Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes: to protect others
    Luke O'Neil was on the late late show in February confirming masks work when you are infected though. So Luke was pretty sure that masks prevented the spread of Covid in the same way they prevent the spread of Covid now.

FEBRUARY FEBRUARY FEBRUARY

Is doing more studies on a very new virus and finding out more about so wrong? It looks like we're better off knowing more now than we did then. Unless you want everyone to stop wearing masks of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Yes: surgical
    Luke O' Neill strikes me as a lovely, positive person

But hasn't he changed his opinion a lot forward and back and back and forward since March?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Tork

Yes: to protect others
    When did he change his mind backwards on the masks issue?

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Tork wrote: »
    FEBRUARY FEBRUARY FEBRAURY

Yep. Which makes it all the worse that this evidence that masks prevent the spread exists and we didn't make it mandatory until August.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

FEBRUARY FEBRUARY FEBRUARY

Is doing more studies on a very new virus and finding out more about so wrong? It looks like we're better off knowing more now than we did then. Unless you want everyone to stop wearing masks of course.

What studies on the virus?

Europe was wearing masks long before us. What studies did they have done that we didn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

patnor1011 wrote: »
    It is very hard to make comparison which will completely apply. I ask everyone in my car to wear seatbelt but... I actually can not wear one yet I have to drive sometimes. So every time I sit behind wheel I take calculated risk fully knowing that it may cost me while I can not require or expect everyone on the road to go away because I have to go somewhere not wearing one. It is my choice and I have to live with consequences.
    Same go for say diabetics - we cant ban all sugar and chocolate because it may hurt them or take out nuts as some people can die from exposure.

Not everything is black and white and this topic become so divisive for some people that they think that it is either their way or no way. There is always the middle road yet we seems to not be able to see it.

Appreciate that ...

As detailed for those that 'cant' there should be no issue in wearing a mask.

As for those that 'won't - that's a somewhat different scenario...

The other issue is of course that a diabetic eating something sweet is most likley not going to injure anyone else.

For those that 'can' wear a mask - there are few excuses for not doing so and protecting themselves and more importantly others ...

re: the protests in Dublin yesterday
    South Korea Warns It's on Brink of Nationwide Pandemic

https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/266173494/south-korea-warns-its-on-brink-of-nationwide-pandemic
    Jung said 841 new cases could be traced back to an anti-government rally held this month by a right-wing preacher who heads the Sarang Jell Presbyterian Church.

Another group of cases in South Korea has been traced to a Starbucks, officials say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

No: I will wait for the HSE to recommend
    It is very hard to make comparison which will completely apply. I ask everyone in my car to wear seatbelt but... I actually can not wear one yet I have to drive sometimes. So every time I sit behind wheel I take calculated risk fully knowing that it may cost me while I can not require or expect everyone on the road to go away because I have to go somewhere not wearing one. It is my choice and I have to live with consequences.
    Same go for say diabetics - we cant ban all sugar and chocolate because it may hurt them or take out nuts as some people can die from exposure.

Not everything is black and white and this topic become so divisive for some people that they think that it is either their way or no way. There is always the middle road yet we seems to not be able to see it.

Exactly but let's constantly shift the goalposts to fulfil our agenda. Another thing I would like to point is the hypocrisy of the selective outrage of people without masks who are apparently killing grannies but not 6,666 of the most precious form of human life that were mudered last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Yes: valved
    ShineOn7 wrote: »

Wasn't there BLM protests a couple of weeks ago and we didn't see an increase in cases, did we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

No: other
    There are now scientific studies which prove that face coverings stop or greatly reduce the number of infected droplets coming from a person's nose and mouth. This one is from the British Medical Journal https://thorax.bmj.com/content/early/2020/07/24/thoraxjnl-2020-215748

F1.large.jpg

Or you could just not get in people's faces.

• Advertisement

Wasn't there BLM protests a couple of weeks ago and we didn't see an increase in cases, did we?

Fair point

There's this too from the same article though
    COVID-19 cases are starting to emerge from the massive 10-day motorcycle rally held earlier this month in Sturgis, in the U.S. state of South Dakota, authorities say.

Health officials in Minnesota, Nebraska and South Dakota say they have identified infections connected with the rally. Authorities warn, however, that the full extent of infections from the rally will not be known for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Graham wrote: »
    Masks haven't changed.

We now have a better understanding how Coronavirus spreads.

Have we..???
    Please enlighten us.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Remains to be seen. Community transmission was non-existent at the time of the BLM protests so very likely that no-one at the protest was carrying the virus. Also the protesters did go to effort of wearing masks and socially distancing. In the photos I've seen of the anti-lockdown protests, everyone is shoulder to shoulder with each other. Also I imagine the type of person to attend the anti-lockdown protest is far more likely to have been exposed to Covid without distancing measures that the average member of the population and far less likely to restrict movement/contacts afterwards as well. A load of them were bussed up and down from around the country for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It seems that most of this debate and grievances go around "wearing masks in shops".
    A more targeted response may be more effective.
    Why would we even try to get 4 million people compliant with threats of fines and so on when instead we can try something much easier to enforce - like designate and somehow enforce certain hours where only old and those who think they are vulnerable will be able to do their shopping in peace.
    People do not observe social distancing in shops anyway, more than half of them walk past hand sanitizers by the entrance and good quarter of them if not more wear their mask in a way it is pointless to even have it on. Not to mention that a lot of what is considered "mask" mostly those fancy home made types effectivity is quite questionable.
    Have you seen those small chin strapped plexi contraptions which go all the way from your mouth to bottom of your nose? Like how is about 10cm x 15cm of plexi glass going to protect you or anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

I get it but in doing so they think we are intolerant. No policy ever had 100% backing and if they think so let them argue their point. We quickly apply some label and in most cases that label is derrogatory. This is a road to nowhere but more hate.
    I said it many times I have no problem with people wearing masks but people seems to have problem with me not wearing one without knowing abything about my situation. I simply avoid going to shops as I am tired of getting dirty looks of everyone passing me and anyone else in the same situation.
    We are in this for a very long run and this virus is going to stay with us. We will have to learn to live with it. Please let us not to have some civil war about it.

It goes both ways.

Misinformation on the internet is the main cause

Also living with it is not possible. First it is not living and second the ****er multiplies.

If it had weakened it wouldn't be ripping a hole in Latin America right now.

Seanergy wrote: »
    Prof O'Neil also says the main reason for wearing a mask is to stop you spreading it, which is very important.

It's very possible Prof O'Neil did not know about asymptomatic spread on the 28th of Feb when interview happened. The WHO only found out about asymptomatic spread in the 2nd week of February.

CMO at the time probably knew of asymptomatic spread but in an effort to protect supply used the no scientific evidence that masks work mantra.

He did'nt know then and he knows even less now,
    A total and utter bluffer/chancer that will simply go with the flow.
    He's getting paid massively to know FFS.
    As for the WHO, each and everyone of them at the top level will hopefully in time be frog-marched in chains before the International Criminal Court in the Hague and held to account for their actions.
    Tedros in particular, a former terrorist, with little or no medical knowledge or experience needs investigation regarding how he became Director General of this shambolic organisation, while an expert with 40 years experience in several countries was overlooked.

gozunda wrote: »
    Appreciate that ...

As detailed for those that 'cant' there should be no issue in wearing a mask.

As for those that 'won't - that's a somewhat different scenario...

The other issue is of course that a diabetic eating something sweet is most likley not going to injure anyone else.

I agree. There are people who tend to disagree with something for sport or the sake of it yet in this situation we completely lack mechanism on how to diferentiate or separate those who cant from those who wont.
    And that is a pretty big problem. It can not be done by the look. While some people may look sick I may strike you as perfectly normal. That is why I am labeled as antimasker everywhere I go. People can not carry stickers saying I am asthmatic or I have mental health issues as they will be singled out even more.
    gozunda wrote: »
    For those that 'can' wear a mask - there are few excuses for not doing so and protecting themselves and more importantly others ...

The single biggest issue, and I do not know how to put it is this:
    No matter how fashionable or nice is to say that "we should care about others" simple fact of the life is that only very few people are capable of this.
    Absolute majority of people will care of themselves first and foremost. Then perhaps family or close friends. Others? That is a very distant and abstract entity.
    If you do not believe, you just need to open your eyes.

Ya but those 'protesters' were 'responsible people' wearing masks (in many cases wearing balaclavas) or maybe the virus knows the difference between BLM protesters and other protesters in the same way it can tell the difference between primary school buses and secondary school buses....;);)

Anyone who listens to Professor Delores Cahill a woman who is an expert in the fields of mediciene and immunology is considered conspiracy theorist it seems there is an agenda at play when expsrts aren't listened to and the only experts being heard on the msm are saying the same thing.

washman3 wrote: »
    Ya but those 'protesters' were 'responsible people' wearing masks (in many cases wearing balaclavas) or maybe the virus knows the difference between BLM protesters and other protesters in the same way it can tell the difference between primary school buses and secondary school buses....;);)

It's a very clever virus that can tell if you paid 9€ for a meal, becomes more infectious after 11.30pm, knows you've been in a restaurant for more than 105 mins and then strikes.

• Advertisement

i_surge wrote: »
    It goes both ways.

Misinformation on the internet is the main cause

Also living with it is not possible. First it is not living and second the ****er multiplies.

If it had weakened it wouldn't be ripping a hole in Latin America right now.

Perhaps you did not understand me. I am not saying we should live "with it". All I am saying is that this virus is not going anywhere. There is no way we can get rid of it - like ever. It will stay with us like all other viruses and we will adapt somehow. It will take some time but I have no doubt we learn how to. Same like we did with other viruses.

Perhaps you did not understand me. I am not saying we should live "with it". All I am saying is that this virus is not going anywhere. There is no way we can get rid of it - like ever. It will stay with us like all other viruses and we will adapt somehow. It will take some time but I have no doubt we learn how to. Same like we did with other viruses.

That's true but many seem adamant that there will be a vaccine. Would actually not surprise if there is a vaccine there and ready to go that they are waiting to release it is quite ironic that the world's top ten billionaire's net worth all increased during since covid 1984 started I smell something fishy.

A lot of government officials say we can't go back to normal until there is a vaccine, do they know something we don't or are they that deluded and don't realise there may never be a vaccine and we can't keep living like this forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

robinph wrote: »
    Here you go.

Wonder if lack of short term memory is a sign of bad genes that need removing from the gene pool as well?

It’s evolution, not Covid that removes weak genes from the gene-pool. As I stating in the quote you used.

Another who has trouble reading what’s right in front of them. Loosen the masks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

No: I don't care enough
    It is worrying to see so much of a hate around all this. Some people suddenly become national health advice experts just by googling and soaking every bit of news they can find supporting their view.

To me it looks like we lost common sense. We act like children and somehow perceive others like some sort of challenged people who can not think or take care of themselves. I wonder how it happened that we dumbed down so much.

Instead of talking, debating and arguing our points we straight switch to hate and immediately dismiss people whose opinion differ from our own quickly attaching some hateful labels like antimaskers and so on.

What is next? Vigilante squads patrolling shops interrogating people why they do not wear mask? Perhaps some light beating behind a corner to remind them they are killing our old and vulnerable?

People need to cop on and realize that most of vulnerable and old people or their families already know what to do to minimize their exposure and risk of catching this or any other virus. These people, me included, are sick, not retarded. I can not and will not demand everyone else to step on eggshells around me I have no problem to accept that most of the people have enough of their own problems to care about mine. It is solely my own responsibility to try to stay safe while I am also trying to live my life as best as I can.

This whole issue become almost religious to some people who go around looking for deviation of what they think others should be doing. Some people do have legitimate reasons not to wear masks and when I see one "maskless antimasker" I smile on them instead of giving them dirty looks or trying to question them. These people do have their reasons not to wear them and I accept it. The same way I accept people who wear one.

Take everything you said there and apply it to your previous posts and take a good long hard ironic look in the mirror...

You have to be trolling. No one is that self unaware. ..

National health experts are advising the masks you disparage..

Dumbed down so much? Really? Science is clear masks work.

Dismiss people whos opinion differs from our own? Better than dismissing the lives of older folk or the vulnerable methinks..

Vigilantes? Drama queen much? Its a mask
    Small ask to save a life. Your welcome to self isolate at home.if you dont want to wear one..

It IS your choice wether to isolate or not, but wearing masks allows other people choices wether to participate or not.

You are dead right. People DO need to cop on. Such a small ask, wear a mask save a life.

Its not the flu, bro.

GT89 wrote: »
    Exactly but let's constantly shift the goalposts to fulfil our agenda. Another thing I would like to point is the hypocrisy of the selective outrage of people without masks who are apparently killing grannies but not 6,666 of the most precious form of human life that were mudered last year.

omg. I didnt realise maskers were also pro abortion. jeepers i must've missed that memo.

Was there a form we needed to sign to wear a mask?

Yeah like we learned to live with spanish flu.
    After it killed every person it could.

I wouldve hoped both we as a civilisation, AND science has advanced enough that we have control this time.

All science needs is time.. Masking and slowing the spread gives us that time.

GT89 wrote: »
    That's true but many seem adamant that there will be a vaccine. Would actually not surprise if there is a vaccine there and ready to go that they are waiting to release it is quite ironic that the world's top ten billionaire's net worth all increased during since covid 1984 started I smell something fishy.

A lot of government officials say we can't go back to normal until there is a vaccine, do they know something we don't or are they that deluded and don't realise there may never be a vaccine and we can't keep living like this forever.

There is a vaccine out there but it was dismissed as "rushed, not tested, not reliable" just to name a few characteristics - with the most important - that it is not good because it is Russian.
    I do not know but they do have a head start on this so when other vaccines will start to roll out eventually then still Russian one may be more tempting as it is "being tested" right now while others are still on paper only.
    There will be vaccine, quite a few of them actually due to huge demand for it. Effectiveness will vary as it is the case with most of modern vaccines but I would not put my faith in this direction too much. Corona viruses vaccines are complicated to start with and viruses are mutating as they go and if flu vaccines are any indication - it is a hit and miss, with more of a miss mostly.
    Since disease is mostly a mild one if symptoms even develop I would focus more on the looking for a treatment.
    But there is dedicated thread for vaccines and this one deal with masks so let us move on from this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

It will die off in time like all the others once it has done what it came to do.

Being a highly evolved sentient dominant species with advanced technologies we have the ability to fight nature and make it go away quicker.

Of course we are not doing that because western culture is horribly selfish and mediocre and maybe not fully evolved...but we could, if we tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    wear a mask save a life

:o

• Advertisement

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Take everything you said there and apply it to your previous posts and take a good long hard ironic look in the mirror...

You have to be trolling. No one is that self unaware. ..

National health experts are advising the masks you disparage..

Dumbed down so much? Really? Science is clear masks work.

Dismiss people whos opinion differs from our own? Better than dismissing the lives of older folk or the vulnerable methinks..

Vigilantes? Drama queen much? Its a mask
    Small ask to save a life. Your welcome to self isolate at home.if you dont want to wear one..

It IS your choice wether to isolate or not, but wearing masks allows other people choices wether to participate or not.

You are dead right. People DO need to cop on. Such a small ask, wear a mask save a life.

Its not the flu, bro.

You are literally accusing someone of being a troll for having a different opinion to you. Seriously this supposed to bea place where people can have a different opinion. I have a different opinion about covid than you but I don't have any problem with your opinion apart from disagreeing with it.

Also people keep saying it's not just the flu but it seems they downplay the severity of the flu. The flu is not just the sniffles the flu kills people especially the elderly and vulnerable but how come I wasn't a selfish prick last winter for not wearing a mask or why wasn't there a lockdown for flu season.

I knew a number of people who had that Aussie flu a few years ago that were bed bound for two weeks and took 6 weeks to fully recover but yet there was no lockdown and no masks. I know not one who got covid 1984 but that was worthy of universal mask wearing and lockdowns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement