Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

ah bollocks. well at least I have something to look forward to.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 latinbell

As I know nothing about vintage cars, except that I love my 1977 Beetle, which was a birthday present, would anyone out there possibly have any advice on getting it on the road, i.e. insurance wise... I'm 29 and on my first provisional, have no other car and a limited milage wouldn't bother me as I live in the town. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Hi latinbell.
    Welcome to the forum!

I'd reckon that the best 'first step' for you would be to get a full licence.
    This would make getting insurance - at a resonable price - much easier.

From what other people have posted in this thread, it is possible to get cover for a classic as 'an only car'.

I am also a fan of the Beetle. I have resotred a few of them and will buy another in the future.
    Which gets me thinking ........ time for the first Beetle thread ! ;):D

Thanx Silvera

I seriously must take some refresher lessons!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Beetle forum?? Great idea!!

Keep us posted :)

No worries latinbell.

BTW, a 'Beetle thread' not 'forum'.

Oh, check out this great Irish GT Beetle website - www.thebugmeister.com

Silvera.

• Advertisement

The Irish Vintage Society now have a website, which includes prices for classic insurance cover.

www.irishvintage.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭blobert

Those prices seem very cheap.

I want to get myself a "5 Ton Military Vehicle" and insure it for €150 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hold that thought blobert :)

Commercial,
    Full comp,
    €5000.00 valuation,
    Must have engineers report and photo of vehicle,
    Must have main car insurance,
    Etc Etc Etc

Van 1 = €420-00

Van 2 = €315.00

Vintage club membership a must have, be real old like me :) full no claims bonus on main policy, also copy of main policy document.

Hi Silvera
    Ha Ha Ha... Typical of me to get it wrong!!!!!!!!! Beetle thread it is then. Any news lately? My computers bn a little sick

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just a note to say I've had my premium with First Ireland reduced.

My old spider was insured as a main driver for about €500, and I phoned them to let them know that I now had a policy on another car (for the missis). Got a letter a week later to say my annual premium was now €110, and they were refunding me the rest !! The only change to the policy was a perfectly workable 4K mileage limit. Also both my brothers are named drivers.

So yeah - talk to First Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Just got a quote for €620 for 10,000mile policy from first ireland. That's fully comp, wife named, 5yrs NCB, €300 excess, €400 windscreen cover, no breakdown cover. AA is an extra €19p.a. How does this compare with others? Car is a 1972 Citroën DS

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭beanderb4

Folks,

Just got a quote to drive a classic Alfa GT Junior 1976 as my daily driver. Must do less than 10k mile per annum. Fully comp with windscreen cover and step back in bonus if involved in an accident. The cost is Euro 637. But wait for it, this is not all, that price also includes two other classics that I can use for less that 3k miles each per annum. And just to rub it in, one of my weekend classics is a 1969 2.0 Litre Spyder (convertable for you non-Italian loving heads out there). All in, three cars, one main driver and two weekend cars, total cost 637. That is less than I currently pay just for my daily driver.

Ring First Ireland guys, and get driving a classic on a daily basis!!!

Happy Driving. :D

Well done beanderb4 - great deal !!

We've come a long way re classic insurance in Ireland since the days of (very!) restricted policies !

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

Can anyone recommend a company that will insure a classic car thats been modified?
    Also does anyone know the terms of a driver using their own insurance policy on a car insured as a classis. eg. if someone has a classic car insured would I be allowed to drive using my own policy off my own car to drive the classic? I do have driving of other cars on my policy but I'm too young to insure a classic, only 22. If someone would even name me on the policy that would be fine. I know Norton (01 286 2592) will insure me when I'm 23 but not if the car is modified, ie an engine other than the original/same type and size of original in cases where engine has been replaced due to needing it.
    Incase someone is wondering is this some way of getting around insurance it is and it isn't. It is in the way we're trying to do it as cheap as possible but its not in the way that its a project myslef and my father would be doing together and it will be insured as what it is. Not as what it was. I never have and never would lie to an insurance company as you're only fooling yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭greg-h

Hello Iam only seventeen and am looking for a car. Unlike most people my age I whant a vintage car I find them beuteuful elegent and just love them.I am looking at mgb gt citroens etc but I can't seam to get insurance--ideas please any help and I would be greatfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Hi Greg
    I'm afraid you're fresh out of luck until you're 25. Perhaps if you got a parent, friend or sibling with a car to insure your classic and name you on it. Be aware that a lot of classic policies to not give no claims bonus - the most you'll get is a letter stating that you've had X years of claim free driving (not the same thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Oldmerc

I have a 69 Merc Coupe and a first ireland policy, sole car. Only problem with the policy is when the car is being serviced, can take a few days as we all know, you can't get covered on another carm say from the garage unless that car is a classic. So my broker tells me everytime, they say they have check with first ireland.

Does this sound right ?

N

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭greg-h

Would an ordinary car insurance cover me for say a 2cv or an mgb gt. I can't understand why any one would whant to drive a starlet or corsa etc. I have that fealing I am down the creek without a paddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I want to buy a 1990 or 1991 Mk II Golf GTi but am finding it impossible to get any quotes for it as a classic.
    As many of you probably already know I have a few classics on the one policy and was hoping to get the GTi lumped in with them but my insurance broker says no go - says it must be over 20 years old.:(
    I can't be expected to wait six years to buy my GTi. By then they will all have been modified beyond all recognition.:mad:

I'm sure that somebody mentioned here before that they had gotten a 1990's car insured as a 'classic' - have a look back through the above posts.

.....or maybe it was mentioned in another thread ?
    Definitely somebody mentioned it ........so there is hope for you yet ! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I got my insurence through Goggans with Hibernian. It's been a pain.I imported the car from the UK so was waiting a while for the DVLA cert to come through, took about five weeks from when I bought the car.I was waiting a while for my ncb to come from my company and in the meantime Goggans contacted me to say that Hibernian wanted an extra 25 euro on top of the 600 odd I had already paid. This was because of the delay in the info coming through. Fair enough I said, that was nearly 6 weeks ago and I still haven't recieved my policy, no policy, no tax.So now I can expecty to have to pay back tax on the car because I brought it in August, I know it's cheap to tax in the first place but it's justannoying at this stage. Next year, or soon if I dont get my policy in the next week or so, I'll be going for the no frills 150 euro option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

In my experience Hibernian are terrible, I was with them for 6 years on my old beetle
    and when it came to buying my new one I rang for a quote and confirmation of cover letter before flying out to England to drive back.
    It took two weeks and many phone calls to get confirmation, eventually I got a hand written fax as I was leaving for the airport :mad:
    It seems some call centre giblet dropped the ball and didn't realise the car was modified, which I had made clear all the way through the fiasco.
    When I arrived back in Cork Hibernian started to try every ridiculous trick they could to cancel the policy, bear in mind I was in for '000s for what was now a garden ornament.
    Eventually I gave up when they rejected an engineers report (a report which they had earlier claimed not recieved) from a Toyota dealership with full test facilities (no local VW dealer had these)
    and cancelled the policy,
    but said if I could maybe get the car to Dublin for testing at another VW dealers- but you cannot drive it !? - they may reconsider.
    "your engineers report says you have 4mm of tread in the rear tyres and only 2.5 in the front- we must cancel the policy" was my favourite :confused:
    Anyway, to cut a long and very frustrating story short- AXA and Carole Nash, so far so good, FBD good quote but no LHD.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

does anyone know how old a car has to be to get the classic cover, someone told me 13 years old,,, which would be pre-93, ie ,, 92. which is good news for me, cause as a rpov licence holder im having probs insuring my 2 ltr bmw.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Package wrote:
    does anyone know how old a car has to be to get the classic cover, someone told me 13 years old,,, which would be pre-93, ie ,, 92. which is good news for me, cause as a rpov licence holder im having probs insuring my 2 ltr bmw.
    To qualify for Classic Car/Limited mileage cover the car would generally need to be between 20 and 25 years old. There are some exceptions if the car is generally considered to be a classic that just happens to have had a fairly long life span. For example the Ford Capri, Mercedes SL, Porsche 911 that were built well up to nineties. You'll find that there is more flexibility with these cars but generally only through a dedicated owners' club...

But I would think it's highly unlikely that you will manage to insure your 13 your bmw on a classic car scheme.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I just looked at the IVS website under the insurance section, and it quotes 3 premiums €150, €170, and €250.

What's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

3 party, 3p fire and theft, fully comp??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

When I enquired about my 911sc for a classic policy (nash), I was told I had to be 30 for a 911, as its a 'special' car to put on a classic policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Blue850 wrote:
    3 party, 3p fire and theft, fully comp??

I don't think so. It says all premiums for for 3rd party only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Kersh wrote:
    When I enquired about my 911sc for a classic policy (nash), I was told I had to be 30 for a 911, as its a 'special' car to put on a classic policy.

Yea Nash gave me a quote for 750 tpf&t then I got the car and they said they wouldn't cover me till I was over 30 so went with AXA for 300 tpf&t:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I just looked at the IVS website under the insurance section, and it quotes 3 premiums €150, €170, and €250.

What's that about?
    Different mileage allowance perchance? I seem to recall the €150 policy only allows 2K miles p/a. Maybe the other rates allow more usage.

Advertisement