Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Purchasing dimensioned timber - tolerances?

Options
  • 14-04-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I ordered my first pieces of dimensioned timber from 2 timber suppliers in Dublin /Kildare. (I've only ever bought rough / PAO from builders providers & rough from timber suppliers before)

Anyway, what was supposed to be 18mm thick is 17.6mm in one instance (walnut) and in others what should be 20mm is 19.5mm (oak & beech)

So 0.5mm out in thickness - Is this usual in your experience?

I find it really annoying, obviously 0.5mm over would be much better.

Thanks

Comments

Swift66 wrote: »
    Hello,

I ordered my first pieces of dimensioned timber from 2 timber suppliers in Dublin /Kildare. (I've only ever bought rough / PAO from builders providers & rough from timber suppliers before)

Anyway, what was supposed to be 18mm thick is 17.6mm in one instance (walnut) and in others what should be 20mm is 19.5mm (oak & beech)

So 0.5mm out in thickness - Is this usual in your experience?

I find it really annoying, obviously 0.5mm over would be much better.

Thanks

If .4-.5mm bothers you at this stage, wait until it acclimatises and see how annoyed you’ll be.

Dimensioned hardwood is not to be considered a finished dimension when you order it. Always add something to allow you take it down to final dimension.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I think you probably got industry standard tolerances there.

+/- .5 mm is good by any stretch of the imagination. If you wanted better you

probably should have specced more material.

Just on the shrinkage thing, have a read of this:

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/dimensional-shrinkage/

I can recommend the book also. Very useful to have, if you like books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You simply can't trust nominal tolerances - the only way to be sure of dimensions is to buy it rough and machine it yourself.

Advertisement