Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

evil_seed wrote: »
    I have another one.

After speaking about childhood stuff with my friends over the weekend, the subject of the Ouija board came up.

Give it another go Click Here........................

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I tried it, that's hilarious!

(but it doesn't know where my cat is!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I woke up this morning and the 11th of July today’s date was stuck in my head, I was like am I forgetting a birthday, did something happen on this date, it was in my head that today means something so I was at a loss to think what the hell could it be. Seen the news a few minutes ago, Jack Charlton passed away today, I’m absolutely devastated. How weird that the 11th was so ingrained in my brain from the second I woke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I woke up this morning and the 11th of July today’s date was stuck in my head, I was like am I forgetting a birthday, did something happen on this date, it was in my head that today means something so I was at a loss to think what the hell could it be. Seen the news a few minutes ago, Jack Charlton passed away today, I’m absolutely devastated. How weird that the 11th was so ingrained in my brain from the second I woke up.

Did you know him?

Did you know him?

No but I love Jack as he made my childhood so happy with wonderful memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

You do know he died on the 10th of July?

You do know he died on the 10th of July?

I do now but I remembered later tonight it was my ex’s from about 20 years ago birthday on the 11th haha so not creepy at all in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

2020 (creepy and unnerving)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Das Reich wrote: »
    Few times last months happened that I was thinking about some musics from my childhood that I had absolutely forgotten, maybe didn't listen in the last 30 years, it just come to my mind during the day, and when opening youtube later the day it was there on the first recommended video. Didn't know the title or the name of artist. Happened quite few times.

So again. Was living back in 2006 in a house shared with some Lithuanians. At that time I used to rent dvds to learn English and watched a lot of movies. Then this Lithuanian guy give me a Russian movie with English subtitles. Didn't know the name, I can't read anything in Russian, totally forgot about that movie for maybe 14 years, till yesterday a scene come to my mind. This what I finded on youtube page just few minutes ago (a scene from this movie that I can't even read the name).

https://youtu.be/dJrxi1gXPug

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DD1518

Great thread with some very believable stories and recollections.

It's scary the amount of people who were approached by cars on the road as children which reminds me of a story my mother and her best friend always tell they were around 10 and walking down an old country lane to a little river that they'd wade around in most evenings in the summer a strange car pulled up towards them and a man got out and started asking questions they didn't think much because of the collar he was wearing so they presumed he was a priest and was no harm anyway they answered him and he talked about the clothes they were wearing and who bought them the dresses and stuff like that which is something a man of that age doesn't ask a child he then asked could he feel the quality of the dresses and asked them to do a big twirl around as fast as they could they done it a few times and he kept asking to keep going while he sat in his car so he could watch them (it's pretty obvious what he was doing) so after that they made an excuse that they had to go home so he offered them a lift Mam said no but her friend said come on its quicker anyway as they approached the car he asked Mam who he could tell was cautious of him did she know what kind of car he had and did she take the registration of cars for the life of her she doesn't know why but she did take his and proceeded to tell him this the minute he heard she was right he sped off. Years later she seen reports in the paper about a disgraced priest Brendan Smith being his name and instantly remembered his face from that day all those years ago. Her friend always said only for Mam knowing his reg they'd never have been seen again they swear by it.

Another such incident happened my granny back in the 40s they lived on a quiet road one that you wouldn't see much traffic on at the time but one morning real early whilst walking to a neighbour's house a big car pulled up beside her with a heavy set man shouting abuse at her and saying get into the car ya little bitch she ran as fast as anything into a field where lucky enough her brother was thinning turnips once the man spotted him he ran back to his car. When she turned 12 she was sent to mind kids in a town about 30miles away but anyway one day she was in the co op and who should she spot only the same man and car she told the family she was living with and they approached him and found out he was a big rep driving all around the country selling stuff so can only imagine what he could have been doing I'm sure it wasn't the first time he tried to grab a young one.

Another scary incident was when my friend and I decided to do a ouija board in his house one night it genuinely spelt out things which left both of us visibly upset we were only around 14 at the time anyway after that I didn't want to take part so he got his younger sister to come in and do it and it spelt out the word hang which made us all jump and run out of the room on another occasion a glass went flying off the table and in the pitch black I seen a skeleton like face exactly where my friend was sitting it's like it entered him. We didn't think too much about it after a few months things started to change for him he became very paranoid and extremely schizophrenic totally out of the blue for a lad who was always so relaxed his mother swears it was caused by the ouija board. I often thought about it over the years and wondered was he spelling stuff out himself or something but it felt real. The years have passed by and we went our own ways in life didn't really keep in touch until sadly I got a phone call one evening to say his younger sister had been found dead which really upset me anyway when I asked what happened it turns out she was found hanging from a tree I instantly thought back to the night it spelt hang and I've had seriously scary nightmares since I was never comfortable with involving her in the game and have wondered did all of this happen because of that night all of this is genuinely true perhaps it's a coincidence but it's very unnerving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Now people are mentioning ouija boards, I remember another story my mums friend told us one night. Back when she was young, she and a group of her friends all went to a local abandoned building as one of the girls got access to a ouija board and wanted to try it for a laugh. They waited until it was dark to use it and after asking a few questions, they moved away from the board and were thinking of other things they could ask. All of a sudden the glass flew off the board by itself (no-one was touching it or even near it at the time) and it smashed against the wall. One of the girls then without warning just literally stood up, ran and jumped out of the closest window and fell to her death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Those ouija boards are bad news, and you know it always seemed to be young girls that were drawn to them more.
    When I was a chisler me and the lads put our lives at risk several times with stupid stunts and dares but we would never have done a ouija board for love or money.

Whenever we heard of people doing it it was about eight times out of ten a group of girls. Usually trying to find out info about their future husband :p

Something else I remembered about them, you should never walk away from a ouija board session without signing off first: it sort of closes the door like. If you don't you are giving bad things permission to attach themselves to you.
    Some of those stories I heard involved girls getting possessed after messing around with that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

One here that I'm sure has a scientific explanation as a freak weather phenomenon, but unnerved me all the same! Myself and my friend were around 11 or 12 in Wexford on a beach and we were exploring the side of the beach we didn't normally go. It was a lovely summer day, calm, sunny, blue skies. All of a sudden this almighty wind gusted out of nowhere - stronger than I've ever experienced, it nearly knocked us off our feet. We even ducked down behind a rock in fright hanging onto each other. And then like that - it was gone, back to a perfectly calm day. We ran back home but no one seemed to have experienced the same thing (I got the impression our parents didn't really believe us or thought we were exaggerating). We did mention it to one of our older neighbours, who just nodded and said "ah, that'd be the fairy wind".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

melmoth77 wrote: »
    One here that I'm sure has a scientific explanation as a freak weather phenomenon, but unnerved me all the same! Myself and my friend were around 11 or 12 in Wexford on a beach and we were exploring the side of the beach we didn't normally go. It was a lovely summer day, calm, sunny, blue skies. All of a sudden this almighty wind gusted out of nowhere - stronger than I've ever experienced, it nearly knocked us off our feet. We even ducked down behind a rock in fright hanging onto each other. And then like that - it was gone, back to a perfectly calm day. We ran back home but no one seemed to have experienced the same thing (I got the impression our parents didn't really believe us or thought we were exaggerating). We did mention it to one of our older neighbours, who just nodded and said "ah, that'd be the fairy wind".

We call that kind of strong, gusty wind which comes out of nowhere a 'chinook' (I'm in the NW) Google tells me it's an American term from the Rocky mountains but it's what my Grandfather always called a force of wind from nowhere on a calm day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Growing up there was all sorts of fcuked up stories going around about the Ouija Board in my area and always associated with any suicides. So we were too ****less to try it.

Two of us did try once after shool one day just on a sheet of paper and a coin. Actually it was in the classroom.

Defo felt an "energy" at the end of my finger and it did move. Apparently it started telling us about a young child about 2/3. We just stopped it- we were there blaming each other for moving it.

I am quite sure there is a perfectly rationale/scientific explanation for the "energy" sensation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I am quite sure there is a perfectly rationale/scientific explanation for the "energy" sensation.

There is, it's called the Ideomotor Response. It's the well known cause of 'Ouija Board' phenomenon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenomenon

The fairy wind, that is a blast from the past; it is the fairies moving from one place to another. I think you had to kneel down or go on one knee before it hit you or you could be in trouble, it was showing respect to the other crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

When I was 7 I woke up one morning and the first random thought that entered my head was something along the lines of "how would Mum react if Nanna died?".

Got up, headed in to school, and at 11, I was called out of the class by my Mum to be told my grandmother had died during the night (she only found out herself after she dropped us to school). I know it was pure coincidence, but I can see how people can feel like they had a premonition when it does happen.

It turns out that "hysterically" was the answer to my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have found myself in recent years all of sudden thinking about a random celebrity or fixating on an artist that I would generally know nothing about.

Said artist/celebrity dies within a few weeks. Happens quite a lot.

Recent one was Jack Charlton. For some reason just started thinking about him for some reason since mid May. Now I know he was 85 and was in poor health (I didnt know that) and with the 30 year since Italia 1990 and all. I just put it down to pure coincidence.

The first time was Princes Diana. I was literally sititng in front of the TV watching Sky News with my mother about 2 weeks before she died and: "She will be dead soon enough." It just felt this massive tension building and about to be released. Even the mother mentioned it a few days after she died.

Again I am just putting it down to pure conincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

Very similar experience here. Was on holidays abroad and dreamt that my boyfriends friends father died. I had never met the man. Told my boyfriend at breakfast and when we got back up to our room he had a text to say his friends father had died. Can't explain it, I wasn't even aware if the man was ill or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

This is one that happened to someone I know (Claire).

Claire was enjoying a walk along a country road with her two children when she got an odd sensation as if she was being watched or similar. She thought nothing of it, shrugged it off and carried on on her walk.

A friend of hers drove past. She waved, her friend waved and both carried on their ways.

A few days later Claire met her friend, and her friend asked who was the man that had been walking with her and the two children.

She said there'd been no-one. It was just her and the kiddies but her friend was adamant that when she passed by there had been a man in a long blue coat walking alongside.

A few days later, when recounting the odd story to another friend, Claire was told that she wasn't the first person this had happened to in that area. A garda had been shot on the particular stretch of road many years previous and was said to be guarding it still and had been seen on occasion by a number of other walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

That is so strange. This reminds me of a time I visited a funfair in West Cork with two friends. The funfair was always held in this car park right beside the harbour. We went and like that, calm evening and weather was fine. Out of nowhere, this freak wind happened and all the people operating the rides began closing them up as it was just too dangerous. It was also lashing rain. My friends ran to get shelter under a ride and I went to run out of the funfair and a piece of a ride flew off (metal part) and ended up cutting me. I obviously fell and blacked out for a few seconds. I looked up to see someone on the bungee ride and the guy got hurt as they couldn't get him down in time.
    Noone believed us at the time as it seemed so far fetched, that is until, I met my fiancee and he starts telling me a story about how his good friend once fell from a bungee ride during this freak wind at the local funfair. We worked out dates and it turned out to be the exact night I was on about and his friend was the guy I saw on the bungee ride.
    Noone else in the town had even noticed any wind. Have never been able to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

Lived beside a forest in rural Wicklow for years. Used to walk the dogs and the kids there and knew it like the back of my hand. We could walk to it from home. There was only one entrance always closed to cars and the like. When people visited they would park at this gate. The kids and I were walking our dog a Rottweiler and he was skittish which wasn't unusual. Had to keep him leashed other wise he would tear around chasing sheep or hare and it would take hours to get him back. As we approached a fork in the trail the dog stopped dead in his tracks and wouldn't budge. Kid's were getting tired so rather than go on I turned back. At that moment a woman dressed in what can only be described as full business attire high heels the lot strolled across the path in front of us heading deeper into the wood. It struck me as odd as fuk but I wasn't in a position to follow her or otherwise. When we got back to the gate there was no car which I assumed there would be given how she was dressed. Never found out who it was or why they would be dressed to the nines in a forest in winter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Lived beside a forest in rural Wicklow for years. Used to walk the dogs and the kids there and knew it like the back of my hand. We could walk to it from home. There was only one entrance always closed to cars and the like. When people visited they would park at this gate. The kids and I were walking our dog a Rottweiler and he was skittish which wasn't unusual. Had to keep him leashed other wise he would tear around chasing sheep or hare and it would take hours to get him back. As we approached a fork in the trail the dog stopped dead in his tracks and wouldn't budge. Kid's were getting tired so rather than go on I turned back. At that moment a woman dressed in what can only be described as full business attire high heels the lot strolled across the path in front of us heading deeper into the wood. It struck me as odd as fuk but I wasn't in a position to follow her or otherwise. When we got back to the gate there was no car which I assumed there would be given how she was dressed. Never found out who it was or why they would be dressed to the nines in a forest in winter.

Did she see you ? any kind of salute or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

XLR 8 wrote: »

I would assume she was meeting someone for a bit of hanky panky. Gay fellas meet in woodland quite often for a bit of hows your father. I assume lesbians and/or straight people do too.

timthumbni wrote: »
    I would assume she was meeting someone for a bit of hanky panky. Gay fellas meet in woodland quite often for a bit of hows your father. I assume lesbians and/or straight people do too.

Women in fancy business suits go to a hotel to get jiggy.
    If you invited a woman like that to traipse through the woods in Winter in her high heels for a knee trembler she would probably tell you to shove it up your arse.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How long ago was it? It wasn't one of the women who went missing was she? What did she look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Women in fancy business suits go to a hotel to get jiggy.
    If you invited a woman like that to traipse through the woods in Winter in her high heels for a knee trembler she would probably tell you to shove it up your arse.

hmmmmmmmm kinky ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Didn’t happen to me, but happened to my Dad. When he was 19 (late 50s) he got a job in the Pathology department of the College Of Surgeons. First day, the lads in the department brought him in a tour of the place. They ended up in the cellar, where there was a furnace that heated the building. They had the lights off, so there was just the glow of the furnace flames lighting the place. They sat down on some wooden boxes, and the lads told him a few stories about work and stuff.

After a while, one of them pointed at the box my Dad was sitting on and said “open it”. He stood up and lifted the lid. In the flickering glow of the flames, what he saw was the body of a young child floating face up in a tank of formaldehyde.

Although totally shocked, he managed to keep it together enough that when the lads stopped laughing, they slapped him on the back and said he’d do alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

New Home wrote: »
    How long ago was it? It wasn't one of the women who went missing was she? What did she look like?

Must be 20 years ago. If she was meeting someone they also must have walked to this area. I never heard a report of anyone matching her description being reported missing. She was an attractive woman in her thirties I would guess. She didn't appear to be flustered in any way. She seemed normal just out of place.

Advertisement