Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber Painting/Varnish Black

• 02-04-2019 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm currently in the process of building my own open wardrobe. Rather than shelling out stupid money, I figured it'd be easier build one to my needs.

I'm working with 2x2 for the frames and 4x1 for the shelving.

Anyway, I want to paint the frames black and varnish the 4x1 shelving something lighter, with a retro feel.

The black is grand but the wood is still a bit rough to the touch, so I figured I probably should have varnished first and then painted over. Is it ok to varnish over the paint, and if so what would you recommend to use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

You don't paint over varnish.

Did you use a good quality undercoat? Was the wood sanded smooth prior to and after applying the undercoat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

lgk wrote: »
    You don't paint over varnish.

Did you use a good quality undercoat? Was the wood sanded smooth prior to and after applying the undercoat?

Good thing I started with the paint so :o

I used a decent quality wood paint (can't think of the brand off the top of my bed) - and sanded the wood smooth prior to painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

You really should have applied an undercoat first, and most paint manufacturers will advise you prime untreated wood first, then undercoat, then gloss, sanding back between each coat. You can get some 1-coat do it all paints, but the results are never as good.

You can try sanding it back to smooth now and applying another coat.

Advertisement