Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

switching from electric ireland

• 24-02-2020 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭

Bills are very high recenly, wonder what the best path is to go? Ring them up and tell them i'm switching in the hope they offer a better deal? Or use something like switcher.ie to change straight away? Anyone have any experience with this? Is there a thread that has info on this? I tried to search but didn't see anything .Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

Bills are very high recenly, wonder what the best path is to go? Ring them up and tell them i'm switching in the hope they offer a better deal? Or use something like switcher.ie to change straight away? Anyone have any experience with this? Is there a thread that has info on this? I tried to search but didn't see anything .Thanks.

I rang and afaik/ remember got e120 credit last year

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I have been changing provider almost every year. I find that they will offer small discounts to stay when the contract is up but when you check what other providers are offering new customers it's a no brainer.

There was one exception about 4 years ago where I got a very generous Bod Gais rep who applied something like €200 credit to my account but amazingly the following year the offer was a miserly 5%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Bought my first apartment. Only myself and the girlfriend in it. I did the calculations for the year before choosing electric Ireland, they said it would be €800.
    We’re already over that and there’s still 3 months to go before May. Bear in mind we only turned on the electric radiators in October after signing up in May. Mental to be honest.
    Will be switching or letting them know anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I have a couple of reminders at 11 months into my electricity and broadband contracts and I never bother to check with the current provider. Just to it every year. New customers get the best deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Cheers thanks for the replies! My parents are saying they switch every year as well no matter what. Will probably ring just incase though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 miromie

Cheers thanks for the replies! My parents are saying they switch every year as well no matter what. Will probably ring just incase though.

I contact them recently asking for any bonus for loyal customers - I was told that I can go to elsewhere and then come back to get 250e bonus. They also promised that someone will call me from reward department but it now two weeks and nothing... they support is useless Shop around and go elsewhere there is good deal on onebigswitch ireland that may suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I rang up and asked to get put through to loyalty
    got 50e credit, probably should have tried harder, they offered me a nest as well
    I'm electricity only

• Registered Users Posts: 15 miromie

billbond4 wrote: »
    I rang up and asked to get put through to loyalty
    got 50e credit, probably should have tried harder, they offered me a nest as well
    I'm electricity only

Hi
    I decided to follow your advice and tried again to call them - mission failed . There was no one who can talk to me from loyalty department - I was told to wait for call back or go to different company. I am waiting two weeks so I can wait 2h. If they fail to call back then I will go elsewhere. Interesting fact that most of friends from work share my experience. I guess you had more luck or have nicer accent ;) Thanks for giving me hope ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DontBanMe

miromie wrote: »
    Hi
    I decided to follow your advice and tried again to call them - mission failed . There was no one who can talk to me from loyalty department - I was told to wait for call back or go to different company. I am waiting two weeks so I can wait 2h. If they fail to call back then I will go elsewhere. Interesting fact that most of friends from work share my experience. I guess you had more luck or have nicer accent ;) Thanks for giving me hope ;)

Hey,

I'm in the same boat here, what did you do in the end? I've been looking around switcher.ie and will probably move to SSE or something, like you have been looking for someone with the same issue to see what's worked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I switched last year from Electric Ireland to Energia and all my bills have been higher since, despite the fact that I've cut down on usage as much as possible. Energia only gave me a paltry €50 to switch. That's one company I wouldn't join if you're thinking of moving

• Advertisement

Switched today on bonkers.ie from Electric Ireland to SSE Aitricity - rates appear good of 15c day rate and 7.54 night rate. Was on 19c day rate and 9c night rate with electric ireland.

The estimated annual bills are bullsh*t though. €700 - electric ireland told me the same last year and it came to €1400 for 2 people in a 2 bed apartment, not high users. I did my own readings also.

Funnily enough though I've had no calls from bonkers.ie , airtricity or electric ireland today despite the switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Switched today on bonkers.ie from Electric Ireland to SSE Aitricity - rates appear good of 15c day rate and 7.54 night rate. Was on 19c day rate and 9c night rate with electric ireland.
    The estimated annual bills are bullsh*t though. €700 - electric ireland told me the same last year and it came to €1400 for 2 people in a 2 bed apartment, not high users. I did my own readings also.
    Funnily enough though I've had no calls from bonkers.ie , airtricity or electric ireland today despite the switch?
    You should check again, is it cheaper to pay higher unit rates but get e200 cashback?
    https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/product-details?p=54

Doubt it?

Much of a muchness, I did the calculations on getting these new cheaper rates and it works out a good discount similar enough.

Electric ireland didn't offer any resistance to me leaving. I rang them 6 times in the last 10 days I kid you not, trying to speak to someone in the loyalty/renewals department. Each time they were too busy and would promise they'd call back. Nothing.

SSE have 3 options - the one you listed, the 25% discounted rates one, or the 3rd where you get all the gadgets (which I've no clue are for).

zell12 wrote: »
    You should check again, is it cheaper to pay higher unit rates but get e200 cashback?
    https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/product-details?p=54

I honestly can't make head not tails out of all these different options, not dopey but they're all much as much, changed from electric Ireland a few years ago to bord Gais no difference

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

CBear1993 wrote: »
    rates appear good of 15c day rate and 7.54 night rate.
    I dont see those rates on their website

muffler wrote: »
    I dont see those rates on their website

It was on bonkers.ie offer

Ya I contacted Electric Ireland and said I was switching and was there anything they could as offers were cheaper elsewhere. They replied and said that someone from the Loyalty Dept would call me soon, 6 days and still waiting for that magical call...

I just went to SSE through bonkers. You don’t have to do anything to leave them. Already the customer service with SSE alone is worth it. Talking to irish people on the phone. And they will sort out the exiting nonsense with EI

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I honestly can't make head not tails out of all these different options, not dopey but they're all much as much, changed from electric Ireland a few years ago to bord Gais no difference
    You should change every year to save 000s of euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi all,

If anyone would like us to contact the Loyalty team directly on their behalf for a call-back, just send me a private message, confirming the Electric Ireland account number, the name, address, telephone number, and stating that you are the account-holder.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

AFAIK there is very little difference between the per unit prices from the different suppliers. Maybe also some small differences in the fixed daily charges.
    Savings are usually maximised by changing provider in order to avail of the signup offers and cash back etc.
    I wouldn't be bother spending time to stay with your existing company.
    You're going to be back there in two to three years again anyway.

Hi all,

If anyone would like us to contact the Loyalty team directly on their behalf for a call-back, just send me a private message, confirming the Electric Ireland account number, the name, address, telephone number, and stating that you are the account-holder.

Kind regards,
    Una
    PM sent

PM sent

No call

No call
    Hi corks finest,

Sorry about the delay - you will be telephoned shortly.

Kind regards,
    Una

Hi corks finest,

Sorry about the delay - you will be telephoned shortly.

Kind regards,
    Una
    Thanks Una, stayed on the lowest tariff- e100 back from the loyalty team,thank you.

Hi all,

Kind regards,
    Una

Thanks Una,e100 back ,12 months contract,lowest tarrrif.

Hi corks finest,

Thanks for posting, and for choosing to stay with Electric Ireland.

Kind regards,
    Una

I finally got a call back, but of course I missed the call!

DontBanMe wrote: »
    I finally got a call back, but of course I missed the call!

PM una with a time that suits,I reckon,I'm delighted with what I got,took 2 minutes

• Advertisement

Una was fantastic with getting the call arranged but I didn't get offered much of an incentive to stay, so I'll be jumping ship.

Onebigswitch have a good offer at the minute for Electricity and/or Gas.

Advertisement