Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most miserable and grim towns and villages in Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Shane Lowry broke free of the vice somehow.

The posters are still up. For forty eight hours after he won, the town was alive though that's true. But the circus passed through quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Clara Co Offaly. Grim.

They used to have a kind of street market there every Sunday, most of the stuff on sale was rumoured to be stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,799 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Rathkeale, County Limerick. Close the thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

They used to have a kind of street market there every Sunday, most of the stuff on sale was rumoured to be stolen.

I believe the word rumoured is superfluous here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The pints of cider while playing pool in a ran down pub on a Tuesday night.

I would pay a quite considerable sum to be back drinking cider while playing pool in a run down pub next Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Winner.

Youghal is absolutely ****e, I live 20 mins away and haven't visited in more than 20 years. Macroom as well, a soulless dump, can't wait til the bypass is finished so I can avoid it on my way to Kerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Kilcock - Kildare
    Castledermot - Kildare
    Enfield - Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

I do a fair bit of driving with my job and Strokestown always struck me as a bit sad and run down when I passed through it.
    Nice wide main street but nearly everything in it is closed and boarded up.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Mohill Co. Leitrim and Granard Co. Longford are still stuck in 1960 then Longford town is just a horrible place. It was a much better town twenty years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

furiousox wrote: »
    I do a fair bit of driving with my job and Strokestown always struck me as a bit sad and run down when I passed through it.
    Nice wide main street but nearly everything in it is closed and boarded up.

Its strikes me as the type of kip where a lot of clerical sexual abuse took place.

• Advertisement

Moycullen?

Parody account.

I'm a Dub. I lived in Navan for 10 years and found it immensely depressing. Just something about it.
    I now live on the Dublin side of Drogheda, a few minutes from the beach, a few minutes from the M1, a great train service to Dublin, close to the Airport. All of that aside (of maybe because of it) there is a completely different atmosphere in Drogheda to Navan yet they're only 25 minutes apart. Far more upbeat, less squinting windows and "where did you come from?? I was a blow in in Navan, it was very clannish. In Drogheda nobody cares who you are, where you're from ... and I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

The market was still going strong a few months ago when I drove past it. It isn't in the town though - it's a few miles out. Perhaps so that its shadier patrons can make a quick getaway? :pac:

Abbeyleix got mentioned in this thread and I'm not sure why. It's an estate town and those tend to be nicer than other villages and towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I grew up in a small West of Ireland town, and am a regular visitor back to Ireland, especially during the summer months. My own town wouldn't even be a particularly awful one, by the admittedly low standards it would be compared against.

It's the whole package of small town Irish life that fills me with horror. The lack of ambition inherent in a decision to live in one of these awful places. The nosiness, the resentment, the jealousy that emerges as your mind starts to warp during to lack of intellectual and cultural stimulation. The boarded up shops and pubs, the decay, the fading signs, the empty butcher, the sadness. Gormless looking men standing in a pub door sharing a rollie cigarette. Fat-arsed women wearing a O'Neills tracksuit pushing a trolley around the local Supervalu while two peanut-headed children follow her around. The Wrangler bootcut jeans, Superdry jackets, and checked shirts. The acceptance of 3rd world levels of dental hygiene amongst the populace. The pints of cider while playing pool in a ran down pub on a Tuesday night.

That's a bit harsh. You're describing a minority of country people there, and those descriptions ring true for cities too. Lots of good and interesting people living in small towns and villages.

I'm a Dub. I lived in Navan for 10 years and found it immensely depressing. Just something about it.
    I now live on the Dublin side of Drogheda, a few minutes from the beach, a few minutes from the M1, a great train service to Dublin, close to the Airport. All of that aside (of maybe because of it) there is a completely different atmosphere in Drogheda to Navan. Far more upbeat, less squinting windows and "where did you come from?? I was a blow in in Navan, it was very clannish. In Drogheda nobody cares... and I like that.

Is Drogheda not full of knacker wars at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Blanch
    Tallaght
    Clondalkin
    Coolock
    Balbriggan
    Ballyfermot
    Killbarrack
    Ballymun
    Finglas

That's a bit harsh. You're describing a minority of country people there, and those descriptions ring true for cities too. Lots of good and interesting people living in small towns and villages.

It’s been a joke account for years here that runs down anything Irish. I wouldn’t pay any attention.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I've driven through Ferns once or twice, always got a weird feel about the place.

Is Drogheda not full of knacker wars at the minute?

I'm on the good side of it :D....... and even they've gone quiet at the moment. They've been there for decades, a small sector, you've just got to get on with it, its a good town , almost a suburb of Dublin now.

beertons wrote: »
    I've driven through Ferns once or twice, always got a weird feel about the place.

Well if you keep stopping off in that well known dogging area, what do you expect?

• Advertisement

I'm on the good side of it :D....... and even they've gone quiet at the moment. They've been there for decades, a small sector, you've just got to get on with it, its a good town , almost a suburb of Dublin now.

Dundalk is nearly a suburb at this stage. I’d always said I’d never live north of the Dublin Galway line but Drogheda is one I’d look at these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Portarlington and Mountmellick are places you wouldn't live if given a free house.

Edenderry (wtf is with the awful roads there?)

Killala in Mayo is weirdly depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Borris-in-Ossory

Bus Eireann used to always stop there for a break on their Dublin Limerick route.

A god forsaken place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

tastyt wrote: »
    Blanch
    Tallaght
    Clondalkin
    Coolock
    Balbriggan
    Ballyfermot
    Killbarrack
    Ballymun
    Finglas

What is this, a pick n mix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Ah these things always lead to parochial rubbish.....
    but having said that......

Glanmire....kip...

Well as someone who has Glanmire in my address and I am the fifth generation of my family to have lived there I feel I must come to it's defence. When I was young Glanmire and Riverstown were two distinct villages a mile apart, Riverstown always had a bit of a rougher reputation but due to geography (Glanmire proper had nowhere to expand) it's grown huge sucking any bit of life out of Glanmire, I remember when it had 3 shops and 3 pubs, even Glanmire post office is now in Riverstown.
    Most of the people living in Riverstown will tell you they live in Glanmire, in fact I hear the name Riverstown rarely being used these days.
    True there is little in Glanmire proper but you have to admit that the view of it from the road near the entrance to the Vienna Woods hotel with the river , steep wooded hills and church steeple is one of the prettiest villagescapes in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

tastyt wrote: »
    Blanch
    Tallaght
    Clondalkin
    Coolock
    Balbriggan
    Ballyfermot
    Killbarrack
    Ballymun
    Finglas

Can only speak for Tallaght and Clondalkin as I'm most familiar with them but there is plenty of good points to both. Lots of good shops, restaurants, pubs, parks, access to the city etc...

Seamai wrote: »
    Well as someone who has Glanmire in my address and I am the fifth generation of my family to have lived there I feel I must come to it's defence. When I was young Glanmire and Riverstown were two distinct villages a mile apart, Riverstown always had a bit of a rougher reputation but due to geography (Glanmire proper had nowhere to expand) it's grown huge sucking any bit of life out of Glanmire, I remember when it had 3 shops and 3 pubs, even Glanmire post office is now in Riverstown.
    Most of the people living in Riverstown will tell you they live in Glanmire, in fact I hear the name Riverstown rarely being used these days.
    True there is little in Glanmire proper but you have to admit that the view of it from the road near the entrance to the Vienna Woods hotel with the river , steep wooded hills and church steeple is one of the prettiest villagescapes in the country.

Nope..it's a kip...and full of some of the vilest people I have ever met...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Nope..it's a kip...and full of some of the vilest people I have ever met...

That's Riverstown, you've obviously never met me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Youghal is absolutely ****e, I live 20 mins away and haven't visited in more than 20 years. Macroom as well, a soulless dump, can't wait til the bypass is finished so I can avoid it on my way to Kerry.

How do you know so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

How do you know so?

Because unless they levelled the place in the meantime it won't have improved :pac:

Advertisement