Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 12:41   #631
rubadub
Registered User
 
rubadub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 31,135
Ikea do some cast iron stuff, a 28cm/11inch pan is €22

It does not look as thick as mine.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/search/pr...?q=cast%20iron

Mine takes ages to heat up but holds the heat so well I can bring it out the back and do one side of a burger on it, smoke everywhere, smells like a massive BBQ is going on. Then I bring it inside to finish the other side.
rubadub is offline  
Advertisement
11-09-2020, 18:38   #632
Faith
Mary Berry is my idol
Whoop whoop, I picked up a cast iron skillet in store!
Faith is offline  
11-09-2020, 19:27   #633
Muahahaha
Registered User
 
Muahahaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,981
Whats peoples opinions on fresh fish vs. frozen? You always hear people say there is nothing like fresh fish compared to frozen, is that an exaggeration or is there something in it, i.e. does fresh fish degrade a lot more than red meat if you freeze it?

Reason I ask is Ive been trying to get more fish into myself. Earlier this year I designated every Friday as fish day (back to my childhood ha). For a couple of months I was always having some frozen fish from the airfryer but invariably that comes breaded and I think with the amount of breading on it you're only convincing yourself you are eating healthy whereas its probably about 50/50 breading to fish.

So over the summer I moved onto fresh fish only, always bought it on the Friday in Aldi and cooked it within an hour of getting it home. I cook it with the steam function on the Instant Pot and it comes out great. But now Im getting a bit tired of the same old cod/coley/haddock rotation and would like to try out some other species. Came across this site www.eatmorefish.ie which has an unbelievable range of choice and loads of stuff Id like to try for the first time. But with delivery costs you would want to be stocking up at least 50 or 60 euros worth which would then mean freezing the bulk of all that fresh fish. I think I'll give it a punt anyway but just wondering how much of a drop off in flavour from fresh fish is there to frozen?
Muahahaha is offline  
11-09-2020, 20:02   #634
oscarBravo
Custodiam ipsos custodes
 
oscarBravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 26,666
I think it depends on the fish. While you can freeze mackerel, it definitely suffers in the process. I don't think fleshier/less fatty fish are affected to the same extent.
oscarBravo is offline  
Thanks from:
11-09-2020, 20:17   #635
Dial Hard
Registered User
 
Dial Hard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,134
I freeze fresh fish all the time with no noticeable deterioration in quality.

As OscarBravo says, very oily fish won't fare quite as well but that's not an issue for me as I don't eat it!
Dial Hard is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2020, 07:59   #636
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
Whats peoples opinions on fresh fish vs. frozen? You always hear people say there is nothing like fresh fish compared to frozen, is that an exaggeration or is there something in it, i.e. does fresh fish degrade a lot more than red meat if you freeze it?

Reason I ask is Ive been trying to get more fish into myself. Earlier this year I designated every Friday as fish day (back to my childhood ha). For a couple of months I was always having some frozen fish from the airfryer but invariably that comes breaded and I think with the amount of breading on it you're only convincing yourself you are eating healthy whereas its probably about 50/50 breading to fish.

So over the summer I moved onto fresh fish only, always bought it on the Friday in Aldi and cooked it within an hour of getting it home. I cook it with the steam function on the Instant Pot and it comes out great. But now Im getting a bit tired of the same old cod/coley/haddock rotation and would like to try out some other species. Came across this site www.eatmorefish.ie which has an unbelievable range of choice and loads of stuff Id like to try for the first time. But with delivery costs you would want to be stocking up at least 50 or 60 euros worth which would then mean freezing the bulk of all that fresh fish. I think I'll give it a punt anyway but just wondering how much of a drop off in flavour from fresh fish is there to frozen?
Great website, thanks!
Gloomtastic! is offline  
12-09-2020, 14:15   #637
the beer revolu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,769
Freeze away.
As said, mackerel is the only fish I've come across that doesn't freeze well.
Just make sure it's well wrapped and airtight.
the beer revolu is offline  
(2) thanks from:
12-09-2020, 15:23   #638
Muahahaha
Registered User
 
Muahahaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomtastic! View Post
Great website, thanks!
yeah it seems really good and the variety is excellent. My nearest fishmonger is a 30km round trip so its not really viable unless Im in the area anyway. But that site has way more variety than your typical fishmongers so reckon I'll put in an order to try it out soon.

Anyway thanks for the advice on freezing, will avoid mackeral and other oily fish in doing so.
Muahahaha is offline  
12-09-2020, 20:05   #639
New Home
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 60,335
Lidl has cast iron cookware, too. https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kitchen-heaven/c1284/w1
New Home is offline  
Advertisement
12-09-2020, 20:12   #640
The Black Oil
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,252
Currently hungry due to having watched the first episode of Chef's Table BBQ. What a character.
The Black Oil is offline  
13-09-2020, 03:25   #641
sammyjo90
Registered User
 
sammyjo90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Oil View Post
Currently hungry due to having watched the first episode of Chef's Table BBQ. What a character.
Neighbours are acting the bollix so I just watched it.
Such a lovely woman!
sammyjo90 is offline  
Thanks from:
13-09-2020, 12:26   #642
The Black Oil
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjo90 View Post
Neighbours are acting the bollix so I just watched it.
Such a lovely woman!
Delighted she found happiness is more recent years, after some hard times.
The Black Oil is offline  
13-09-2020, 15:20   #643
L1011
Moderator
 
L1011's Avatar
Anyone changed their cooker hood recently? We've a ~7 year old, awful, Whirlpool that still uses disposable filters (the harder to find stiff 'paper' ones).

I'd far prefer the ease - and no waste - of the metal ones but I've never actually used one so don't know how good they actually are. Something keeps nagging me that it'd be less efficient despite it seeming like it should be vastly more efficient.

Current one seems to be 340m^3/h; I'd presume the extract rate is with the filter in place so a 620m^3/h metal one is going to be vastly superior.
L1011 is offline  
13-09-2020, 15:31   #644
Muahahaha
Registered User
 
Muahahaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 12,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Oil View Post
Currently hungry due to having watched the first episode of Chef's Table BBQ. What a character.
What time/channel is this on?
Muahahaha is offline  
13-09-2020, 15:56   #645
The Black Oil
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 15,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muahahaha View Post
What time/channel is this on?
Netflix.

The Black Oil is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet