Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JobPath & Back To Education Allowance

• 04-07-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been on JSA for just over a year now and I'm planning to start a 3rd level course in September as a mature student after working as a web developer for over 5 years prior to losing my job last year. I've already received a provisional offer from DCU for their computer applications degree so that's what I expect to take and I was planning on applying for BTEA when I am enrolled.

I got a letter today to say I've been selected for JobPath and have a phone interview scheduled. Now the issue I have is if I am on JobPath I've been told I will be taken off the live register and won't be eligible for BTEA in September, is this true? And if so what should I do?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Didn't realize how deserted boards.ie has become, used to get replies within minutes not too long ago.. I'll try reddit though thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

Not certain, but I think you're ok to just begin your application for BTEA regardless. And If you haven't even had that first phonecall with them yet, then might be an idea to begin the BTEA process now by sending an email to your local INTREO office ...that way you can let the jobpath crowd know from the start that you've already got other plans

don't blame you for being cautious , but I'm not sure there's even any issue there. Do get some more opinions though!

Best luck with it all

Not certain, but I think you're ok to just begin your application for BTEA regardless. And If you haven't even had that first phonecall with them yet, then might be an idea to begin the BTEA process now by sending an email to your local INTREO office ...that way you can let the jobpath crowd know from the start that you've already got other plans

don't blame you for being cautious , but I'm not sure there's even any issue there. Do get some more opinions though!

Best luck with it all

Thank you very much for the advice I really appreciate it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I got the BTEA and if I can remember correctly I had the process started before I started college. have you been in college before?

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I got the BTEA and if I can remember correctly I had the process started before I started college. have you been in college before?

Yeah I was on a business degree for 3 months back in 2012 after I finished my leaving cert, wasn't able to apply for BTEA back then though because you have to be on a qualifying payment for over a year. I tried to support myself working in a smoothie bar but it just wasn't enough and I was exhausted so I had to leave college.

I looked it up and all I need to apply for BTEA is my official offer, which I'll be receiving on the 18th of July, and I did my phone interview for JobPath today and she said that it won't affect my eligibility for BTEA so that's that sorted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yeah I was on a business degree for 3 months back in 2012 after I finished my leaving cert, wasn't able to apply for BTEA back then though because you have to be on a qualifying payment for over a year. I tried to support myself working in a smoothie bar but it just wasn't enough and I was exhausted so I had to leave college.

I looked it up and all I need to apply for BTEA is my official offer, which I'll be receiving on the 18th of July, and I did my phone interview for JobPath today and she said that it won't affect my eligibility for BTEA so that's that sorted :)

Fair play, its a great scheme, I was on it for 4 years, then I did a post grad and was on springboard for another 2 years(basically the same thing as BTEA), it was great because I didn't need to work throughout college so had loads of time for assignments and study. They also used to give us 500 euro a year for books etc I think that might be gone now though?

I got my fees paid for most years, not sure was that from BTEA or the other grant. Then I got 2,000 maintenance grant in 4th year I think.

I wouldnt mind being you, college life is great, are you from Dublin? if so you might nearly have a better time if you went to sligo, athlone carlow etc Im from the country but have been in college in AIT and DIT.
    I probably had the best time in AIT, them kind of colleges are great and rag week is more of a thing. I was 24 starting in AIT and had as good a social life after any of the younger ones there. Met a great bunch of friends who im still friends with now.

make sure you get the most out of it social life wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

As long as you are on Jobseekers at the time your course starts, it shouldn't be a problem, although all BTEA applications are subject to caseworker approval, so if they feel that it is not the most appropriate progression path, it could be refused.

Obviously, if you find a job before your course starts, you will not be eligible. And of course, while on JObseekers/Jobspath, you will have to show that you are genuinely seeking full-time work.

The best way to look at the course (or to describe it to the Department or Jobpath if they ask) is that it is a fall back plan in the event that you do not secure full-time work in the meantime.

Advertisement