Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnel/Double sided Stove pros and cons?

• 18-05-2019 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking to find out if anyone has experience of a double sided or tunnel stove. We have a chimney installed between our kitchen/diner and separate living room, and thinking about a small woodburner for colder nights and covering potential power cuts.

On one hand, a tunnel stove will help keep separation between the two rooms, but seems to be more expensive than a freestanding stove with 2 sides. The freestanding stove will be in a wall opening so any activity in the kitchen will disrupt living room and vice versa.

Is it daft to think that we can keep the rooms separated at all with a stove like this? Might we be better just to install a normal stove for one side or the other?

Thanks for thoughts and help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MotoringAlong

Really interested in this as we are having a similar dilemma. Thinking of an insert double sided stove between two separate rooms but again not sure how it would work. Interested to hear if sound carries through the onset stove from one room to another and also if there are any screen options you can use to prevent look through from one rooms to another if stove isn’t in use.
    No help to you I’m afraid but will be watching with interest for other people’s experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

Im watching with interest also, I cant get my head around a double sided stove for 2 separate rooms, would love to see picture of how this works , ive only ever seen it in open plan houses

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

My parents put 1 in a few years ago. Living and sitting rooms back to back, they use the living room the majority of the time but it's been brilliant. Provided the stove is on then they always have the option of the sitting room if guests arrive. Serious heat out of it and it's a large stove so they can burn big lumps of timber in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭amber69

Got one put in around 5 years ago. Around 2ft long timber fits in. Does all my radiators. Cost around 4500 euros then. I haven't bought oil since. I use a mix of coal and timber. That price was for everything finished including the wall replastered. But you get out of it what you put in .. ie if you're shy with the coal its useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

My parents put 1 in a few years ago. Living and sitting rooms back to back, they use the living room the majority of the time but it's been brilliant. Provided the stove is on then they always have the option of the sitting room if guests arrive. Serious heat out of it and it's a large stove so they can burn big lumps of timber in it.

Thanks!

Does it still give them decent separation between the two rooms? Would telly in one disturb reading in the other, or vice versa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Mustn't be a common configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭amber69

Prenderb wrote: »
    Thanks!

Does it still give them decent separation between the two rooms? Would telly in one disturb reading in the other, or vice versa?

No it wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Prenderb wrote:

Not really, there's a narrow slot on top which if you put ur ear to you can hear in the next room. We use it to rise the mother asking that she bring us in food n stuff😠to be fair there's very little noise transfer

Advertisement