Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Nfl Draft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Lots of rumours that the Cardinals are picking Murray at #1. I personally don’t see it happening, but it is so widespread there must be at least one team source that is leaking it (Kingsbury is being quoted as one of them).

I’m trying to work out what the benefit of using this story as a smokescreen is if it isn’t true. The obvious easy answer is to trade down for more picks, but what is their strategy? Most teams don’t move up unless it is for a QB, so are they hoping a team loves Murray so much that they’d give away the massive haul of picks to move up in the draft from a team that really likes him themselves? Surely that would scare a team away if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Before people get too high on DK Metcalf...he ran slower cone and shuttle drills than Tom Brady did at the combine.

Tom Brady: 7.2 cone, 4.38 shuttle
    DK Metcalf: 7.38 cone, 4.5 shuttle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Murray has bust written all over him to me. just because he had Baker type stats doesn't mean everything. that conference they play no defense and the Oklahoma system makes QBs look good. he doesn't have the intangibles Mayfield does.

if the Cards take him at 1 that's just so boneheaded, but i hope they do so i can keep betting against them every week.

I can see them basically being the Browns of the next decade, being awful every year, desperate for a QB every draft, and still always picking the wrong guy, and being bad again year in year out.

id trade down. LA has that division on lock for the foreseeable future, Seattle is still miles better than they are, and the 9ers are way further along in their rebuild. Using a number 1 pick on a QB with 1 year college experience after taking Rosen so high is ludicrous. like throwing good money after bad. Not all Rosens picks were his fault last year either some were flukes, and the whole team and the coaches all sucked not just him. I don't like him but I'd let him play another year and trade down for more pieces and maybe get a QB later.

with the Browns Bills and Jets having got their guy last year there are less teams looking to draft QBs. Jags are gonna get Foles. So that leaves Giants, Phins, Skins, and I don't think they're gonna necessarily use a high pick for a QB either as they all have veteran QBs on the roster and all have huge needs on defense in a draft with plenty of DL/pass rushers that are more sure things (Giants have no pass rushers, the other 2 teams can't stop the run)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hazys wrote: »
    Before people get too high on DK Metcalf...he ran slower cone and shuttle drills than Tom Brady did at the combine.

Tom Brady: 7.2 cone, 4.38 shuttle
    DK Metcalf: 7.38 cone, 4.5 shuttle

He slipped during his run.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Another really good read:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/3/6/18252702/kyler-murray-no-1-pick-nfl-draft-undersized-quarterback
    Kyler Murray’s measurements are all the rage right now, but NFL teams need to be smarter about much more than short quarterbacks. There were lessons to be learned from the combine about which players are most desirable in the modern NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Interesting read

Casserly: Murray struggled in Indy; Rosen available

Less than a week after Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim gave a lukewarm response on Josh Rosen's future as the team's starting quarterback, the Cardinals are apparently looking elsewhere.

NFL Network analyst Charley Casserly said Tuesday on Up to the Minute that an executive from another team informed him the Cardinals are shopping Rosen.

In the event Rosen is moved, it sets up a potential scenario for the Cardinals and first-year head coach Kliff Kingsbury to select quarterback Kyler Murray with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

There are apparently concerns surrounding Murray, though. Casserly points out a litany of issues he has heard surrounding the former Oklahoma quarterback's interview process at the NFL Scouting Combine.

"Well, he better hope Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good," Casserly said. "This was the worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback, and I've been doing this a long time. I've probably been doing it longer than you're alive.

"Anyway, leadership -- not good. Study habits -- not good. The board work -- below not good. Not good at all in any of those areas and raising major concerns about what this guy is going to do. Now, people say, we're going to compare him to [Patrick] Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Baker Mayfield. Well, you can't. ... Those guys are much different. Those guys, you never question about their ability on the board, you never question about their leadership ability, their work habits, they were outstanding in those areas. This guy is not outstanding in those areas. It showed up in the interview."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021202/article/casserly-murray-struggled-in-indy-rosen-available

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Anybody what would take Kyler Murray over Dwayne Haskins or Drew Lock shouldn't have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Guffy wrote: »
    He slipped during his run.

https://twitter.com/BrettKollmann/status/1102799455516938240

Slip is a very generous term. And even still, he looked like a baby giraffe. No way you should be slipping like that on that surface.
    Something he would've been preparing for a long time so I'm not entirely sure how it being a "technique problem" takes the stink off it (as it says in the tweet). It was an awful performance by him in that drill.
    His 20 yard shuttle was similarly awful. Those 2 drills seem to be considered the most important drills for WRs.

Slip is a very generous term. And even still, he looked like a baby giraffe. No way you should be slipping like that on that surface.
    Something he would've been preparing for a long time so I'm not entirely sure how it being a "technique problem" takes the stink off it (as it says in the tweet). It was an awful performance by him in that drill.
    His 20 yard shuttle was similarly awful. Those 2 drills seem to be considered the most important drills for WRs.

Looks like his preparation focused more on his strengths rather than wanting to improve on weaknesses. Not really the ideal trait for an NFL player so hopefully he was just getting bad advice rather than having a mindset like Polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not sure saying "just a technique problem" is really valid here. Technique matters. They need to be able to come in and out of their breaks without stumbling, and Metcalf failed doing this which is somewhat consistent with his college tape.

May be harsh to judge him on 1 take, but every other player at the combine has the same circumstances. He was historically bad.

I do hope for his sake that he tidies it up for his Pro Day however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Knex. wrote: »
    Not sure saying "just a technique problem" is really valid here. Technique matters. They need to be able to come in and out of their breaks without stumbling, and Metcalf failed doing this which is somewhat consistent with his college tape.

May be harsh to judge him on 1 take, but every other player at the combine has the same circumstances. He was historically bad.

I do hope for his sake that he tidies it up for his Pro Day however.

That's why I like the idea of a pro day. It gives a player who may not have done as well as they should have at the combine redeem themselves in a friendly environment with players they know.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Anybody what would take Kyler Murray over Dwayne Haskins or Drew Lock shouldn't have a job.

From the tape I’ve watched so far, Drew Lock is absolute rubbish IMO.

He has “complete bust under Elway in Denver” written all over him.

That said, I didn’t like Mahomes either so what do I know :pac:

Paully D wrote:
    From the tape I’ve watched so far, Drew Lock is absolute rubbish IMO.
    He has “complete bust under Elway in Denver†written all over him.
    That said, I didn’t like Mahomes either so what do I know
    I think Lock will be a solid starter at worst in the NFL.
    I'm a bigger fan of Haskins, I think he is the best QB to come out of college since Andrew Luck. Very exciting prospect.

https://twitter.com/getupespn/status/1106194999232872451?s=21

Couldn’t agree more with Riddick’s comments about Pro Day’s in that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How do pro days work? Do the colleges provide them for free to players?

Nearly all the players that have declared for the draft from the school take part in measurements and drills (many like those at the combine). It is in the environment that they are used to and the drills run by their coaches, so they’re really set up to succeed. It allows guys who weren’t invited to the combine to show themselves off to scouts and gives a second chance to guys who attended the combine and did poorly or skipped parts of it.

As far as I know the schools cover all the costs. The school however gets a lot of benefits to their program when guys get drafted, so it isn’t really all out of the goodness of their hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

I'd rather Rosen than Murray. And I don't rate Rosen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Matt Cassell never started a game at QB in four years at USC

His pro day is supposed to have been very impressive and he was drafted in the 7th round by New England and has since made a stack of millions

A chance to shine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

Where will Rosen end up? Giants? For a second round pick, I’d take him but they gotta improve that OL infront of him or he’s gonna get creamed.

Where will Rosen end up? Giants? For a second round pick, I’d take him but they gotta improve that OL infront of him or he’s gonna get creamed.
    Yeah the Giants FA and draft should be all about that offensive line. They have a wonderful running back and they need to improve pass protection.
    I'm not sure Eli has much left in him but to be fair he hasn't had the chance to be very good over the last couple of seasons due to the lack of pass protection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

https://youtu.be/Y9EAnLHj2v4

Different take on Metcalf compared to the backlash that came after his 3 cone.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah the Giants FA and draft should be all about that offensive line. They have a wonderful running back and they need to improve pass protection.
    I'm not sure Eli has much left in him but to be fair he hasn't had the chance to be very good over the last couple of seasons due to the lack of pass protection.

Zeitler from Browns will make a massive difference. Solder and Hernandez played well last year after a rocky start to the season. The starting center, Halapio broke his ankle in game 2 last year after starting the season very well.

So you've 4 of the 5 spots that should be more than serviceable in a line that improved quite a bit towards the end of last year once they booted out Flowers and Omameh for Brown and Chad Wheeler.

Wheeler is pretty atrocious, in all honesty. Has a better attitude than Flowers and not as penalty prone, but he gets beat very often. Just thankfully it's not on Eli's blind side. Definite requirement to improve on him and then hope the 5 guys can gel.

Backup center Spencer Pulley was resigned, and he played about average in the 2nd half of the season too. Not the worst backup. W heeler can play the swing tackle role if required.

It's the first time in years that I've felt reasonably OK about our line and where it is headed.

Yeah we need a RT but apart from that the line should be OK

I can Gettleman going heavy on D in the draft as we have lots of holes there

Question is will Haskins fall to 6 and do the Giants like him enough to draft him there?

KrustyUCC wrote:
    Question is will Haskins fall to 6 and do the Giants like him enough to draft him there?
    If Haskins gets to 6 then whoever make the decision not to take him should be sacked immediately.
    Haskins should be going no.1 as in teams should be giving whatever it takes to get to no.1 to get him.

Not sure he's that much of a slam dunk that he should be no 1 overall but def at six the Giants need to build for post-Eli so should grab him

Some discussion that Gettleman will go D, Giants have a poor year and get a QB high next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Blut2

If they don't get a QB until the 2020 season the Barkley signing will look even more ridiculous. In that case he'll either be almost, or fully out of contract by the time any young QB starts hitting his stride in 2021 or 2022.

KrustyUCC wrote:
    Not sure he's that much of a slam dunk that he should be no 1 overall but def at six the Giants need to build for post-Eli so should grab him
    He's a better prospect than Murray. Imo and I've been saying this for quite a while, he is the best prospect to come out of college since Andrew Luck.
    I believe a couple of the so called draft experts have been saying this in recent times but I was saying it before it was reported in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Some discussion that Gettleman will go D, Giants have a poor year and get a QB high next year

No chance NYG takes a QB rd 1. If they were gonna do that they would have kept OBJ. Their pass rush is abysmal and the draft is deep at DL/DE guys who are much easier to predict as being starter quality.

No chance NYG takes a QB rd 1. If they were gonna do that they would have kept OBJ. Their pass rush is abysmal and the draft is deep at DL/DE guys who are much easier to predict as being starter quality.

I don't agree with this tbh.

Two first round picks, there is every chance NY take a QB round 1. OBJ trade has no impact on it at all. Gettleman said in his press conference the other day that he intends on drafting a QB.

• Advertisement

Advertisement