Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Actor of the modern era?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

buried wrote: »
    He basically created the modern era of method acting though. To go full into a character, to become the character, that's what Brando first brought to the table in mainstream hollywood, before that, leading actors were basically a formulaic, cheekboned, powderfaced smartarse and that was it

Correct! Brando was the first, true, great MODERN actor. He took over from Laurence Olivier (also a great actor, mind you), who I would call the last great old-school actor. Whatever you think about Brando, there is no doubt that he revolutionised acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Gary Oldman
    Sean Penn
    Ed Harris
    Denzel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

Johnny Depp, an all rounder.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Johnny Depp, an all rounder.

Ha Ha. No trolling!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Thats an impossible question to answer. There are so many great actors and actresses that I couldn't answer the above post. Actually De Niro in his day probably shades it from pacino, pesci, gibson, dustin hoffman brando walkin ledger, and I could on and on, and thats just the men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I haven’t seen all his films but I’ve seen many of them and I find him limited sometimes. I don’t think I need to have seen every single of his roles to think that. At times, I have found myself not believing what he was trying to portray, especially when he does that gurning thing that he tends to do. If I’m pulled out of a scene by an actor’s performance, that’s not good and that sometimes happens with him.

I also clearly said he deserved to rise above Titanic as he is far better than that film. In fact, he had good performances under his belt pre-Titanic. He is just nowhere near my favourite actor. I have a few but he’s not one of them.

Ok so your opinion on him appears to be based on you seeing him in only a couple of roles and not seeing his work that he's earned critical praise for?

You do not provide any examples to back up your points and saying about him doing "that gurning thing" as if it's something that he's renowned for.

Just because you don't like him for some reason does not mean he's a poor actor and when you look at his filmography and list of famous directors he's worked for then he must have some acting talent that they see but you somehow don't.

Marlon Brando was top class alright, He even gave a air of legitimacy and real legend to the first two proper Superman films, the fact he was involved in the storyline of them. Its no wonder the rest were a heap of wollix

I’m probably completely wrong here, but did he not go nuts after the first one? He wanted this, that & the other for the 2nd film & they told him goodluck. They just used pre shot footage from the first movie with him in it, so they didn’t have to bring him back at all? Or was that the 3rd movie?

Again, I’m probably wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Correct! Brando was the first, true, great MODERN actor. He took over from Laurence Olivier (also a great actor, mind you), who I would call the last great old-school actor. Whatever you think about Brando, there is no doubt that he revolutionised acting.

I think he was in a dry white season (could be wrong about title) as a cameo part and steals not only the scene but the picture too.
    Jack Nicholson does the same in a few good men

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    I’m probably completely wrong here, but did he not go nuts after the first one? He wanted this, that & the other for the 2nd film & they told him goodluck. They just used pre shot footage from the first movie with him in it, so they didn’t have to bring him back at all? Or was that the 3rd movie?

I dunno or know about any of that, but it could have been the case the man was more than likely affected by the level of fame, due to the level of groundbreaking artist achievement he had already achieved, that maybe he thought he could start to have a level of control over the work that was maybe trying to groundbreak anything else he was involved in. Fame comes at a price, even the most gifted can and will go crazy with it, because it is a total recent and modern mindset that not many in human evolution have had to deal with. I don't know anything about him going nuts, although in fairness, all acting is people going "a bit nuts" anyways.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭This is it

Denzel Washington. Huge fan, a fantastic actor in my opinion with some amazing movies:

The Manchurian Candidate
    The Pelican Brief
    Man on Fire
    Remember the Titans - never get sick of this one
    The Hurricane
    American Gangster
    Training Day
    Philadelphia
    Courage Under Fire
    Crimson Tide - Gene Hackman fantastic in this too
    Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Plenty of others but he's a stand out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ok so your opinion on him appears to be based on you seeing him in only a couple of roles and not seeing his work that he's earned critical praise for?

I said I’ve seen many of him films, not “only a couple”? :confused: See below.

I’m sorry, murpho999, am I not allowed to hold the opinion that Leo DiCaprio is not amongst the best actors? Why do I need to convince you of anything? Get over yourself.
    I haven’t seen all his films but I’ve seen many of them and I find him limited sometimes.

I wouldn't say he went nuts but he was always (and notoriously) very difficult to work with. He drove directors bonkers! Before he was allowed work on The Godfather, he was made to sign a contract that (among many clauses) forced him to pay the costs of any production issues caused by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I’m surprised there are so many different actors being proposed as the best. For me, one actor is well ahead of the rest and that is Marlon Brando. He brought method acting into the mainstream and the intensity/passion he brought to his roles is unsurpassed.

His greatest roles for me were in On The Waterfront, A Streetcar Named Desire and The Godfather but The Wild One and Last Tango in Paris would be in any other actor’s Top 3. Even his cameo in Apocalypse Now (greatest movie ever made) is exquisite!

He was MILES ahead of his time in the causes he supported (the environment, black civil rights, justice for native Americans) and was willing to risk opprobrium to promote these issues. This is irrelevant to his acting ability, of course, but I thought it should be mentioned.

He was also fond of the butter in Last Tango in Paris.

I’m sorry, murpho999, am I not allowed to hold the opinion that Leo DiCaprio is not amongst the best actors? Why do I need to convince you of anything? Get over yourself.

Of course you're entitled to an opinion but if you state something that goes against popular opinion that you should expect to be challenged and then maybe you would explain your opinion with relevant examples and/or more points to back up your opinion.

Instead you just give a vague response with no specifics as to what films you have seen him in and then resort to insulting me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

1) Christopher Waltz,
    2) Leo
    3) Denzel
    4) Brad Pitt
    5) Tom Hanks

And in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

He’s the best over actor of all time

That would be Al Pacino. The hammiest rated actor of his generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

murpho999 wrote: »
    Of course you're entitled to an opinion but if you state something that goes against popular opinion that you should expect to be challenged and then maybe you would explain your opinion with relevant examples and/or more points to back up your opinion.

Instead you just give a vague response with no specifics as to what films you have seen him in and then resort to insulting me.

You misrepresented what I wrote and acted personally offended. Which is just odd.

Off the top of my head, roles where I wasn’t all that keen on his performance:

Revolutionary Road
    The Revenant (hated the film, hated his performance - his gurniest to date. Don’t care that he won an Oscar for it)
    The Great Gatsby

Didn’t love him in Django Unchained either.

That’s not even all of them, that’s just what springs to mind. Is that okay?

He was also fond of the butter in Last Tango in Paris.

Yeah, not for eating though!

I dunno or know about any of that, but it could have been the case the man was more than likely affected by the level of fame, due to the level of groundbreaking artist achievement he had already achieved, that maybe he thought he could start to have a level of control over the work that was maybe trying to groundbreak anything else he was involved in. Fame comes at a price, even the most gifted can and will go crazy with it, because it is a total recent and modern mindset that not many in human evolution have had to deal with. I don't know anything about him going nuts, although in fairness, all acting is people going "a bit nuts" anyways.

I think you’re overthinking it. It was about money.

I think you’re overthinking it. It was about money.

How do you mean? What was about money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

Ha Ha. No trolling!

Problem with an opinion have you:rolleyes:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This is it wrote: »
    Denzel Washington. Huge fan, a fantastic actor in my opinion with some amazing movies:

The Manchurian Candidate
    The Pelican Briefan on Fire
    Remember the Titans - never get sick of this one
    The Hurricane
    American Gangster
    Training Day
    Philadelphia
    Courage Under Fire
    Crimson Tide - Gene Hackman fantastic in this too
    Roman J. Israel, Esq.

Plenty of others but he's a stand out for me.

Denzel had great charisma alright. He could really lift a movie, very watchable.

You misrepresented what I wrote and acted personally offended. Which is just odd.

Off the top of my head, roles where I wasn’t all that keen on his performance:

Revolutionary Road
    The Revenant (hated the film, hated his performance - his gurniest to date. Don’t care that he won an Oscar for it)
    The Great Gatsby

Didn’t love him in Django Unchained either.

That’s not even all of them, that’s just what springs to mind. Is that okay?

Misrepresented how? You said "many" and I said "a couple" which is just a figure of speech. I don't see how I acted offended that seems to be something you're doing more.

Anyhow thanks for providing a few details but no real aspect as to what you don't like about his performances apart from him "gurning".

It just seems like you don't like him no matter what he does because to say that his performance in The Revenant was poor and it was a poor film just simply not stand up when you look at the critical acclaim and accolades both his performance and the film received and I'm not just talking about The Oscars.

I like the variety of roles he has had and how he has developed. He could easily have chosen to accept less challenging roles after achieving heart throb status after Titanic but instead he became selective, has made very few poor films in my opinion and tackled a wide variety of roles that avoid him being typecast and I find him very believable.

How do you mean? What was about money?

He wanted a lot of money for the 2nd superman movie or he didn’t get paid enough for the first, so they told him to piss off for the 2nd movie. They used the wife (Susana York) to do most of his lines in the superman 2.

Pretty sure it was all about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Quite an underrated actor but a superb one is Paul Giamatti, loved the recent one he done called Private Life.

He was great in big fat liar! I think Kevin spacey is a good actor. I don’t think he is a particularly good person though.

He wanted a lot of money for the 2nd superman movie or he didn’t get paid enough for the first, so they told him to piss off for the 2nd movie. They used the wife (Susana York) to do his lines in the superman 2.

Pretty sure it was all about money.

He had plenty of money already though, he was one of the most famous actors on the planet at the time, he didn't need any more. His name was in the lead before Reeve's in the film titles. He had clout but his art and work in the past enabled it, it wasn't merely about greasy money. Brando was never about money, if he was then he just would have carried on acting like the actors who were around when he began his career. His only crime was his determination to try to push things forward, because it was literally known by everyone in the industry that is what he literally had done and was famous for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

touts wrote: »
    Samuel L Jackson.

Amy Adams

Tom Hanks

Emily Blunt

Gary Oldman

Generally if any of those are in the cast then it has a significantly better than average chance of being a good film.

8 pages in, and this is the only mention of who I would have as a clear favourite, Samuel L Jackson.

He had plenty of money already though, he was one of the most famous actors on the planet at the time, he didn't need any more. His name was in the lead before Reeve's in the film titles. He had clout but his art and work in the past enabled it, it wasn't merely about greasy money. Brando was never about money, if he was then he just would have carried on acting like the actors who were around when he began his career. His only crime was his determination to try to push things forward, because it was literally known by everyone in the industry that is what he literally had done and was famous for.

Ahh yeah, ok.

“Most importantly, producers Alexander and Ilya Salkind announced that Marlon Brando's completed scenes for Superman II would be excised from the movie in order for them to avoid having to pay the actor the reported 11.75% of gross U.S. box-office takings he was now demanding for his performance in the sequel”

Ahh yeah, ok.

“Most importantly, producers Alexander and Ilya Salkind announced that Marlon Brando's completed scenes for Superman II would be excised from the movie in order for them to avoid having to pay the actor the reported 11.75% of gross U.S. box-office takings he was now demanding for his performance in the sequel”

Well, as he was the lead character in the first one in order for it to be a success maybe he thought he was due it, I don't know what he was thinking but it doesn't remove his legacy, a legacy that gave creedence to a comic book character film when at the time comic book characters didn't translate to film at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Tom Hanks - I find him believable in any of the varied roles he has taken on, from the schmaltzy (You've got Mail), hard hitting (Philadelphia, Captain Philips) and the quirky (Forest Gump)

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement