Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommended construction companies for progression?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Bagels4me wrote: »
    I work for a main contractor in the uk, the QS / design team are out the door at 4.30 / 5pm, they don't look to stressed either, busy yes.
    Tbh qs looks like a handy job, but reading some of the stories in here maybe not!
    Has anybody here worked for contractors in the uk and ireland?
    This Craic of working big hours on salary is nonsense, fair enough if your working on something urgent but not all the time

The English run their construction industry far better, a thing a lot of irish people will never admit. Yes it’s true that “the Irish build London” bla bla bla all that historic crap. That’s Cos us greedy bast*rds came in and did it cheaper than anyone else.
    Irish contractors ruin the market in England. I’ve been over before in the midlands and you hate to see them coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Bagels4me wrote: »
    I work for a main contractor in the uk, the QS / design team are out the door at 4.30 / 5pm, they don't look to stressed either, busy yes.
    Tbh qs looks like a handy job, but reading some of the stories in here maybe not!
    Has anybody here worked for contractors in the uk and ireland?
    This Craic of working big hours on salary is nonsense, fair enough if your working on something urgent but not all the time

I worked in London. Mental hours there too...

I tried to explain something to a friend of mine yesterday when he asked "hows work".

My answer was as follows: "Imagine standing at the door of a building you are trying to protect and there is fire coming in the door and the windows from outside. I am the guy standing there with a small fire extinguisher running between the doors and the windows trying to keep the flames back"

Being a QS is akin to running around with a giant bullseye on your back and everyone else has darts and its your job to run around and not get hit in the bullseye.

Here’s the attitude towards the title of this thread for you -

Mentioned to a few of the directors / high up lads in my construction firm yesterday that I was going to do a postgrad / further study through springboard to get out of construction. It was just an open conversation environment in the kitchen.

I’d say 3 of them are on salaries of about €150K, in their late 40s/early 50s , all various directors, and they immediately laughed it off. Their comments were - “sure what would you do that for? No one ever asks anything about college courses”
    “Jeezzz I wouldn’t recommend going back near college, sure it’s only a certificate, it’s as good as the piece of paper it’s written on”
    “People look for experience not letters before your name, upto you if you want to put yourself through hell in the evenings outside of work for a year”
    “All those colleges want is money, with a fake promise of a job at the end which they offer no support in getting, if it was that good they’d get you one when you sign up”

They know I don’t enjoy QS’ and just always refer to “sure none of us like what we’re at, you just keep at it and once you get high enough you do very little anyway, it’s the money lad!!”

I couldn’t believe it!! Maybe just the older generation’s attitude? Bear in mind I’m nearly 95% sure that all of them would have done some form of level 8 degree at some point 25+ years ago.....

Mental!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Here’s the attitude towards the title of this thread for you -

Mentioned to a few of the directors / high up lads in my construction firm yesterday that I was going to do a postgrad / further study through springboard to get out of construction. It was just an open conversation environment in the kitchen.

I’d say 3 of them are on salaries of about €150K, in their late 40s/early 50s , all various directors, and they immediately laughed it off. Their comments were - “sure what would you do that for? No one ever asks anything about college courses”
    “Jeezzz I wouldn’t recommend going back near college, sure it’s only a certificate, it’s as good as the piece of paper it’s written on”
    “People look for experience not letters before your name, upto you if you want to put yourself through hell in the evenings outside of work for a year”
    “All those colleges want is money, with a fake promise of a job at the end which they offer no support in getting, if it was that good they’d get you one when you sign up”

They know I don’t enjoy QS’ and just always refer to “sure none of us like what we’re at, you just keep at it and once you get high enough you do very little anyway, it’s the money lad!!”

I couldn’t believe it!! Maybe just the older generation’s attitude? Bear in mind I’m nearly 95% sure that all of them would have done some form of level 8 degree at some point 25+ years ago.....

Mental!!!

If it’s any consolation - the money in QS seems a fair bit better than civil engineering!

onrail wrote: »
    If it’s any consolation - the money in QS seems a fair bit better than civil engineering!

Maybe in some cases but the poster above my last described it perfectly, not worth it at all. Sometimes on a project as a QS it appears that everyone including your own team is against you.

• Advertisement

Anyone competed -

L9 Postgraduate Certificate in BIM and Lean Construction Management through IT Sligo (1 year)
    https://www.itsligo.ie/courses/certificate-bim-lean-construction-management-online/

OR

L9 Postgraduate Certificate in BIM Technologies through TU Dublin (1 year)
    https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8270

??

On a side note I see in January TU Dublin are starting these 2 construction courses - I'd rather start one now in September rather than wait to January 2021, but the first one in particular looks interesting:

Postgraduate Certificate in Digital Construction Analytics / Engineering Analytics
    https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8273

BSc (Hons) in BIM (Digital Construction)
    https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8246

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Anyone competed -

L9 Postgraduate Certificate in BIM and Lean Construction Management through IT Sligo (1 year)
    https://www.itsligo.ie/courses/certificate-bim-lean-construction-management-online/

OR

L9 Postgraduate Certificate in BIM Technologies through TU Dublin (1 year)
    https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8270

??

On a side note I see in January TU Dublin are starting these 2 construction courses - I'd rather start one now in September rather than wait to January 2021, but the first one in particular looks interesting:

Postgraduate Certificate in Digital Construction Analytics / Engineering Analytics
    https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8273

BSc (Hons) in BIM (Digital Construction)
    https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8246

It's probably difficult to get accepted into these courses if in full time employment? And the chance of being offered a place is probably very slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Would you not become a barrister and then get into arbitration.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Would you not become a barrister and then get into arbitration.

I am seriously considering this..

Would that not take at least 5-6 years? As in going back and doing the undergrad course and then all the exams that follow?

• Advertisement

Got a random call off of LinkedIn from Linesight internal recruiter- any reviews on them?

They get a fair bit of slagging from other consultancies and contractors in Dublin but I have to say I haven't heard that many bad reports.
    I've a friend with them as a cost manager (QS) in Sydney and he loves it. Same goes for a planner here in Dublin. They've jobs all over the globe.

I said I'm not really looking at the minute to be honest but the money they were offering over the phone was €10-15K more, not sure how they can just throw that at you over the phone without even asking about your background??

All these promises of "data centres and life science projects won't be going anywhere", to be fair they haven't done any job cuts from what I hear, so maybe there is some truth in it.

In Dublin here it's a few data centres for the usual big american clients, abroad you can go anywhere. Mind you it wasn't the attractive options on their website of San Francisco etc, it was Malmo in Sweden at a mental high salary, no thanks. Money isn't everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Got a random call off of LinkedIn from Linesight internal recruiter- any reviews on them?

They get a fair bit of slagging from other consultancies and contractors in Dublin but I have to say I haven't heard that many bad reports.
    I've a friend with them as a cost manager (QS) in Sydney and he loves it. Same goes for a planner here in Dublin. They've jobs all over the globe.

I said I'm not really looking at the minute to be honest but the money they were offering over the phone was €10-15K more, not sure how they can just throw that at you over the phone without even asking about your background??

All these promises of "data centres and life science projects won't be going anywhere", to be fair they haven't done any job cuts from what I hear, so maybe there is some truth in it.

In Dublin here it's a few data centres for the usual big american clients, abroad you can go anywhere. Mind you it wasn't the attractive options on their website of San Francisco etc, it was Malmo in Sweden at a mental high salary, no thanks. Money isn't everything!

Sweden doesnt look a bad spot tbh

Depends what part I’d imagine ? This was for malmo outside Stockholm. I think it would be fairly grim in the winter or for half of the year basically.

Had a few friends done data centres in the north and said it was dark for most of the day and wasn’t great for the ole SAD in winter. Plus the Swedes weren’t too open to integration. But that’s only their experience

A friend of mine is a director with them. Great company by all accounts.

Most of this thread was bad reports from people on main contractor side or subcontractor, or trades.

Haven’t heard too many from client side or consultancy - the few that did seemed reasonably happy in consultancy? The wages for consultancy roles in construction as cost manager / PM are as good as contractor nowadays to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭onrail

Most of this thread was bad reports from people on main contractor side or subcontractor, or trades.

Haven’t heard too many from client side or consultancy - the few that did seemed reasonably happy in consultancy? The wages for consultancy roles in construction as cost manager / PM are as good as contractor nowadays to be honest

Civil engineer in a Multinational consultancy. Pay is terrible, but mainly because I’m based on Northern Ireland.
    When compared to other companies in the same game, conditions are probably similar if not slightly better - it’s the industry that wrecks my head more so than my employer

Would you not get work down the country surely? Yeah that’s true, could work for the best firm with all the perks but at the end of the day you’re still in construction, and have to deal with with the 90% of w*nkers it’s made up of

Could any of the experienced heads on here advise what should I be trying to negotiate in to the offer of employment on top of salary? I am considering moving consultancy side having been contractor, had a short stint in it before and liked it

I am happy with the salary. It is the perks and benefits I am wondering what is best to try squeeze in or I should be asking for.

I am HOPING the hours stated (8-5) will be all that is required this time. I have a friend with them abroad, and one in Dublin who say they are decent enough for regular hours, odd late night.

last few companies I’ve been in it’s actually been frowned upon if you leave on time, which I detested.

I’m also self employed in my current role(contracted in so it’s great for tax, will be hard to go back to PAYE) , didn’t even think it was worth mentioning to them as they’re a company with offices around the world, probably 500+ staff. So PAYE is standard as I’ve a few friends works with them,..

Anyway - I asked the benefits today of the HR manager.

- 21 days leave, no mention of in lieu/buying holidays. I’d imagine if you need additional you’ll have to request as unpaid.

-Pension contributions, If you pay 4%, they pay 5%... and so on
    -10% contribution towards laya or vhi (Prob won’t bother to be honest)
    - No mention of travel expenses. Although I will be working remotely until Xmas at least and then only a 20-25 min drive away each way to site where I’ll be based at clients office. I will pass through tolls on M50.
    And on days I have to go to head office in city which could be a lot for the first while to get up to speed,then 2-3 a week, I’ll be using luas/bus/train.

Nothing else really, no EAP.
    Will get a laptop and phone . Although I don’t want the phone as I’ll just use my current number, I hate the second phone craic with work .

In my current job I’ve been using a standing desk for the last year and it’s been life changing, I have one at home also.. But I don’t want to come across as an absolute c#nt asking for something like that in office, which will prob make me stand out like a sore thumb, couldn’t see them doing it, even though they’re relatively low cost to a firm the size of them. Was thinking if I don’t ask I won’t get, and now is the time to...

Anything else? I’m well aware that other companies have a whole host of benefits which would make me insanely jealous. The salary is decent though

My notice period is 4 weeks which brings me up to end of august / start September. I have a holiday with my partner sept 10th for 10 days.Should I request to defer starting to after 20th sept or could this put employment Offer in jeopardy?

Could any of the experienced heads on here advise what should I be trying to negotiate in to the offer of employment on top of salary? I am considering moving consultancy side having been contractor, had a short stint in it before and liked it

I am happy with the salary. It is the perks and benefits I am wondering what is best to try squeeze in or I should be asking for.

I am HOPING the hours stated (8-5) will be all that is required this time. I have a friend with them abroad, and one in Dublin who say they are decent enough for regular hours, odd late night.

last few companies I’ve been in it’s actually been frowned upon if you leave on time, which I detested.

I’m also self employed in my current role(contracted in so it’s great for tax, will be hard to go back to PAYE) , didn’t even think it was worth mentioning to them as they’re a company with offices around the world, probably 500+ staff. So PAYE is standard as I’ve a few friends works with them,..

Anyway - I asked the benefits today of the HR manager.

- 21 days leave, no mention of in lieu/buying holidays. I’d imagine if you need additional you’ll have to request as unpaid.

-Pension contributions, If you pay 4%, they pay 5%... and so on
    -10% contribution towards laya or vhi (Prob won’t bother to be honest)
    - No mention of travel expenses. Although I will be working remotely until Xmas at least and then only a 20-25 min drive away each way to site where I’ll be based at clients office. I will pass through tolls on M50.
    And on days I have to go to head office in city which could be a lot for the first while to get up to speed,then 2-3 a week, I’ll be using luas/bus/train.

Nothing else really, no EAP.
    Will get a laptop and phone . Although I don’t want the phone as I’ll just use my current number, I hate the second phone craic with work .

In my current job I’ve been using a standing desk for the last year and it’s been life changing, I have one at home also.. But I don’t want to come across as an absolute c#nt asking for something like that in office, which will prob make me stand out like a sore thumb, couldn’t see them doing it, even though they’re relatively low cost to a firm the size of them. Was thinking if I don’t ask I won’t get, and now is the time to...

Anything else? I’m well aware that other companies have a whole host of benefits which would make me insanely jealous. The salary is decent though

My notice period is 4 weeks which brings me up to end of august / start September. I have a holiday with my partner sept 10th for 10 days.Should I request to defer starting to after 20th sept or could this put employment Offer in jeopardy?

Any bonus scheme?. Sounds good other than that. I have always tried negotiate a fuel card or van and fuel card into my contracts.

Would doubt they do company cars to be honest but maybe worth mentioning mileage or tolls anyway!

• Advertisement

Would doubt they do company cars to be honest but maybe worth mentioning mileage or tolls anyway!

If there is a chance of a vehicle try get a van as theres no bik

Yeah good shout.

Are companies in any way obligated to do 6 month / yearly reviews and salary increases? Or is it all performance based

Advertisement