't be that direction often.
18-09-2020, 09:16   #738
sioda

Send a message via MSN to sioda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepsie View Post
Adams and russell are owned by an Irish crowd called greenbean whom I don't think I've ever heard of. They're Dundalk based though and I wouldn't be that direction often.
Got some beans from Green Bean recently was pleasantly surprised with the quality for the price I paid tbh
18-09-2020, 09:33   #739
Hodors Appletart

They have a shop in Dundalk I think
18-09-2020, 10:09   #740
wersal gummage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weepsie View Post
I think from green bean website it says they are the commercial supplier side of "dream beans", I've used dream beans many times and find them quite good to be honest, they seem to have a permanent buy 4 pay for 3 with free delivery. They had a slightly wider range of coffee prior to March /April sort of time (and some of that was, in my opinion, much nicer than what's available now), but anyway I find them good. Roast date is always within about a day of order and delivery within maybe 2 or 3 days of order, to Dublin anyway.

I am not a coffee expert by any means, but have tried all the usual places that are mentioned on here. I would probably put the imbibe stuff ahead of dream beans (but it's a lot more expensive) and I'd put the dream beans stuff ahead of the likes of ponnaire /Bell Lane etc
Advertisement
18-09-2020, 10:38   #741
Danger781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger781 View Post
Got my 'Art of Coffee' delivery this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieSituation View Post
Make sure to give us an update on that Indonesian.
I forgot to circle back on this.. I was incredibly disappointed with my entire order. Could not get a decent cup from any of the beans. In fact everything pretty much tasted the same which was baffling to me. The Nina blend (Burundi + Indonesian) sounded like an amazing combo on paper but it tasted awful. Tried French Press and Aeropress but either ended up with bitterness or bland tasting coffee. I've had nicer cups from the Aldi pre-ground Ethiopian stuff.

I usually follow Stumptown recipe for the Aeropress as it's generally pretty reliable, but couldn't get a decent cup. Normally this is my old reliable 'decent' cup of coffee regardless of what beans I use, but this even turned out crap.

I've been following James Hoffmans method for the French Press with my previous beans and it usually turns out pretty OK. After re-watching his video he mentioned that his method was targeted more towards lighter roasts, which I missed first time round, and for darker roasts you should either grind coarser and / or reduce water temp. After much experimenting I think I found a setting that at least removed some of the astringent bitterness by grinding 2 clicks from the coarsest setting and letting the water sit for a minute or two post-boil before brewing. My previous beans were about 6 clicks from the coarsest settings and straight off the boil.

Looking at the beans I did not think these were a dark roast, but they certainly follow the characteristics of a dark roast.

Honestly even the smell of the coffee after it's been brewed is just unpleasant.. I've never experienced that before.

Even if they were discounted, I won't be ordering from Art of Coffee again.
18-09-2020, 17:09   #742
Anjunadeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger781 View Post
I forgot to circle back on this.. I was incredibly disappointed with my entire order. Could not get a decent cup from any of the beans. In fact everything pretty much tasted the same which was baffling to me. The Nina blend (Burundi + Indonesian) sounded like an amazing combo on paper but it tasted awful. Tried French Press and Aeropress but either ended up with bitterness or bland tasting coffee. I've had nicer cups from the Aldi pre-ground Ethiopian stuff.

I usually follow Stumptown recipe for the Aeropress as it's generally pretty reliable, but couldn't get a decent cup. Normally this is my old reliable 'decent' cup of coffee regardless of what beans I use, but this even turned out crap.

I've been following James Hoffmans method for the French Press with my previous beans and it usually turns out pretty OK. After re-watching his video he mentioned that his method was targeted more towards lighter roasts, which I missed first time round, and for darker roasts you should either grind coarser and / or reduce water temp. After much experimenting I think I found a setting that at least removed some of the astringent bitterness by grinding 2 clicks from the coarsest setting and letting the water sit for a minute or two post-boil before brewing. My previous beans were about 6 clicks from the coarsest settings and straight off the boil.

Looking at the beans I did not think these were a dark roast, but they certainly follow the characteristics of a dark roast.

Honestly even the smell of the coffee after it's been brewed is just unpleasant.. I've never experienced that before.

Even if they were discounted, I won't be ordering from Art of Coffee again.
I had that Nina blend recently and was equally unimpressed.
I actually took the beans out of my machine so I could put in my new delivery from Spiller & Tait. Think the Nina beans will be going in the bin
Thanks from:
18-09-2020, 19:40   #743
mad m

I got a Kg of Fusion blend from Art of coffee. Its actually lovely.
18-09-2020, 19:55   #744
Gooey Looey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad m View Post
I got a Kg of Fusion blend from Art of coffee. Its actually lovely.
Yeah, it's my regular, I can order and collect. I always come back to this one

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion