Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid and Obesity

Comments

biko wrote: »
    https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-04-15/coronavirus-risk-higher-for-obese-people

The coronavirus is particularly unkind to those who are obese

https://www.ft.com/content/0409a776-8b85-11ea-a109-483c62d17528

Excess body fat seems to matter more than heart or lung disease, or smoking, when it comes to catching the virus

Again, as I asked above, what’s the point in their big ‘revelation’ of that now? Maybe if they had a crystal ball it would be worth knowing but the virus is rampant right now and you can’t lose weight overnight, so it’s pointless.
    Not that I’d take it massively seriously anyway as we hear a new study with a different story every week from somewhere trying to keep themselves relevant.
    Next week: ginger hair or long toenails makes you the highest risk for the virus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It’s oozing out of a lot of threads here.

Even the HSE list obesity as a high risk for COVID

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/people-at-higher-risk.html

it's something people are talking about. If it were underweight people no one would bat an eyelid at it being called out, but you're essentially trying to claim people on here are "fat shaming" people because they are obese

They are at a high risk if they get COVID full stop, if it motivates them to exercise and eat better, that can only be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

growleaves wrote: »
    I think it should be a wake-up call for every overweight person.

Hopefully more people learnt home cooking during the lockdown.

What good is home cooking if there's no portion control?

Stheno wrote: »
    Even the HSE list obesity as a high risk for COVID

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/people-at-higher-risk.html

it's something people are talking about. If it were underweight people no one would bat an eyelid at it being called out, but you're essentially trying to claim people on here are "fat shaming" people because they are obese

They are at a high risk if they get COVID full stop, if it motivates them to exercise and eat better, that can only be a good thing

Why though? COVID isn’t coming, it’s here, so there’s zero point in doing it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Large people can’t really walk in public because of attitudes towards them so you need the money and space for home walking equipment. And anyway, walking when you’re not going anywhere is a pain in the hole.

Anyway, the virus is already here to it’s basically too late for anyone to be starting now. If you’d a couple of years heads up it was coming then maybe.

All I'm hearing is excuses not to exercise. Of course large people can walk in public.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The long term benefits of a better lifestyle?

Not every obese person will get this so if they do something now and in six months time the virus flares up they might be in better shape if they do get it?

I've two.family members with BMIs in the mid 40s range too, I dont know as the subject is verboten around them, but I would hope they are trying to get that down

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Why though? COVID isn’t coming, it’s here, so there’s zero point in doing it now.

But those who fall into that category are now aware they are more at risk, and perhaps might take more care. Just as someone who is pregnant, or is immune compromise etc. I don’t see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

wadacrack wrote: »
    Will this pandemic change our relationship in terms of our own personal health. The risk with obesity now beginning to more mainstream attention here and in he UK.

Healthier diets/less sugar and more emphasis on your own personal health hopefully will be a by product of this pandemic. Not just throwing drugs at yet another health problem . A More holistic approach required

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/obesity-stigma-and-vulnerability-to-covid-19-1.4250389

I hope there will be changes in the future. I think there was a sugar tax on drinks before this but I was able to see it was a revenue raising exercise. It should have been introduced as part of a broader package against obesity.

Like extra taxes on take away meals
    Making fruit and vegetables cheaper
    Reorganising shops to take away the sweet and chocolate stuffs from counters and taxing them too or implement a system of no special offers on sweet stuffs
    Even coming down heavy on marketing for example cereal ads selling weight loss (what an absolute pack of balls that is).
    Introducing a longer school day especially for primary school children with a focus on adding in PE every day and this will help working parents too on the afterschool childcare.

I'm someone who is unfortunately overweight. It came from a history of bad choices. I walked a lot growing up like to and from school because the family didn't have a car. Basically years of eating the wrong foods and carb heavy meals.

I changed my diet over the past 2 years because of dental issues. I eliminated sugar drinks, juices, sugars, reduced carbs like bread, cereals,

Something I love doing now is focusing in on breakfast for nutrition and when I get that right, the rest of the day goes smoothly and I find when evening comes around, I don't have an appetite for dinner. What I've done was essentially flip dinnertime to breakfast. Like I would have salmon with vegetables about 2 or 3 times a week for breakfast. Other mornings, it might be boiled eggs with veg. I target in on breakfast on my main meal. Before that I would have cereal for breakfast and I would feel myself crashing or craving by mid morning.

I also started using the app that came with my phone since February. Its a fitness app. That was an eye opener. I walk regularly and I thought I was doing enough but it turns out the walking I was doing wasn't enough.

Zooming in and focusing on the nutrition especially for breakfast and coupling it with the walking and the fitness app telling me to exercise more, I'm dropping in weight. A little bit over a stone since February. I'm delighted. I still have more to do and I hope to continue going on this path. The best bit is I don't feel I'm starved or hungry and it doesn't feel like I'm dieting and It feel like I'm putting the body under too much pressure or extersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Then Belgium's minister of health Maggie De Block is ****ed

hw1cji8nal011.jpg

Maggie deBlock O’Lard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

_Brian wrote: »
    Obesity is far too accepted in society now.
    Sensible eating and modest regular exercise is all it takes yet so many chose not to and then expect not to be ridiculed for their laziness.

Do you ridicule people for their vices, whatever they may be? Do people ridicule your vices? Because you do have vices. They’re a by-product of being a human being.

• Advertisement

This hatred is in your head tbh.

I have personally witnessed overweight people being mocked as they exercise. Doesn’t necessarily happen often but it does happen.

I’ve have personally witnessed overweight people being mocked as they exercise. Doesn’t necessarily happen often but it does happen.

For people to say it doesn’t happen in gyms especially is absolutely laughable.

For people to say it doesn’t happen in gyms especially is absolutely laughable.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe gyms are exempt.

I saw a very overweight woman being mocked as she swam lengths at a pier even though she gave it socks. I’ve seen runners and walkers have comments made at them as they passed people and things even shouted from cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I don't doubt it happens. The fitness industry has a lot of narcissists. These people even laugh at in shape people to make themselves feel better and highlights their own insecurities more than anything.

**** them.

I’ve have personally witnessed overweight people being mocked as they exercise. Doesn’t necessarily happen often but it does happen.

It's not something I've ever come across but then, I dont do much exercise

And I'm probably quite biased as I'm quite thin (BMI of 19) and particularly with some of my family, anytime I visit I'm subjected to a barrage of questions like

"Why havent you put on weight?"
    "Wvery time I see you, you're even skinnier"
    "Do you ever.eat?'
    "what size clothes are you now?"

Every ****ing time. Result? I dont bother engaging with them unless I have to, and my weight is pretty consistent for years

Same with people I work with, if you refer to me in a derogatory fashion about my weight, I'll minimise my interactions with you

So maybe that's coloured my view tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im sure some overweight people are mocked, much like other groups in society. There will be a always someone passing comment or judgement. But thats not really a good enough excuse to not look after yourself.

Its been brilliant to see so many people out walking/running and cycling but equally sad to see so many over weight. Taking exercise is good for the soul and it doesnt have to be in a gym. There are many fitness groups now, walking groups, yoga, cycling, boot camps, swimming. The list goes on, not to mention youtube. There is endless hours of workouts there for free to suit all levels. For anyone who isn't comfortable they can work out at home. But every individual has to accept they need to make changes and they have to want too.

Portion control is key, what you eat and how much. As they saying goes you cant outrun a bad diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Will this pandemic change our relationship in terms of our own personal health. The risk with obesity now beginning to more mainstream attention here and in he UK.

Healthier diets/less sugar and more emphasis on your own personal health hopefully will be a by product of this pandemic. Not just throwing drugs at yet another health problem . A More holistic approach required

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/obesity-stigma-and-vulnerability-to-covid-19-1.4250389

Exercise and healthy eating requires a lot of effort and does not come for free --- in fact it is damn painful at times. People will always want to stay away from discomfort, its actually part of our basic behaviour. That is the reason why there are more people who are out of shape then otherwise. If it would be easy everybody would look like a movie star and be ripped. Countries that make it socially acceptable to be heavenly obese will probably do not do as well as societies as those that do everything to prevent it --- sickness and early death is generally a bad thing for any society, even if you can make a lot of money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah, I find it hard to believe gyms are exempt.

I saw a very overweight woman being mocked as she swam lengths at a pier even though she gave it socks. I’ve seen runners and walkers have comments made at them as they passed people and things even shouted from cars.

That's absolutely disgusting behaviour.

Listen to music and then, when you see people shouting out of a car, simply realise that they are cheering you... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Choosing a lifestyle that leaves you vulnerable to Covid and other illnesses is idiotic tbh.

• Advertisement

Choosing a lifestyle that leaves you vulnerable to Covid and other illnesses is idiotic tbh.

There is no relationship between smoking and lung cancer.

Whatever about the latter you’d want to have seen some fortune teller to base any life choice on Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Then Belgium's minister of health Maggie De Block is ****ed

hw1cji8nal011.jpg

That's a disgrace

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Rodin wrote: »
    That's a disgrace

I'm overweight, but trying. She was a GP for 25 years, so should know the health risks of obesity...

Rodin wrote: »
    That's a disgrace

Why? I think she shows the world that everybody --- yes, ABSOLUTELY EVERYBODY --- can become health minister. The same counts for president of the so-called 'best economy of the world'. Hope is what the world runs on...

It's not something I've ever come across but then, I dont do much exercise

And I'm probably quite biased as I'm quite thin (BMI of 19) and particularly with some of my family, anytime I visit I'm subjected to a barrage of questions like

"Why havent you put on weight?"
    "Wvery time I see you, you're even skinnier"
    "Do you ever.eat?'
    "what size clothes are you now?"

Every ****ing time. Result? I dont bother engaging with them unless I have to, and my weight is pretty consistent for years

Same with people I work with, if you refer to me in a derogatory fashion about my weight, I'll minimise my interactions with you

So maybe that's coloured my view tbh

Okay, so why is it hard for you believe that overweight people might also get comments?

I know. The pier one is burned in my mind. Arseholes.

Okay, so why is it hard for you believe that overweight people might also get comments?

Because as I've said I've never come across people being mocked in gyms or out exercising which are the examples given. That said I dont go to gyms or do much exercise outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Walking is exercise

Depends on how fast you walk and for how long. I was a consultants secretary for a short while and she’d often roll her eyes when she heard of patients who needed to do exercise saying they walk for exercise.

It’s known as an excuse/panic-reply for someone wants to pretend they exercise regularly, even if they’re just trying to trick themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A walk will fill your lungs with air and get the blood moving which is good for ones health, but it will not get you 'fit' or reduce weight loss unless it's the kind of walking that puts blisters on your feet. Anyway it's only one thing to do - consuming less of the wrong foods is without the most effective way of losing weight. And that shouldn't need saying.

Advertisement