Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New gay bar in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

J_E wrote: »
    I popped in for a visit. It was okay. The whole thing is one open space, which means you can't really get a corner to yourself or hide away. The uniforms are just a bit strange... I hope in time it develops its own character, it feels like it could be a hotel lounge in any city if not for the male statues (which are fetching but I can get where people would draw the conclusion it's very focused on white gay men from that)

I don't want to be pooping on a new venue which is obviously welcomed in town. I just think Street 66 or Nealons has more colour.

Kind of reminded me of bars in spain for some reason.

I liked it.

I HATE the chairs though.

I hadn't gone in Nealons for long time avoiding it because it just looked like an old man pub. I was kind of scared to until just last year I had no idea it had a huge gay customer base until someone brought me there. I was like are you sure? I love it now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

At a time when the gay scene seems to be changing and places closing down, the opening of a new bar is welcome, let's hope it offers an alternative to The George and Pantibar neither which appeal to me (the latter's staff can be pretty obnoxious) they're usually too crowded and it's impossible to have a conversation in either. Street 66 is OK, it's redeemed itself since changing hands but it's not as good as The Front Lounge, Nealon's is great for conversation, good atmosphere, if only they could spruce up the toilets (sometime you can smell them from the bar).
    Like I said above, hopefully Penny Lane will offer something different, a more relaxed vibe with less attitude lending itself to decent chat would be welcome especially for those of us who are no longer in the first flush of youth but at the same time not ready for the free bus pass just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Are there any bars that are good during the day at weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are there any bars that ar stood during the day at weekends?

Pardon me?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

ongarboy wrote: »
    I do think Street 66 (particularly the front part) does cater for ladies really well and has less of the sexualized (dare I say sleaze) element that other bars have (particularly when you're using restrooms).

Curious by this particular paragraph. Can u elaborate as to what you mean by the above ?

Are you saying that many gay bars in Dublin are sexualised and sleazy? and in particular when using the toilets?

Ive never seen any evidence of this

• Advertisement

Penny Lane does have a hotel feel to it.
    It is clean and new but after that feels a bit character less.

There was a noticeable turnaround in tables the day I was there.

The shape of the place it was more noticeable than for example pantibar.
    People moving on after one drink and being replaced in the resulting space.

The uniforms that the staff wear t-shirt and an apron type thing is silly looking.
    Yes they do wear trousers.:D

Prices are obviously higher than pantibar.

imme wrote: »
    Pardon me?

Sorry, iPhone autocorrect done it’s thing. Are any bars good during the day was what I wanted to say.

Sorry, iPhone autocorrect done it’s thing. Are any bars good during the day was what I wanted to say.

Pantibar opens at 4pm everyday.

Street66 opens at 12.30 everyday except Sunday which is a 12.00 opening.

The George bar opens at 2 pm on weekdays.

Apart from gay bars it depends which part of the city you're looking to experience or what type of bar you want, food or not food, indoor or outdoor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Curious by this particular paragraph. Can u elaborate as to what you mean by the above ?

Are you saying that many gay bars in Dublin are sexualised and sleazy? and in particular when using the toilets?

Neither have I, though I have seen a lot of guys (probably non Irish) heading into the ladies toilet thinking Mná was Men spelt incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I do think Street 66 (particularly the front part) does cater for ladies really well and has less of the sexualized (dare I say sleaze) element that other bars have (particularly when you're using restrooms).

Toilets where the guy at the next urinal leers at you(or your equipment), passes comment about it or gropes you from behind. One bar in particular (Jurassic), it has happened numerous times but I've had it happen in other bars also. It would be less than one in 20 times that these incidents happen (I go out a lot!) and I can handle it but it does happen more than just once in a blue moon and I'd rather it didn't. I've a couple of straight male friends that sometimes join us out on the scene and I would avoid bringing them to the aforementioned bar for that reason even though I'd go there myself despite as I like the bar itself....and jukebox!!

As regards Penny Lane, we went there for one on Friday night. Very nice bar, modern and smallish. I do wonder how it will fit in to the scene overall long-term as it's not a venue set up for DJ, dancing etc or a pint at the bar (maybe that's the point) but great to have an alternative addition. Agree about the toilets, you feel like you're leaving the venue to use them but they're very clean. The outdoor patio will be nice on warm evenings. It was busy with smokers on our visit.

• Advertisement

Toilets where the guy at the next urinal leers at you(or your equipment), passes comment about it or gropes you from behind. One bar in particular (Jurassic), it has happened numerous times but I've had it happen in other bars also. It would be less than one in 20 times that these incidents happen (I go out a lot!) and I can handle it but it does happen more than just once in a blue moon and I'd rather it didn't. I've a couple of straight male friends that sometimes join us out on the scene and I would avoid bringing them to the aforementioned bar for that reason even though I'd go there myself despite as I like the bar itself....and jukebox!!

I can't recall experiencing this type of behaviour myself.

I do however expect to be checked out at urinals in a gay bar but ott leering and groping not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Does Pantibar maintain the spot for cheapest pints of any Dublin queer space? I’m only out since January and am only starting to get into it now, but...gotta watch the pennies

Qrt wrote: »
    Does Pantibar maintain the spot for cheapest pints of any Dublin queer space? I’m only out since January and am only starting to get into it now, but...gotta watch the pennies

Mon to Fri before 8pm, Pantibar has cheap pints under a fiver but after that it's just the same as everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Prhomo Thursdays at the Hub are the cheapest.

From their facebook:
    DRINKS PROMOS
    €3 SHOTS Teq/Sambuca
    €4 Vodka Dash
    €4 Bottle Beers
    €7 Double Vodka Dash

Doors 11, Facebook list ’til 11.30
    Entry: €5/€7
    Music & booze ’til 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

cgcsb wrote: »

From their facebook:
    DRINKS PROMOS
    €3 SHOTS Teq/Sambuca
    €4 Vodka Dash
    €4 Bottle Beers
    €7 Double Vodka Dash

Music & booze ’til 3.

Pints, we're talking about pints

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Pints, we're talking about pints

You'd be better off not drinking a pint out of the Hub to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

cgcsb wrote: »

From their facebook:
    DRINKS PROMOS
    €3 SHOTS Teq/Sambuca
    €4 Vodka Dash
    €4 Bottle Beers
    €7 Double Vodka Dash

Music & booze ’til 3.

The shots are half shots though. So its the same price of alcohol really

wakka12 wrote: »
    The shots are half shots though. So its the same price of alcohol really

Is that legal? I always thought they had to sell by the 35ml measure (or whatever it is)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Yes its still 4:30 a pint until 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

I went in as well for a look and i liked it though i still prefer street 66 and pantibar and dont see myself becoming a regular in pennylane. Its very small and rather expensive at 6:20 a pint. Staff similar to pantibar all young male Brazilian. The uniforms look a little strange mustard tshirts and dark green aprons. A lot of people stayed for one drink and then left. Hard to know if it will be a success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Is that legal? I always thought they had to sell by the 35ml measure (or whatever it is)
    "shot" is not the same as "measure"

its a scam basically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Nicely finished revamp/rehab of the premises. Quite pricey for drinks IMHO. Small venue. Friendly staff. Crowd seemed little older, 30 - 55 I'd guess for the most part. Good atmosphere I felt.

How is it in comparison to Street 66? I was in there on Wednesday, I was expecting it to be fairly dead but this was next level depressing.

Which if any pubs are good to go alone hoping to pick up with someone?

Which if any pubs are good to go alone hoping to pick up with someone?

That's a fairly impossible question to answer. There is only 3(now 4) gay bars in Dublin so it's not like there is a hard and fast rule about one bar being better than another for scoring and it will be more down to your scoring/pick up abilities rather than the venue. If you're hot, it will be easier again. If you're not, not as easy....

You could theoretically pick up a guy in any straight bar if you're smart about it and have the use of hook up apps.

My days of trying to score on a night out are behind me but if I was to make a guess, the later in the night (post 10pm) the better in places like in Street 66 or Pantibar as the music gets louder and the lights dim. If your user name is a clue as to your age, then the George should be no problem to score as it will be packed with younger people most nights from 10pm onwards.

Clubs will be easier again as there are more cruisy opportunities (Sweatbox/Mother on Eustace Street every weekend, Profile, Bukakke, Euphoria and Daddi but they are monthly type nights rather than regular.

That's a fairly impossible question to answer. There is only 3(now 4) gay bars in Dublin so it's not like there is a hard and fast rule about one bar being better than another for scoring and it will be more down to your scoring/pick up abilities rather than the venue. If you're hot, it will be easier again. If you're not, not as easy....

You could theoretically pick up a guy in any straight bar if you're smart about it and have the use of hook up apps.

My days of trying to score on a night out are behind me but if I was to make a guess, the later in the night (post 10pm) the better in places like in Street 66 or Pantibar as the music gets louder and the lights dim. If your user name is a clue as to your age, then the George should be no problem to score as it will be packed with younger people most nights from 10pm onwards.

Clubs will be easier again as there are more cruisy opportunities (Sweatbox/Mother on Eustace Street every weekend, Profile, Bukakke, Euphoria and Daddi but they are monthly type nights rather than regular.

I’m 28.
    I do have Grindr but we all know that can be hit & miss.

Not big into going to clubs, particularly alone but I guess it’s worth a try

I’m 28.
    I do have Grindr but we all know that can be hit & miss.

Not big into going to clubs, particularly alone but I guess it’s worth a try

Nobody will really notice youre alone, if thats what youre worried about. Its crowded and everyones drunk, and a lot of guys go alone anyway

Its easy to find somebody at prhomo(most people at it are under about 22 though)/mother which is same venue but different night of the week for people in the 18-30 category

Nobody will really notice youre alone, if thats what youre worried about. Its crowded and everyones drunk, and a lot of guys go alone anyway

Its easy to find somebody at prhomo(most people at it are under about 22 though)/mother which is same venue but different night of the week for people in the 18-30 category

AFAIK mother is 21+, 23+ in reality

Where is prhomo?

• Advertisement

Where is prhomo?

The hub dame lane

You might feel a bit past it at prhomo though, when I was around 22 I started feeling too old for it. I think Mother is a better night overall.

Advertisement