Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

True Crime Podcasts

• 06-02-2019 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to a ever multiplying amount of True Crime pods out there at the moment, I felt maybe it was better to make a seperate thread about all the ones that might go under the radar a bit? Rather than to just shoehorn into the casefile thread or whatever?

Anyway was listening to a newish Irish one the last day, The Crimeroom -

https://www.crimeroompodcast.com/

It's alright I suppose. Bit of a blatant casefile copycat though: spooky ambient soundtrack and an anonymous narrator called "X". Bit cringy to me how they've aped that aspect of the other show - though I swear I can almost place the voice of the narrator, I think she works in the media somewhere here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Good idea, I came on just looking for something similar.

I like this, as it has Irish stories that you won't hear on many of the popular US and European podcasts. First podcast I've heard do an item on the death of Robert Holohan. Also does Veronica Guerin, Padraig Nally, and others. Well worth a listen.

https://mensreapod.com/

I've also been listening to that Australian podcast The Teacher's Pet which is like a reality show at this stage. I wont spoil it for anybody who hasn't been listening but it's worth a listen as well.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/the-teachers-pet

And of course West Cork is great but I think you have to sign up to Audible for that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Two new true Crime Podcasts have been released recently.

Conviction by Gimlet media. All episodes are available now. I've listened to the first episode and it's interesting so far.

Over My Dead Body is the latest series from Wondery, the same team that made Dirty John and Dr. Death. There's only one episode of this one released so far, I haven't listened to it yet so can't comment on whether it's interesting or not.

over my dead body good so far.

glasso wrote: »
    over my dead body good so far.

What do they cover, American crime/murder?

What do they cover, American crime/murder?

it's a one-off story. in a similar style to Dirty John as the poster above said.

has higher production values than the one-off stuff but if you're looking for a casefile type thing it's not that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 FBWT

Another vote for Mens Rea. Focuses mostly on Irish crime with a few well known British cases too.

"Once Upon a Crime" is good too, - a different case each time or maybe over 2 episodes. Well told and easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

FBWT wrote: »
    Another vote for Mens Rea. Focuses mostly on Irish crime with a few well known British cases too.

Started listening to this based on the recommendations here, enjoying it so far.

Although I can't make out if the narrator's accent is American or Irish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think she grew up in the states or lived there for a while, there's a thread about the show elsewhere on the forum where the host herself helpfully turned up to post a bit about the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Arghus wrote: »
    I think she grew up in the states or lived there for a while, there's a thread about the show elsewhere on the forum where the host herself helpfully turned up to post a bit about the show.

Thanks for the response. If the hose happens to read this, keep up the great work! :)

• Advertisement

FBWT wrote: »

The one on the Robert Holohan case is the only real doc I've ever heard about the case.

Really good podcast I'm listening to about Elizabeth Holmes of Thernos at the moment as well. Not sure if it's strictly considered true crime until she's found guilty. But it's a good listen.

http://abcradio.com/podcasts/the-dropout/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Really good podcast I'm listening to about Elizabeth Holmes of Thernos at the moment as well. Not sure if it's strictly considered true crime until she's found guilty. But it's a good listen.

http://abcradio.com/podcasts/the-dropout/

I would recommend the book that the podcast is based on - Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup

It's a brilliant read.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I would recommend the book that the podcast is based on - Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup

Yeah I saw interviews with the author Carryou. Seems like he did good work. I was going to get the audiobook, but it's 13 hours. And I'm trying to listen to something productive in the car !!

In other news, I just found this, about one case that has really fascinated me ever since the story of the window being "jemmied" changed.

https://omny.fm/shows/maddie/maddie

Only two episodes up so far, and I'm going to listen to them in the car on the way home today. The disappearance of Madeleine McCann. This has been long overdue.

John Carreyrou was the person who broke the story in October 2015

this is the first of a series of articles (paywall as wall street journal), eventually leading to the book which is good but tails off about 2/3 of the way through.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-has-struggled-with-blood-tests-1444881901

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Sword And Scale just announced its finished, released a 7 minute sign off blaming Aaron Mahnke, guy seems a fool

Sword And Scale just announced its finished, released a 7 minute sign off blaming Aaron Mahnke, guy seems a fool

Who is the fool? The Sword and Scale guy or Aaron Mahnke?

Seems a bit of a stretch to blame someone else when he was the one putting up knowingly provocative stuff on Twitter.

I used to listen to Sword and Scale back in the day but I got sick of it after a while. It had a lot of the characteristics that makes me hate certain true crime shows - overly gratuitous just for the sake of it and a lot of mawkish and disingenuous sentimentality.

The Sword and The Scale guy is a known fool.

Yeah, I'd heard numerous reports before this about him being a bit of a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Who is the fool? The Sword and Scale guy or Aaron Mahnke?

Seems a bit of a stretch to blame someone else when he was the one putting up knowingly provocative stuff on Twitter.

I used to listen to Sword and Scale back in the day but I got sick of it after a while. It had a lot of the characteristics that makes me hate certain true crime shows - overly gratuitous just for the sake of it and a lot of mawkish and disingenuous sentimentality.

Yeah I meant the S & S guy.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt that he's a dick but I still enjoyed Sword and Scale and it's a shame that it's finishing.

To be honest I think cancel culture is getting beyond a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Generation Why
    Disgraceland
    True Crime Garage
    The Minds Of Madness
    Criminology
    Unresolved

These are just some of the many tc pods I listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Casefile
    The Last Podcast on the left
    Criminology
    They Walk Among Us
    Criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Gwildor

A few of my favourites...

Monster: The Zodiac Killer
    Dr. Death
    The Dropout
    Last Seen
    Murdertown
    Over My Dead Body
    RedHanded
    They Walk Among Us
    Serial
    West Cork

Ann22 wrote: »
    Casefile
    The Last Podcast on the left
    Criminology
    They Walk Among Us
    Criminal

I don't understand why there isn't more love for this show in particular, he picks great cases and sticks to the facts.

I don't understand why there isn't more love for this show in particular, he picks great cases and sticks to the facts.

I agree. It's really good. And most of the cases are UK based so I would have been vaguely familiar with some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Any good series out there? I seem to have exhausted them all. Something like West Cork, Cold, Someone knows something etc.

Loving The Serial Killer podcast, only found it recently. Highly recommend. Also agree with the above, They Walk Among Us is fantastic, straight to the facts no bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

yea....started a new one today...

22 hours : an american nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Any good series out there? I seem to have exhausted them all. Something like West Cork, Cold, Someone knows something etc.

Loving The Serial Killer podcast, only found it recently. Highly recommend. Also agree with the above, They Walk Among Us is fantastic, straight to the facts no bullsh1t.

They walk among us has had some great episodes lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Really loving Redhanded of late.

Advertisement