Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much savings do you have and what age are you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

[HTML][/HTML]
    75k on college!!! Falk me sideways, Please tell me you have a rugby team amount of children.

A friend has spent 41-42k in one year on college, for three kids.

9k fees

Dublin rents, e.g. 700 pm.

Dublin student accomm, e.g. 6-8k.

Plus 100 cash to each child per week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

€54,000 and I’m 29
    Salary €36k and rent €800. I don’t have a car

Been through a lot of health issues since 2014 which left me out of work for periods adding up to 2 years in total so that could be higher. But aside from my rent I do t spend that much

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

What I find interesting about some of the replies is the wide descrepencies between savings, mortgage, pension, debt etc . People with huge savings and tiny pension for example. If you really want financial security later in life, putting money into your pension now will reap huge rewards in 30 years. Some have huge savings but have not yet bought a house? Others have a tiny mortgage payment but a huge car payment - would it not make sense to up the mortgage payment to pay it off quicker and save tens of thousands on interest?

I'm no expert but that's just what stands out as a little strange to me. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Zascar wrote: »
    What I find interesting about some of the replies is the wide descrepencies between savings, mortgage, pension, debt etc . People with huge savings and tiny pension for example. If you really want financial security later in life, putting money into your pension now will reap huge rewards in 30 years. Some have huge savings but have not yet bought a house? Others have a tiny mortgage payment but a huge car payment - would it not make sense to up the mortgage payment to pay it off quicker and save tens of thousands on interest?

I'm no expert but that's just what stands out as a little strange to me. Thoughts?

Depends on the circumstnces..late 20's/early 30's - they can have hugs saving but this could be for house purchase.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

In my case I don't know about buying a house. I don't live where I plan to live long term. When will I move there? I don't know. Could be a year, could be 4 or 5. I don't necessarily want to buy and then move right away but at the same time I don't want to rent for long periods either. I could rent it out if I moved but what if house prices collapse and I lose the equity and I am stuck.

If I was living where I was from I'd have bought a long time ago.

As for people having savings but not paying off the mortgage, maybe they're kinda like me in the sense they think they may or may not need the money for another purchase of some kind and it ends up just in your account. Once it's paid on the mortgage you can't take it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Geuze wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

A friend has spent 41-42k in one year on college, for three kids.

9k fees

Dublin rents, e.g. 700 pm.

Dublin student accomm, e.g. 6-8k.

Plus 100 cash to each child per week

I have friends doing extremely intense courses who still hold down part time jobs. If a child of mine had the absolute cheek to look for spending money while being patrolled for education then they wouldn't be long being told where to go.

22, 8k in savings.

As the approaching academic year is worth the majority of my degree Ive decided to quit my job and focus on studies. I've never not had a weekly income so its my first time having to budget and its a bit intimidating. I figure by next May I should have less than 1k left, after everything is paid and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Tig98 wrote: »
    22, 8k in savings.

As the approaching academic year is worth the majority of my degree Ive decided to quit my job and focus on studies. I've never not had a weekly income so its my first time having to budget and its a bit intimidating. I figure by next May I should have less than 1k left, after everything is paid and done.

Being optimistic if you think a year of college and living expenses will only cost 7k.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Being optimistic if you think a year of college and living expenses will only cost 7k.

Might be living at home or not have college fees to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

38 on between 85 and 90k. Wife at home with the kids.

8k savings
    Child allowance aside - going direct to other savings account for them.

Bought the house in December and will be paid for by say March 2021.
    Got a 30k loan (well 3 x 10k loans)

Pension could be better but employer matching 10% now. I'll put more in once the house done.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Other years have come in around 9k, and that was including a serious amount of partying and some minor holidays with friends. So Im hoping cutting all that out will shave off 2k, worst comes to worst Ill get a loan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Tig98 wrote: »
    I have friends doing extremely intense courses who still hold down part time jobs. If a child of mine had the absolute cheek to look for spending money while being patrolled for education then they wouldn't be long being told where to go.

What do you mean 'patrolled for education'? €100 wouldn't get a student through a week in college, especially not in first year imo. (unless they're pioneers) They most likely have part-time jobs also. I worked while I was a student but my parents gave me money every week and would kick up a fuss if I refused to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Makes me question what I've been doing with my life when I see people mortgage free before they're even 40. That's impressive.

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Makes me question what I've been doing with my life when I see people mortgage free before they're even 40. That's impressive.

In our situation a combination of luck, hard work, privilege, frugality and location.

I never planned it or even aimed toward it.

That my wife also had a similarly good job for maybe 4 or 5 years.
    That I didn't buy in 2006 or 2007 when I literally procrastinated up to the bust. No foresight just a fluke.

I do hate working in Dublin and London. Prefer quieter towns/cities or even better the countryside This has stood to me. Meant I never paid mad rent and probably lower cost of living.

Managed to get a reasonable job in mid Munster in 2014 and buy a very cheap house for cash. This meant no rent since and a tidy profit on that sale.

Privelged to both come from stable "middle class" houses. Both went to college. 25k Interest free loan to buy that first house. 20k this time
    (My dad's a teacher so we were deffo not middle class growing up but probably near it by college??)

Lucky to have had no ties in 2010 and both able to do a few years in uk

Also
    I still question how wise it is.
    I'll have been working say 17 years and will have the house paid for.
    That's nearly a 20 year mortgage anyway.
    I've no savings. It's a risk.
    Be better off with a 10 or 15 year mortgage and savings?
    Be better off with a 35 year mortgage 5 years ago and see if inflation would leave the last 10 or 15 years as very cheap money?

Hard to know......

Depends on time of life and priorities. I moved jobs about 2 years ago, my previous job had a mandatory pension my current job has no pension plan at all so I would have to setup my own. I decided to pay no pension for a few years so I could save more towards a house deposit without having to live overall frugally. Paying a pension would severely limit my ability to save. I’m also self building and planning to start work prior to getting a mortgage so I will need good amounts of savings to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Some have huge savings but have not yet bought a house?

Huge savings doesn't tell the whole tale of buying a house these days. Even with a comfortable 10% or 15% mortgage deposit in savings, the 3.5 loan-to-income ratio would be a stumbling block for a lot of people.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Haven't saved to much but i have a massive cock, ive a few Hens aswell so I get fresh eggs every morning. Makes a saving on that atleast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Limpy wrote: »
    Haven't saved to much but i have a massive cock, ive a few Hens aswell so I get fresh eggs every morning. Makes a saving on that atleast.
    You shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

It's scary how many people have almost no savings. People waste so much much money on ****e that doesn't improve their lives in any meaningful way. The best things in life are free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

It's scary how many people have almost no savings. People waste so much much money on ****e that doesn't improve their lives in any meaningful way. The best things in life are free.

If you're to go by this thread the average person has 50K in savings :)

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Yes I find it mad how some people throw their money away and don't value it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Many people save for a mortgage. It's easy to see where the money goes with the house, kids, wedding and pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

And how do savings enrich your life. Life is for living

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Tigerpants wrote: »
    Well done. Fair play to you

I'm counting my house as an asset in the price. Otherwise I only have 70k in investments.

Aim to downgrade on property in coming years to be mortgage free.
    Also want to have some kitty saved up to reduce my life in the rat race.

kieran. wrote: »
    And how do savings enrich your life. Life is for living

It's a safety net and also a possible option for early retirement or a reduced working week.

As some have said, the best things in life are free. I enjoy the outdoors which doesn't cost a dime, you are either a consumer or a producer.

lbplhs79 wrote: »
    39 - mortgage free house (280K), 100K cash savings and 65k in a pension fund.

That's impressive, hope you're investing some of the cash! Hope to roughly around the same at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FingerChips

Age 28, single

Saved 3k so far.

Living in Dublin. Immigrant. Came here as a student 4 years ago. Got a job 2 years ago.

Salary 48K
    Rent 945 (bills included. Shared accommodation)
    Send money home c.350 a month to pay off my student loan.
    I don't spend unnecessarily but I tend to splurge on travel.
    I don't own a car.

Amazed by the 20 something year olds and their savings/investments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Age 28, single

Saved 3k so far.

Living in Dublin. Immigrant. Came here as a student 4 years ago. Got a job 2 years ago.

Salary 48K
    Rent 945 (bills included. Shared accommodation)
    Send money home c.350 a month to pay off my student loan.
    I don't spend unnecessarily but I tend to splurge on travel.
    I don't own a car.

Amazed by the 20 something year olds and their savings/investments

Speaking as somebody who moved abroad from Ireland for a few years in their 20s, I understand how much it can set you back financially. I only got sporadic jobs and struggled for money, ended up borrowing to live and get home, came home to a recession aftermath. Trying to catch up financially in that environment swallowed the rest of my 20s. A jobbridge position was part of that too.

Mid 30s now. Not sure I'll ever get ahead. Paying a modest mortgage, have about 30K in a PRSA and about 5K in savings, which are dwindling as wife on unpaid maternity leave at the moment. I'm doing well to keep up, but getting ahead feels a big ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 FingerChips

Speaking as somebody who moved abroad from Ireland for a few years in their 20s, I understand how much it can set you back financially. I only got sporadic jobs and struggled for money, ended up borrowing to live and get home, came home to a recession aftermath. Trying to catch up financially in that environment swallowed the rest of my 20s. A jobbridge position was part of that too.

Mid 30s now. Not sure I'll ever get ahead. Paying a modest mortgage, have about 30K in a PRSA and about 5K in savings, which are dwindling as wife on unpaid maternity leave at the moment. I'm doing well to keep up, but getting ahead feels a big ask.

I think we ought to remember that not everyone's timelines and circumstances are the same. What might feel stressful now could make you stress free years later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement