Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HELP: Identitying a Lacoste Jumper??

• 30-04-2019 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I recently bought a Lacoste jumper in the charity. It was a steal really, only €8 bought with a jacket marked €4 aswell and I got the two for a tenner so you could say it was €6. I think it was so cheap because I bought it in Belmullet which probably has to be one of the most remote towns in the country. Even if it is fake I’m sure I would be paying €40+ for a vintage designer jumper in one of the cities.

I’m no fashion expert but I’ve done all the checks (stiching, labels etc.) and am 99% sure it is genuine.

Only thing is I’ve been trawling through images online and I can’t find a single jumper like the one I have. It is a beige crew neck jumper with two brown/maroon/purple horizontal stripes round each sleeve with the same colour trim round the neck. It is a men’s size 6. The manufacturer is “BAS’I S.A. Barcelona”. It is 50% cotton, 50% acrylic.

What I’m wondering is if anyone recognises this jumper, if it’s real, what year it’s from and how much it’s likely worth. If it is fake, it’s an excellent one. The material is high quality and very soft. The crocodile is perfectly done onto it. Because I can’t find any pictures of a similar jumper online, I think it’s either fake or rare. I have no idea whether it’s vintage or new(ish) but I think it’s probably from the 90’s. That being said, I’ve no expertise on this topic.

Could anyone who knows anything about fashion, especially vintage help me out?

Will attach pictures.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 yesnow

Some pictures

More pictures

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It looks to be genuine.

Are you looking to sell it on, do you have a price in mind? The resale value on second hand clothes is very low in general. You might get a bit of luck on Depop as people are looking for brands like Lacoste. At the moment there's jumpers going from £12-40, with the odd few asking for more, more like heavy tops with zips etc.

While it might be a "rarer" design, the market is flooded with second hand Lacoste. Lacoste put out seasonal pieces all the time that are different to their classic lines. It's probably from an era before online shopping so you're not likely to get find a record of it, I wouldn't take that as a reason to think it's extremely rare.

Twee. wrote: »
    It looks to be genuine.

Are you looking to sell it on, do you have a price in mind? The resale value on second hand clothes is very low in general. You might get a bit of luck on Depop as people are looking for brands like Lacoste. At the moment there's jumpers going from £12-40, with the odd few asking for more, more like heavy tops with zips etc.

While it might be a "rarer" design, the market is flooded with second hand Lacoste. Lacoste put out seasonal pieces all the time that are different to their classic lines. It's probably from an era before online shopping so you're not likely to get find a record of it, I wouldn't take that as a reason to think it's extremely rare.

No, I'm not looking to sell it, mainly just curious as to the year and what collection it came out of.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hmm, that might be tricky. You could try contacting them, I'm sure they have archives, how searchable they are is another thing! The BAS on the label might help identify the era, as it looks like it might have been made in Spain, under license to them (in the US this would be Devanlay). I believe a lot of the manufacturing is now done in Peru, open to correction of course!

I worked in Lacoste on my J1 many years ago :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's a nice jumper. The style of the jumper seems to me late 90s maybe early 00s. The stripes, relaxed fit and drop straight waist (no patent) seems very much of that period.

Advertisement