Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tuff mac 12 x 6

• 11-05-2019 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

My trailer is 30+ years old. It is a straight old trailer and doing the job well enough I suppose. Here is the thing though. A good mate has a 12x6 tuff mac about 10 months old and wants to buy a 14 x 6 tri axle instead. He has offered it to me at the trade in price. There is a serious saving on new and I know the trailer was minded.
    How do they compare to the other brands or does anyone have any experience with them? They seem to be a fine strong trailer just not as well finished as say an ifor williams. I am tempted by the offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭hopeso

The first question is, is he going Tuff mac again for the 14 foot? If so, he must be happy enough with how it behaved over the 10 months he had it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Only issues I've heard of was rivets on the ramp shearing or loosening. This was on early models. Don't know if it's rectified. Anyhow not a big deal, easy fix with bolts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

hopeso wrote: »
    The first question is, is he going Tuff mac again for the 14 foot? If so, he must be happy enough with how it behaved over the 10 months he had it.....

Yep. Tuffmac 14ft

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

A mate of mine bought a Tuff Mac a few yrs old . Even though we spotted some repairs on the ramp he still purchased . They are well built , solid realible & no issues. Even tho he hauls cattle for lads each week its a reliable trialer .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Sami23

Grueller wrote: »
    My trailer is 30+ years old. It is a straight old trailer and doing the job well enough I suppose. Here is the thing though. A good mate has a 12x6 tuff mac about 10 months old and wants to buy a 14 x 6 tri axle instead. He has offered it to me at the trade in price. There is a serious saving on new and I know the trailer was minded.
    How do they compare to the other brands or does anyone have any experience with them? They seem to be a fine strong trailer just not as well finished as say an ifor williams. I am tempted by the offer.

How much is he offering it to you for. That will go a long way to making the decision ?

• Advertisement

Sami23 wrote: »
    How much is he offering it to you for. That will go a long way to making the decision ?

Deal done this morning. He had been offered €4500 on a trade in. We met the dealer and he took my box instead and allowed €1500 for the trade of that.
    I let that off and wrote my mate a cheque for €3000.
    The box is in his yard still so I'll collect it next time I am over that way. I am happy enough to be honest.

Deal done this morning. He had been offered €4500 on a trade in. We met the dealer and he took my box instead and allowed €1500 for the trade of that.
    The box is in his yard still so I'll collect it next time I am over that way. I am happy enough to be honest.

3k sounds good for practically new trailer.
    How much are they new btw

3k sounds good for practically new trailer.
    How much are they new btw

I had quotes from €5500 up to €6200 for tuffmac and €6750 for the same spec Ifor Williams. Happy enough with the deal as I reckon €1200 was the value of mine being sold privately.

I had quotes from €5500 up to €6200 for tuffmac and €6750 for the same spec Ifor Williams. Happy enough with the deal as I reckon €1200 was the value of mine being sold privately.

No you definately got a good deal by the sounds of it in fairness. Best of luck with it.

Do you know how much your friend was quoted for for the new 14 foot Tuffmac ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

No you definately got a good deal by the sounds of it in fairness. Best of luck with it.

I know a 12ft tri axle was coming in around 6500 inc vat. Only priced it a few weeks back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I know a 12ft tri axle was coming in around 6500 inc vat. Only priced it a few weeks back.

I'm​ tempted to change to a 12 foot triaxle too although I thought the price would be a bit keener tbh. I understand that if your vat registered it may be a different story. A friend showed me a 14" tuffmac bought last week for €5750 cash, this included a worn out 12" Hudson traded in at €2200. Another friend bought a 14" Nugent without a tank for €7200 inc vat and a straight deal, I thought it dear and doesn't look to be any better of a trailer. My own trailer is a 12" Graham Edwards which I'd hope to be worth circa €2500, it's doing my work but am tempted to change in case of trailer testing in the near future.

It sounds like you did alright there..... Well wear!

€6800 including VAT. Well it was €2300 with his own. Dealer said they had went up €300 due to sterling and there was always €1200 difference from 12ft double axle to 14ft tri axle. Thats €1500 so he lost €800 in the short time he owned the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Probably be tricky for a number oc reasons, but a steering rear axle would be the job with those tri axles for turning in yards. Don't know how it could be done but that she'd lock the 3 axles over certain speed and that she would allow the back one to swivel for slow tight turning.

Muckit wrote: »
    Probably be tricky for a number oc reasons, but a steering rear axle would be the job with those tri axles for turning in yards. Don't know how it could be done but that she'd lock the 3 axles over certain speed and that she would allow the back one to swivel for slow tight turning.

It would definitely be an advantage if implemented correctly but I'd imagine it would take some clever engineering. This is going to increase the initial cost and also be an ongoing maintenance issue. If the necessary maintenance is lacking then I'd imagine it would only be another costly and possibly dangerous item to potentially fail. On the issue of maintenance is there anyone in the North West (Sligo/Leitrim) who services trailers or is it something I could attempt myself? I'm talking brakes​ in particular.

It would definitely be an advantage if implemented correctly but I'd imagine it would take some clever engineering. This is going to increase the initial cost and also be an ongoing maintenance issue. If the necessary maintenance is lacking then I'd imagine it would only be another costly and possibly dangerous item to potentially fail. On the issue of maintenance is there anyone in the North West (Sligo/Leitrim) who services trailers or is it something I could attempt myself? I'm talking brakes​ in particular.

Look up youtube. Its not a difficult one to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'm​ tempted to change to a 12 foot triaxle too although I thought the price would be a bit keener tbh. I understand that if your vat registered it may be a different story. A friend showed me a 14" tuffmac bought last week for €5750 cash, this included a worn out 12" Hudson traded in at €2200. Another friend bought a 14" Nugent without a tank for €7200 inc vat and a straight deal, I thought it dear and doesn't look to be any better of a trailer. My own trailer is a 12" Graham Edwards which I'd hope to be worth circa €2500, it's doing my work but am tempted to change in case of trailer testing in the near future.

Have a fairly worn out 14ft Ifor and a good 10x5 Ifor. Thought to sell the 2 of them and have one right trailer. A lot spent this year though so might have to wait till next year. Would rather the tri axle to tow.

Have a fairly worn out 14ft Ifor and a good 10x5 Ifor. Thought to sell the 2 of them and have one right trailer. A lot spent this year though so might have to wait till next year. Would rather the tri axle to tow.

I'm of the same mindset, I had an old 8x5 box with no brakes that I sold and currently have the 12" Graham Edwards. The smaller trailer was handy at times but anything decent in that size is €1500+ and I can't really justify 2 trailers at that kind of money. I'm certain that trailer testing will be enacted in the medium term and had a bad experience with towing years ago so having a trailer up to spec is something I'm particular about. I think the triaxle is a steadier setup compared to the double axle, less snaking behind the jeep. A 12" box would be big enough for most of the yards I'd frequent, that extra 2 foot makes a big difference in a tight spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Just wondering do many of you wash your trailer after every use ?

Trailer washed after every use here I am just wondering am I giving myself extra hardship as most of my mates say their trailer would be lucky to get one wash a year :D

josephsoap wrote: »

Trailer washed after every use here I am just wondering am I giving myself extra hardship as most of my mates say their trailer would be lucky to get one wash a year :D

I do. My last trailer was 35 years old and in reasonably good shape considering we have an outfarm 7 miles away so the trailer does a lot of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I do. My last trailer was 35 years old and in reasonably good shape considering we have an outfarm 7 miles away so the trailer does a lot of work.

35 years ....will keep washing it so :)

Yes....In fact, I'm not long in the door after washing mine......

I have a square headed coal shovel specially for the job of cleaning out the trailer after each use. It only takes a minute to scrape out the heavy stuff and the trailer is dry and reasonably clean for the next time. My trailer would be used multiple times a week and I'd rarely wash it tbh unless it was very dirty. Granted it was bought second hand and is probably circa 20 years old but I doubt I'd be much more particular with a new trailer, there bought to be dirtied in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭anthony500_1

josephsoap wrote:

Yeah would always wash the trailer here after use, might only use it once a month. It's 15yrs in our yard and is as good as new,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A lad was taking his time washing his trailer at the mart, dealer in a hurry with a filthy trailer in the que behind him says 'Are you selling it or what?'

I always wash mine, hate lending it to lads who never wash it after them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement