Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Benefits of Public Sector over Private Sector

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

I have interview in three weeks for a role, obviously salary is better and more holidays but anything i should be aware of like been easier to let go etc.

Go for the public sector, you would be mad not to. Better pay, much better pension on average, security ( ask the hundreds of thousands of private sector now out of work), less stress, more sick days, better perks than some private sector (eg not all private sector get the cycle to work bike allowance - the self employed do not), free coffees in petrol stations and entrance to coppers if you are a cop etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

addaword wrote: »
    Go for the public sector, you would be mad not to. Better pay, much better pension on average, security ( ask the hundreds of thousands of private sector now out of work), less stress, more sick days, better perks than some private sector (eg not all private sector get the cycle to work bike allowance - the self employed do not), free coffees in petrol stations and entrance to coppers if you are a cop etc.

How many threads do you have to ruin with your obsession with the Gardai? (I'm assuming you know we have no 'cops' in Ireland). Your obsession is very strange and your comprehension levels are questionable.

salonfire wrote: »
    Where are you living OP? If it is in the country or regional town, you are even better off in the Public Sector with cheaper housing but with a salary not adjusted to reflect the lower cost location.

All those savings are gobbled up when they have to send their kids to university in one if the cities. Its like a 2nd mortgage for many.

How many threads do you have to ruin with your obsession with the Gardai?

For what it is worth, the public service in general is much better paid, much better pensioned, much more secure and takes more sickies than the private sector. You are free to join the private sector if you want but almost nobody ever does once they are in the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

addaword wrote: »
    For what it is worth, the public service in general is much better paid, much better pensioned, much more secure and takes more sickies than the private sector. You are free to join the private sector if you want but almost nobody ever does once they are in the public sector.

Surprisingly you dodge the question asked. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mrsgiller wrote: »
    Public servant here, only sick leave I have had in the last 8 years is 8 weeks when I broke my leg, we don't all abuse the system
    I’d question why you couldn’t work with a broken leg ?
    I’ve worked with broken legs, ankles and arms over various stages

A public sector pension is a major plus. Much better off on one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

It won't be long until someone comes along claiming that they have only taken a half day off sick in the last 10 years.
    Even then, it was to get a triple bypass heart operation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

All those savings are gobbled up when they have to send their kids to university in one if the cities. Its like a 2nd mortgage for many.

The private sector face the same costs.

The public sector unions propaganda cynically point to the poor nurse having to house share in Dublin to drive up salaries across the country where housing costs are much lower.

The private sector adjusts the rate of pay to match local costs as well as supply and demand of suitable labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

ted1 wrote: »

Their doctor will have certified them off work, so you should probably ask them for the doctor's details and take it up with them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Their doctor will have certified them off work, so you should probably ask them for the doctor's details and take it up with them...

Those bloody private sector doctors.

Funny how these doctors suddenly got very good at treating illnessess of their public sector patients at the exact same time as sick pay benefits were reduced in the last recession.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I have stated the facts.

Public workers take on average almost twice as many sick days as private workers.

The number of sick days taken by Ireland's public servants is almost twice that taken by workers in the private sector according to new figures. Public servants average 8.5 sick days each year compared to 4.5 days in theprivate sector according to figures released by the Department of PublicExpenditure.

Funny how they get sick so much more often isn't it?

If you miss a Friday and a Monday , that counts as 4 sick days , not 2 , which goes a way to explaining the seemingly higher public sick days . You also have people in high risk jobs such as medical staff and Gardaí .

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

As mentioned, a doctor most likely has declared them unfit for work and following proper procedure, the workplace wouldn't let them back unless they were certified fit to work? Depending on the job usually but I couldn't imagine a lad with a broken leg being able to get down and inspect a sewer easily enough as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

salonfire wrote: »
    Funny how these doctors suddenly got very good at treating illnessess of their public sector patients at the exact same time as sick pay benefits were reduced in the last recession.

Have I missed something, was there a revolutionary development in orthopaedic medicine in the treatment of broken limbs...?

Although, I think I understand the point you're trying to make, is there stats around that, or are you just throwing sh1t around based on your clear biases?

Have I missed something, was there a revolutionary development in orthopaedic medicine in the treatment of broken limbs...?

Although, I think I understand the point you're trying to make, is there stats around that, or are you just throwing sh1t around based on your clear biases?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sick-leave-rules-in-public-service-generate-savings-of-50m-1.2476524?mode=amp

Amazing how many were suddenly well enough to work (260,000 days) when benefits were reduced.

Doesn’t answer the question why they could work. A doctor will gladly sign people off for various reasons. A broken leg goes in a cast, may or may need surgery. But once in a cast you just need crutches to move about. Hardly an issue stopping you from working.

Plenty of amputees and wheelchair users in the work place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭dubrov

These threads always go off topic and descend quickly

Doesn’t answer the question why they could work. A doctor will gladly sign people off for various reasons. A broken leg goes in a cast, may or may need surgery. But once in a cast you just need crutches to move about. Hardly an issue stopping you from working.

You are assuming every public sector worker works at a desk however. I have seen desk workers work in casts, but in general they will take time home to recover under doctor advice. If you have an issue with people following medical advice, you need to take your issue up with the doctors giving this advice and dispute it with your own professional medical advice. I assume here you must be a professional to know that every limb injury is the same more or less and everyone can work regardless. I might be wrong but your posting style implicates as such that you are. But just in case, you might be interested in some questions below;

Would you prefer if your house went on a fire and one of the fire service personnel rocked up with a broken leg and with crutches?

How about sewer inspections? Getting into manholes and organizing a removal of a fatberg is easy, sure they have two legs!

Site visit inspections?

Litter wardens going to use a crutch around town and try get people to stop for them when caught littering?

Traffic wardens going to go all day on crutches?

Are any of the above going to be able to fill paperwork correctly and in a timely manor with broken arms?

Next you'll want each type of person having different sick leave allowances depending on the job but then moan that it's inefficient to have someone administer different types of sick leave.

I get it though, they are some people that take the absolute biscuit with sick leave, there really is. But you know what, the vast majority don't. You are just like others in this thread who will highlight the worse case scenario and say it applies equally across the board for all PS workers.

No we don't all earn €1,000k a week wages.
    No we don't all take 8 days sick leave every year or 40 days a year.
    No we don't all get lump sums of 100K / 200k or pension pots of 1.8million.

If we got the above, every person would be a public sector worker rather than a private sector worker. Funnily enough, a lot of people turn public jobs down because the pay is below what they can earn in the private sector starting out.

FluffPiece wrote: »
    You are assuming every public sector worker works at a desk however. I have seen desk workers work in casts, but in general they will take time home to recover under doctor advice. If you have an issue with people following medical advice, you need to take your issue up with the doctors giving this advice and dispute it with your own professional medical advice. I assume here you must be a professional to know that every limb injury is the same more or less and everyone can work regardless. I might be wrong but your posting style implicates as such that you are. But just in case, you might be interested in some questions below;

Would you prefer if your house went on a fire and one of the fire service personnel rocked up with a broken leg and with crutches?

How about sewer inspections? Getting into manholes and organizing a removal of a fatberg is easy, sure they have two legs!

Site visit inspections?

Litter wardens going to use a crutch around town and try get people to stop for them when caught littering?

Traffic wardens going to go all day on crutches?

Are any of the above going to be able to fill paperwork correctly and in a timely manor with broken arms?

Next you'll want each type of person having different sick leave allowances depending on the job but then moan that it's inefficient to have someone administer different types of sick leave.

I get it though, they are some people that take the absolute biscuit with sick leave, there really is. But you know what, the vast majority don't. You are just like others in this thread who will highlight the worse case scenario and say it applies equally across the board for all PS workers.

No we don't all earn €1,000k a week wages.
    No we don't all take 8 days sick leave every year or 40 days a year.
    No we don't all get lump sums of 100K / 200k or pension pots of 1.8million.

If we got the above, every person would be a public sector worker rather than a private sector worker. Funnily enough, a lot of people turn public jobs down because the pay is below what they can earn in the private sector starting out.

Nice rant, but only a small number of PS are firemen etc. Also in many instances they could be assigned desk duties.

AS I have stated I’ve had several broken limbs over the years. And managed to work through them. At no time was the medical advice not to work. Although I was asked if I would like not to have to work and that a sick very could be issued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Nice rant, but only a small number of PS are firemen etc. Also in many instances they could be assigned desk duties.

AS I have stated I’ve had several broken limbs over the years. And managed to work through them. At no time was the medical advice not to work. Although I was asked if I would like not to have to work and that a sick very could be issued.

Do you want a medal or something? A lot of the time in the Public Sector its emotional stress that causes sick days.

Firemen, Gaurds, Hospital workers, Social Workers, Prison Officers, teachers etc.

Know a prison gaurd who was sliced numerous times with a shank across his back and head. Should he have returning to work the next day?

Or if a gaurd witnesses a crash and sees someone head detached from their body while trying to resucitate the children, should they go back to work next day?

Do you want a medal or something? A lot of the time in the Public Sector its emotional stress that causes sick days.

Firemen, Gaurds, Hospital workers, Social Workers, Prison Officers, teachers etc.

Know a prison gaurd who was sliced numerous times with a shank across his back and head. Should he have returning to work the next day?

Or if a gaurd witnesses a crash and sees someone head detached from their body while trying to resucitate the children, should they go back to work next day?

And how is stress related to a broken limb? Your comment is in no way related to anything I posted.

Gas..

Actually, most of the firemen that show up to your house are retained firefighters and are always on call. No desks for them to work at. If they are injured, they can't work. They've also got to live within a tight radius of the station they are based out of as speed is key in events of a fire. A limb might just hinder that aspect also.

But you'd know that if you researched a bit before bashing the entire public sector.

Any other part of my rant you want to pick through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Plenty of amputees and wheelchair users in the work place...

Really? I bet if went down to any large shopping center I world struggle to find anyone in leg cast or a wheelchair working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I always thought it was something to do with insurance. Need to be signed off and on work.

Lots of injuries I've had have stopped me from working on sites.

I have also worked in an office with my leg in a cast. In hindsight it was completely dumb thing to do. My over riding memory was struggling to cross slippy surfaces in train stations on rainy days. Was as awkward as hell trying to sit at a desk or move around the office.

If you are full time in crutches or wheelchair you probably need adjustments to facilitate that.

dubrov wrote: »
    It won't be long until someone comes along claiming that they have only taken a half day off sick in the last 10 years.
    Even then, it was to get a triple bypass heart operation

...Or someone died and still came to work....

FluffPiece wrote: »
    Actually, most of the firemen that show up to your house are retained firefighters and are always on call. No desks for them to work at. If they are injured, they can't work. They've also got to live within a tight radius of the station they are based out of as speed is key in events of a fire. A limb might just hinder that aspect also.

But you'd know that if you researched a bit before bashing the entire public sector.

Any other part of my rant you want to pick through?

There’s only 2060 retained firemen in Ireland. That Represents an insignificant number of the PS. But hey if it suits your agenda to use them as as true representation, then go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

There’s only 2060 retained firemen in Ireland. That Represents an insignificant number of the PS. But hey if it suits your agenda to use them as as true representation, then go ahead.

If you have an injury and get signed off by the doctor to be out of work then what is your issue?

Do you live for work or something? You seem to take pride in going to work when you had an injury.

Its kind of sad really. Do you know more than doctors now?

• Advertisement

A friend of my son hurt his finger in his left hand slightly playing sport, he worked at a desk job in the civil service and got a sick cert and was off work for 6 weeks. Happy as Larry. Does this kind of thing still go on?

Advertisement