Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting costs vs others in team staying at home

• 10-07-2020 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I work in a small dept in a large company. My team consists of 11 full timers and a few contractors.

When Covid arrived we were all told to work from home from March, which was fine. I was told to come back early June full time which I did without a problem. Three other full timers are working with me in the office full time, coming into the office every day. These three have company cars/vans and fuel cards, so their commuting costs are covered. There are others in the greater team that are full time employees that only come in maybe once a week or once every two weeks, some have not come in at all since March. They all have private vehicles like myself.

My issue is, I'm the only full time employee with a private car that commutes in every day. Due to my position I'm required to be in the office every day. I have never been offered a company vehicle as its not really needed. I pay between €200 and €250 on fuel every month since coming back in June. Under normal circumstances our entire team would commute into work every day and I would not have a problem with my commuting costs as its just part of going to work, never had an issue as we were all on the same level playing ground.

But now, I feel like I'm taking a pay cut by coming into work, when the others in my team that are working from home effectively are getting a pay rise by not commuting.

Would I be an idiot to say something to my manager? Would it seem petty? I am just commuting to work, its expected of me, but the fact that I'm the ONLY full timer paying commuting costs, I AM down €200/€250 in comparison to others in the team that are working from home. It seems unfair.

I dont want to rock the boat but again I cant shake this feeling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Under normal circumstances our entire team would commute into work every day and I would not have a problem with my commuting costs as its just part of going to work, never had an issue as we were all on the same level playing ground.

Read this sentence. This is all that’s relevant to your case and all your boss will hear.

You are not taking a pay cut. You are getting the salary you agreed when you took the job. Thats all you need to know. Stop concerning yourself with others as it’s none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You want a bonus for attending work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Just focus on your own business and don't worry about what others around you are doing.

You’d have some cheek to expect to be compensated in some way for travelling the same way to the same job for the same salary as before COVID-19 emerged.

It would be a poor decision to take that argument to a manager. Now is not the time to be holding out your hand looking for more for doing the same. Your sense of entitlement is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

But now, I feel like I'm taking a pay cut by coming into work, when the others in my team that are working from home effectively are getting a pay rise by not commuting.

But your circumstances have not changed at all. Financially you are in exactly the same position as you were before the lockdown. I can't really see any employer agreeing to give you a pay increase to do what you signed up to do... you'd need to be able to show that something has changed for you before you'd have a chance I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Normally I would have laughed at your suggestion but you do have a valid point. Are the other three able to use the company vehicles for work at the moment or are they only using them to commute?

Maybe if there was a discussion on the pros and cons of working from home you could mention that somebody with a similar commute to you had saved a thousand euro in commuting costs so far. See if he bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭thefa

As per the last poster, are the three using company cars/vans as part of their job or exclusively using them for commuting?

I think the fact that it’s a large company means you would be on a hiding to nothing which probably won’t stand to you. They are hardly going to make an exception for you or start paying mileage to employees attending the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I know of someone in a somewhat similar position, they've had to come in to work but the other two members of their team don't have to come in. All of them were working from home during lockdown.

The reason given for this is that the other two people have kids and are being allowed to continue to work at home to facilitate childcare responsibilities.

I thought this wouldn't be allowed as it's treating them less favourably to their team members based on their family status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

In my job the higher paid staff are working from home while the admin staff have to go into the office a few days a week to check the post, scan, file, lodge, print. .

If those tasks didn't exist neither would their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

You need to come at it from a different angle. You should be asking why the others have company vehicles and you do not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Get the taxsaver ticket and use public transport plus your feet. Or avail of the bike-to-work scheme and get a bike to cycle in.

Then you can really save on those fuel costs if you want to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

You need to come at it from a different angle. You should be asking why the others have company vehicles and you do not.

What is the relevance of that to the OP? They are being paid as per their agreed contract - what happens to other people is not their business. If other people were being given a pay cut would they feel obliged to take one too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

C3PO wrote:
    What is the relevance of that to the OP? They are being paid as per their agreed contract - what happens to other people is not their business. If other people were being given a pay cut would they feel obliged to take one too?

In fairness, it shows what the company is willing to pay for the role.

If you knew your colleagues were getting paid 10k more for the same role, it gives you an idea of what could be achieved in salary negotiations

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

dubrov wrote: »
    In fairness, it shows what the company is willing to pay for the role.

If you knew your colleagues were getting paid 10k more for the same role, it gives you an idea of what could be achieved in salary negotiations

The company has not changed it in terms of payroll, so it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Op.

Ignore the faux outrage posters here.

Lots of companies are giving bonuses and free perks to employees who are attending the workplace.
    Ask your manager.
    Thats a better way to phrase it.

Also try to negotiate a % of Work from home time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Also the people with company cars and fuel cards may not be paying for diesel but guarantee they are paying through the nose in BIK

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Op.

Ignore the faux outrage posters here.

Lots of companies are giving bonuses and free perks to employees who are attending the workplace.
    Ask your manager.
    Thats a better way to phrase it.

Also try to negotiate a % of Work from home time.

Which companies?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Which companies?

Mine for one.

2k bonus for people who came on site.
    Free canteen for duration of pandemic.
    50% WFH.

Mine for one.

2k bonus for people who came on site.
    Free canteen for duration of pandemic.
    50% WFH.

That’s one.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

If you worked from home during the crisis but are being forced to go back into the office I think you would have a case for some form of travel and subsistence or for your own company vehicle.

• Advertisement

That’s one.

So whats your point? Or are you just having a go?

How about trying to be constructive?

So whats your point? Or are you just having a go?

How about trying to be constructive?

How are the people being made to wfh not pissed off that you are getting a 2k pay rise and perks?

I’m sorry, it just seems unrealistic to expect a bonus for coming to work as usual, and you did say “lots” of companies to make your point, are there lots of companies giving bonuses for turning up for work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

That’s one.

There are loads of companies offering benefits and small bonuses. I've heard plenty from Fruit boxes to more generous WFH going forward after the pandemic.

If you don't believe this, maybe start your own thread or apply for a new job and see for yourself..

@OP - This pandemic affects every company and every individual role differently. You can ask for a change and see how it goes, but I suspect there may not be much you can do unless you go in with a strong argument and know what you want from it (is it essential you are in office - would more time WFH take away the feeling of injustice, for example?).

How are the people being made to wfh not pissed off that you are getting a 2k pay rise and gifts?

I’m sorry, it just seems unrealistic to expect a bonus for coming to work as usual, and you did say “lots” of companies to make your point, are there lots of companies giving bonuses for turning up for work?

A bonus isn't a raise.

But your earlier logic dictates that what I get isn't anyone else's business. So why would they be passed off.

Hoisted by your own petard my friend. Hahaha

A bonus isn't a raise.

But your earlier logic dictates that what I get isn't anyone else's business. So why would they be passed off.

Hoisted by your own petard my friend. Hahaha

Giving an employee a 2k pay rise and not others who the employer is preventing from attending the office isn’t treating all employees fairly. On the other hand, what is negotiated in your contract of employment, like attending for work and remuneration is indeed your business, hence why everyone is not paid the same for the same job.

If your company gave a wage increase to all sales people who worked outside the office, and not all staff who work in the office, you would have a problem with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

larva wrote: »
    If you worked from home during the crisis but are being forced to go back into the office I think you would have a case for some form of travel and subsistence or for your own company vehicle.

OP you're entitled to nothing and highly likely to come across as "Entitled" if you go demanding perks for going to work.

A company vehicle would have full whack BIK if only used to commute. You could regret even getting it.

Nobody's being forced to do anything. The OP is back to their agreed work conditions

kenmm wrote: »
    There are loads of companies offering benefits and small bonuses. I've heard plenty from Fruit boxes to more generous WFH going forward after the pandemic.

If you don't believe this, maybe start your own thread or apply for a new job and see for yourself..

I don’t think the op is asking for a fruit basket, the op is asking to be remunerated for travelling to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I don’t think the op is asking for a fruit basket, the op is asking to be remunerated for travelling to work.

They didn't ask for pedantry and people to pick apart every little thing - but they got it anyway.

I gave some constructive advice to the OP - if you want a moan or argument - go to your own thread - don't start on me I can't be ars3d and won't reply further to your BS.

I’d at least be asking can it be put on rotation with some of the stay homers made to come in a week at a time. Don’t let them get too lazy on it because them sitting at home will also be adding to your workload.

• Advertisement

gar wrote: »
    Also the people with company cars and fuel cards may not be paying for diesel but guarantee they are paying through the nose in BIK

Depends what the vehicle is. Some, like commercials, are a pittance.

Advertisement