Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Quarantine being enforced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wii776 wrote: »
    The rules are not being enforced. I know of several people who have recently returned from abroad and were immediately going about their business and were out and about extensively

It’s not a rule it is a request. Same as wearing a face mask. You can if you want, but you don’t HAVE to.

Acosta wrote: »
    You're required to fill in a form either online in advance or on the airline which includes the address you're meant to be isolating at . You must hand this to immigration at the airport. If you tell them you're going off on a cycling trip and don't intend to isolate they might not let you in.

They have no legal right to stop an EU citizen entering Ireland to go cycling.

Icepick wrote: »
    This is an obvious lie.

Look it up brainiac. We have no right to restrict the free movement of people within the EU. If the clowns in govt had declared a state of emergency, we could restrict it while in an emergency, as other countries did. But Bulgarian strawberry pickers getting in was more important to them. Therefore, we never entered a state of emergency and any EU citizen can head to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's the Irish attitude to Covid summed up in one post

"Ah shure, it'll be grand"

Are you saying the person on the other end of the phone was Irish??

Anyways, twill be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

Look it up brainiac. We have no right to restrict the free movement of people within the EU. If the clowns in govt had declared a state of emergency, we could restrict it while in an emergency, as other countries did. But Bulgarian strawberry lickers getting in was more important to them. Therefore, we never entered a state of emergency and any EU citizen can head to Ireland.

Will you pick up the strawberry yourself?

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Nothing to do with EU law. Many countries enforced lockdown across cities, regions or indeed whole countries, and we all saw very stringent enforcement by police in EU states like Spain and Italy.

Quarantine is definitely "mandatory", but I think the point you were trying to get at is there is no sanction in Ireland for failing to quarantine. That does not make it "legal" - it simply limits the consequences of ignoring quarantine. However if there is widespread ignoring of the rules (and I am sure they will be checking some of the forms), it would be possible for formal sanctions to be introduced. Flouting of any of these regulations is not appropriate and unnecessary (certainly if all you are foregoing is a few cycles)

I’d look up EU law lad. All those countries declared a state of emergency. Ireland didn’t. Ireland has no mechanism to make quarantine legal buddy. Whinging and moaning isn’t gonna change that. Even the 20km law is now lapsed, you can go anywhere.

So its ok to encourage people to break the law is it? Im just sticking up for trying to keep our country safe and allowing people to get back to normal. That's all Im doing. If someone thinks they are smart trying to break the rules and thinking they are smart they deserve to be shamed id say bcos they are idiots. I don't need to point that out just read the OPs post.

What law are people being encouraged to break Betty??

gral6 wrote: »
    Will you pick up the strawberry yourself?

I do pick strawberry’s myself. I grow them out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

acequion wrote: »
    But they didn't open the thread to ask for encouragement to break the rules. They simply asked if the quarantine is being enforced. Which is a very fair question given that there is a lack of clarity around it.

Even coming to the country for a cycling trip doesn't automatically imply non compliance with Irish restrictions. The OP just said "We". Might only be two of them. And if the OP doesn't live in Ireland they may not know if self isolation means staying indoors or if it means staying away from others.

So the OP asked a valid and reasonable question imo.

If someone wants to know what the public health restrictions are they don't go to a discussion forum. The OP is looking for a way out it seems to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

imme wrote: »
    If someone wants to know what the public health restrictions are they don't go to a discussion forum. The OP is looking for a way out it seems to me.
    This is how I read it too.
    OP already knows the restrictions but is checking whether he can go ahead anyway.

OP, I suggest for this summer you use one of the many opportunities for bike holidays that already exist in Sweden.
    https://swedenbybike.com/
    See you next year instead.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I’d look up EU law lad. All those countries declared a state of emergency. Ireland didn’t. Ireland has no mechanism to make quarantine legal buddy. Whinging and moaning isn’t gonna change that. Even the 20km law is now lapsed, you can go anywhere.

I am familiar with EU law and the Freedom of Movement provisions "lad". I am also aware that pretty much all EU countries have laws that contravene EU law "lad". In the current situation "lad" the EU is not going to take any action against any country introducing any laws to counter the spread of Covid-19

Now "lad" I've not looked up the specifics but I'm also pretty sure there are plenty of exceptions allowed for all EU countries in public health situations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭acequion

biko wrote: »
    This is how I read it too.
    OP already knows the restrictions but is checking whether he can go ahead anyway.

OP, I suggest for this summer you use one of the many opportunities for bike holidays that already exist in Sweden.
    https://swedenbybike.com/
    See you next year instead.

Unless the OP is clueless or never before used boards.ie he'd have a fair idea of the reaction he'd get here.

So it's one thing to jump down his/her throat with the righteous lectures, but second guessing the reasons for asking the question is taking it a bit far. If I was the OP I'd be long moved on from this thread.:rolleyes:

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's the Irish attitude to Covid summed up in one post

"Ah shure, It'll be grand"

Do you want people screaming down the phone.

In general people shouldn't be traveling anywhere at the moment or for the foreseeable.

Then there'd be no need for self quarantine.

We need only look at the NZ recent experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Do you want people screaming down the phone.

In general people shouldn't be traveling anywhere at the moment or for the foreseeable.

Then there'd be no need for self quarantine.

So no travel until when?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭gral6

Forget about NZ recent experience and try to enjoy life

So no travel until when?

USA 24,440 new cases reported in most recent daily amount.

That is almost the total confirmed number of cases in ROI.

Just wait for the numbers after Donald's Tulsa rally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Coming to Ireland to cycle around one county...virus is the least of your worries ya big loser

Ah no I'm only messing I think you're cool and handsome

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

spookwoman wrote: »
    Look at what's happened in new zealand because some twats broke quarantine.

the problem in NZ was not the people released who by all accounts had precious masks on - it was the much glorified NZ control system that let them out when they had not been tested which they should've been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

USA 24,440 new cases reported in most recent daily amount.

That is almost the total confirmed number of cases in ROI.

You forgot to answer the question, so no travel until when? When do you think we should be able to see our families that are abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

And the hundreds of black lives matter protests which have been happening continuously for the last three weeks.....or is it just trump that causes the virus.....omg quick we have to get this research to the top labs

• Advertisement

JJayoo wrote: »
    And the hundreds of black lives matter protests which have been happening continuously for the last three weeks.....or is it just trump that causes the virus.....omg quick we have to get this research to the top labs

Have a look here, the trajectory doesn't seem to have been affected by the BLM protests.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cousin of mine who returned from work in the middle east has been contacted 3 times by the Gardai since arriving. They will follow up. In the nicest way possible, don’t come.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You forgot to answer the question, so no travel until when? When do you think we should be able to see our families that are abroad?

Calm down dear, as Michael Winner used to say.

The advisory is only fly if you have to and then self isolate for 2 weeks if you fly back to Ireland.

Nobody should be rushing on a plane, all plane companies care about is profit, no your health or my health, that's for sure.

Beasty wrote: »
    I am familiar with EU law and the Freedom of Movement provisions "lad". I am also aware that pretty much all EU countries have laws that contravene EU law "lad". In the current situation "lad" the EU is not going to take any action against any country introducing any laws to counter the spread of Covid-19

Now "lad" I've not looked up the specifics but I'm also pretty sure there are plenty of exceptions allowed for all EU countries in public health situations

You’re wrong lad. No harm in admitting it. There are exceptions allowed for all EU countries in public health situations. You can call a state of emergency like other countries did at the height of the virus. Ireland never did.

This has been spoken about by various different politician on various different talk shows lad.

Cousin of mine who returned from work in the middle east has been contacted 3 times by the Gardai since arriving. They will follow up. In the nicest way possible, don’t come.

Any idea what ‘follow up’ means, given that the quarantine itself is not enforceable in law?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

woody22 wrote: »
    Any idea what ‘follow up’ means, given that the quarantine itself is not enforceable in law?

Yeah its interesting, as far as I know filling out the form is mandatory but actually self isolating at home isnt. Cant be sure the Gardai can do anything tbh.

Yeah its interesting, as far as I know filling out the form is mandatory but actually self isolating at home isnt. Cant be sure the Gardai can do anything tbh.

I suppose that if they came round and you were never home, they might conclude the the information that had been given on the form was incorrect, and then they can ‘follow up’. That is obviously aimed at tourists who might give details of the first place they are staying, and then go on a road trip (which is the activity that quarantine is intended to discourage). There’ll be nothing that can be done about returning residents who decide to go out

woody22 wrote: »
    I suppose that if they came round and you were never home, they might conclude the the information that had been given on the form was incorrect, and then they can ‘follow up’. That is obviously aimed at tourists who might give details of the first place they are staying, and then go on a road trip (which is the activity that quarantine is intended to discourage). There’ll be nothing that can be done about returning residents who decide to go out

There is nothing they can do about anyone, as quarantine is not a legal Issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Once people start coming in any numbers it will be impossible to follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

It is not a legal requirement to quarantine after entry to Ireland from another country. The only legal requirement upon entering the state, currently, is to complete the Passenger Locator Form. I expect this requirment will be removed by mid July in line with the rest of Europe.

Advertisement