Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    How do I do a pm

if you can't figure out what space said..... i just sent you a pm you can hit reply

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Hi guys, brand new here only 2 years trying to set up account .I think I suffer from techslexyia lol. Met el capitano today Benny 79 through work and hey presto ..Anyway can I have a spot in your what looks like brill society
    Ah Jaysus, 65 at last you have been bending my ear for 4 years about getting on here, welcome. My work circumstances have changed in the last month so i am planning to join my self this year. Great courses Capt. Dooks n Pints, mmmmmmmmm, thats this years Jollier 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Seve OB wrote: »
    if you can't figure out what space said..... i just sent you a pm you can hit reply

Did you get my info ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 philippejost

Hi All,
    I've had the pleasure of finishing a round @ Corballys a few weeks ago with some of you and the Society seems fun.
    Seve I'll pm you my details, can you add me to the Group ? Not sure I'll be able to come to all venues as I have a Young son and a non-golf playing wife, but will do my best and course selection looks amazing.

See you soon and if anyone is interested in playing around Dublin even before february, let me know. I moved here only a few months ago and am already tired of playing by myself :)

Philippe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

That was myself and 2 more of the lads here (Was some slow day that day!)

Great to see you coming on here and hope to see you at some of the events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Great line up and with alot of them close to home I can't wait to get back playing golf with boards after a hiatus for a year or too. Best of luck with your year benny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Hi All,
    I've had the pleasure of finishing a round @ Corballys a few weeks ago with some of you....

I was also one of the guys out there on that slow day!

Philippejost's ball striking around Corballis was a joy to watch! Split the middle with a really well-struck 2iron, shot after shot, well able to pitch and putt too!

I've set all the new requests up on Teamer now.
    Exception being Kingswood Rover, I've sent you a pm as you didn't give me email or mobile number

Best thing to do folks is download the teamer app and you will get notifications of outings through that

good to see a few ladies back in the society, new faces and old. Where is Poppy gone????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭benny79

Most welcome Philippejost and good to have you back Offalymedic.

Actually, I'm not sure it is adding you in Phillipe. maybe we just need to try when you get your irish number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Seve OB wrote: »
    I've set all the new requests up on Teamer now.
    Exception being Kingswood Rover, I've sent you a pm as you didn't give me email or mobile number

Best thing to do folks is download the teamer app and you will get notifications of outings through that

good to see a few ladies back in the society, new faces and old. Where is Poppy gone????

Just sent those details via a PM Seve:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭Glebee

Lads, im going to take the plunge and get involved as well. Might not to get all outing but will try to make most. How do I get involved?:)

Glebee wrote: »
    Lads, im going to take the plunge and get involved as well. Might not to get all outing but will try to make most. How do I get involved?:)

Welcome aboard Glebee dont worry not everyone makes all the outings! As Steve said above download the Teamer app and send steve a pm with your details etc handicap if you have one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Looking to get out more too so I'll drop a PM come the new year, won't make every outing but not much we can do about that

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Asimo1

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of joining too. Just created an account for it. As I play too often on my own these days. Just wondering do you guys have a website or more info about the society itself? How many on average come to an outing, how many members are there? etc. Also how do I join?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Asimo1 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of joining too. Just created an account for it. As I play too often on my own these days. Just wondering do you guys have a website or more info about the society itself? How many on average come to an outing, how many members are there? etc. Also how do I join?
    This should give you the bulk of the info you need on the society:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057510992/1/#post97446839

To get yourself added to the Teamer app you'll need to send a private message to SeveOB with your name, phone number, handicap (if you have one). I might be missing a piece of info there, the required info is somewhere within this thread.

I'd say that the numbers at outings probably range from 15-25 normally & outings would probably be 95% members with the odd visitor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Was thinking i might join up as well this year. Need to get out more, and play some different courses. Not 100% on the first round, as i'm currently car-less, but will see how that works out.

Kiith wrote: »
    Was thinking i might join up as well this year. Need to get out more, and play some different courses. Not 100% on the first round, as i'm currently car-less, but will see how that works out.

Depending on where you're based, there may be someone happy to give you a lift?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, if that's possible i'd take the lift. Based in Kildare, but can get up to Dublin easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Long time observer of sociery and also hoping to join up this year. Would anyone be travelling from South East direction (Kilkenny/Carlow) direction could split the driving send me a PM.

• Advertisement

lads I will run a car pooling thread next to each outing thread so lads and ladies maybe able to arrange lifts. As I have notice people travelling more or less the same direction at outings and money towards travel costs is always a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

if already answered apologies for asking again... how/when do we pay the €30 join up fee?

if already answered apologies for asking again... how/when do we pay the €30 join up fee?

Most people pay it at the first outing they attend of the year alongside the green fee that day

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Most people pay it at the first outing they attend of the year alongside the green fee that day

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Do you run a PayPal account to pay join up fee as I'd like to pay before 1st outing as if paying with 1st outing it feels an expensive day

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

E-5
    Alternative to Stroke and Distance for Lost Ball or Ball Out of Bounds

Purpose. When a provisional ball has not been played, significant issues with pace of play can result for a player needing to take stroke-and-distance relief for a ball that is out of bounds or cannot be found. The purpose of this Local Rule is to allow a Committee to provide an extra relief option that allows a player to play on without returning to the location of the previous stroke.

The Local Rule is appropriate for general play where golfers are playing casual rounds or playing their own competitions. The Local Rule is not appropriate for competitions limited to highly skilled players (that is, professional competitions and elite amateur competitions). For guidance on when and how this Local Rule may be used in order for scores to be submitted for handicapping purposes, consult the rules or recommendations contained within the Handicap System operating in the local jurisdiction.

Where a Committee has introduced such a Local Rule for general play, and removes it for competitions, it should ensure that all players are aware of this before play begins.

A Committee may introduce such a Local Rule for all play on the course or only for one or two specific holes where it may be especially useful (for example, where players are unable to see the landing area and therefore may not know whether or not to play a provisional ball).

This option allows the player to drop in a large area between the point where the ball is estimated to have come to rest or gone out of bounds and the edge of the fairway of the hole being played that is not nearer the hole.

The player gets two penalty strokes when using this relief option. This means that the relief is comparable to what could have been achieved if the player had taken stroke-and-distance relief.

This Local Rule cannot be used for an unplayable ball, or for a ball that is known or virtually certain to be in a penalty area.

If a provisional ball is played and neither the original ball nor the provisional ball can be found, then the Local Rule may be applied for the provisional ball that cannot be found.

I am curious to know if the committee for the Boards Golf Society will adopt this rule for competitions or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Any idea what the green fees might be this year as there are a few fairly expensive links on the list!

Fees are announced at start of month for each outing as it depends on numbers, but this year it is averaging out at €40 give or take €5 each one Captains be dearer obviously.

Do you run a PayPal account to pay join up fee as I'd like to pay before 1st outing as if paying with 1st outing it feels an expensive day

No sorry golfhead. You don't have to pay the full joining fee the first outing, but most do to get it over with.

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    No sorry golfhead. You don't have to pay the full joining fee the first outing, but most do to get it over with.

i think we gave an option to pay in 2 installments.

i don't think it has ever happened though, everyone always pays up front.

take your 30 blips out of the ATM now, and stick it in a glass somewhere. can't be that hard to budget

Advertisement