Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trojan Midi Irish Arcade Cabinet

• 25-04-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

As far as I can tell, these are Irish cabinets, and I told someone else here that I would put up some pictures so we could have the history of these things online.

This one was a poker machine when I got it. It had a 21" MTC900E, which looked too big for the bezel, so I replaced that with a 20" K7000. The shelf arrangement inside is handy, as it allows the changing of the PCB from the front, as long as it fits through the coin door. The monitor chassis is also on a shelf, so even on the K7000, which has no remote, the monitor settings can be changed through the front door.

I had intended to use the original gold trim, but some was loose and it cracked very easily when twisted, so I put on some gold moulding instead.

One of the shelves inside was made from the same wood as the control panel, so I had enough wood in that for two new panels. I started on one, then changed my mind about how to place the controls. The metal strip that covered the bottom of the glass was intruding on the panel, so I had a friend make a strip that attached to the rear of the 3/4" panel, leaving the entire top for controls.

The marquee had no light behind it, so attached an MDF piece to the speaker housing using L-shaped brackets and put some LEDs in there. I could then tell why it wasn't lit before. Too much light passes through the marquee even after reducing the two LED strips to one and turning the brightness down as far as it will go. It helps to put a new speaker in, as the originals are generally poor, and this was no exception.

Getting a 2-player 6-button layout on such a small panel was tricky. I used the modern equivalent of Starpoint buttons to save space. The sticks are LS-55 with the Kowal throw-reducing modification. They're lower than they would be on a metal panel, even after recessing them as much as possible, but I find them comfortable. It's possible to get extended shafts for the sticks, but I find that makes them feel loose. I couldn't recess too much because I was using bolt housings underneath in order to have a clean panel on top with no bolts showing.

Raising the cabinet on castors made it a nice height for standing at, and overall it's a tidy unit. The screen is at a good angle, and it will go vertical, but the chassis would have to be disconnected while the tube is being removed and turned. One of these sold in Carlow on Adverts as a shell only (for about €120!) recently, and I've seen one or two others sold online.

Edit: Yes, originally it had an ashtray and a No Smoking sticker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Nice clean refurb - you like the switch click type buttons it seems, keeping the control panel with hint of originalness :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

lovely job, did you put vinyl wrap on the sides ? It looks very clean

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Looks great, woodgrain for life !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

very tidy job there . well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

lovely job, did you put vinyl wrap on the sides ? It looks very clean

It's just the original woodgrain. It was a clean cabinet apart from a few holes down the side where a security bar was attached. Those are filled now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Nice to see it running World Rally! A man after my own heart. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Martynafagan

Hey man, lovely job.
    Have one of these myself.
    (Bombjack!, Mario Bros., Mercs)
    It's been neglected for a while and I'm tyring to spruce it up.
    Can you recommend where to buy parts (buttons, bulbs, etc)?
    My CRT PCB seems busted (actual flames came out of it) so that needs looking at too. 🀪

Advertisement