Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite True Crime Stories

• 05-10-2018 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Lets kick it off with, what are peoples favorite true crime stories.
    I am a fan of Podcasts and have a long list of favorites. It is hard to pick one story, but if I had to I would "In the Dark" season 2. Although season 1 is also very good, season 2 just caught my attention more.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi uncommon_name, I've moved your thread across to the main True Crime forum :) Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I recently listened to Little Girl Lost: The Murder of Leann Holland. Excellent podcast with lots of twists and turns, still officially unsolved. I've also been listening/watching Marcia Clarke Investigates the First 48. She was the prosecutor in the OJ Simpson case and she reexamines some high profile cases, such as Casee Anthony. Really loved them, would love to see more of them, there's only 9 episodes I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Two favourites are probably The Staircase and S Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The disappearance of Johnny Gosch

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Feel free to start a thread on these so that we can get to the meat and bones of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

rawn wrote: »
    I recently listened to Little Girl Lost: The Murder of Leann Holland. Excellent podcast with lots of twists and turns, still officially unsolved. I've also been listening/watching Marcia Clarke Investigates the First 48. She was the prosecutor in the OJ Simpson case and she reexamines some high profile cases, such as Casee Anthony. Really loved them, would love to see more of them, there's only 9 episodes I think.

There's 2 I haven't heard of. I must add them to my list to :) Cheers

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Two favourites are probably The Staircase and S Town.

Surprisingly S-Town is in my top 5. Very unusual and gripping storyline. I wish there was more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

The death of JonBenét Ramsey.

There's 2 I haven't heard of. I must add them to my list to :) Cheers

No problem! The Marcia Clarke shows are hard to find online, i only found one place that streams it, I'm not sure if I can name it here but feel free to pm me! The podcasts are on Spotify, it's worth your time to watch/listen to both as they cover a lot of different material.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I'm also a fan of podcasts. I'm currently listening to Teacher's Pet. It's really quite gripping!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Teachers Pet
    Someone Knows Something seasons 1 and 2
    In the Dark (both seasons)
    West Cork (Audible)

All fantastic podcasts that follow some really interesting and gripping stories.

My work commutes just got more interesting!

I especially recommend In The Dark. Some great investigative journalism and the host Madeleine Baran is really easy to listen to!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Can anyone reccomend a true crime podcast, preferably not an American one. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

thebull85 wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend a true crime podcast, preferably not an American one. Thanks.

Casefile
    Teacher's Pet
    Both are Australian....Casefile does deal with crimes from the US at times

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mens Rea is an Irish One

Minds of Madness is Canadian

They Walk Among Us and True Crime Enthusiast, UK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Surprisingly S-Town is in my top 5. Very unusual and gripping storyline. I wish there was more like it.

I wouldn't have said that S-Town is true crime :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Cheers folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

"Casefile True Crime" really is fab. There is a new case every week. Australian bloke narrates it. Covers major crimes.

Some of my favourite episodes are:

Mr. Cruel (creepy sh1te)
    The East Area Rapist. This is 5 episodes, gripping and harrowing stuff.
    The Toy Box

• Registered Users Posts: 20 fj4400

Fully agree with casefile ... Fantastic ... Wrongful conviction is another great podcast ... Crime related

• Advertisement

Casefile is amazing. The Silk Road series was absolutely fantastic. He also did a great job on the Moors Murders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

I recently listened to Little Girl Lost: The Murder of Leann Holland. Excellent podcast with lots of twists and turns, still officially unsolved. .

Oddly enough I was reading this post earlier so I went looking for a documentary rather than podcast (I like true crime, I just prefer docs to pods)

Anyway.... I got the spelling wrong and it brought up Leanne Holland instead of Leann.

Different nation entirely and not a mystery but coincidentally really sad all the same.
    Just thought I'd post it here seeing as your post indirectly led me to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Quhe00fL0as

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

East area rapist is probably my favourite true crime story. First listened to it on Casefile and have since watched multiple documentaries and podcasts about it. Probably helped that after almost 40 years that it was finally solved 6 months after I'd listened to it. Crazy how it went on for so long.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

Just started the Mens Rea podcasts, #1 Elaine Dwyer.

So much information that id never heard before, very interesting 1st episode..

Thanks for putting me onto these podcasts.

They did the Elaine Dwyer in Casefile as well. Was good, different perspective.

I'll check. Out the mens rea podcast! Thx

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The Crawford Family murder is one that fascinated me since I read a book on in in 2005, while backpacking in Australia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_family_murder

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cardshark

American Kingpin, a.k.a DPR, a.k.a The Dread Pirate Roberts.

If you liked the Silk Road series, you will love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Casefile
    Teacher's Pet
    Both are Australian....Casefile does deal with crimes from the US at times

These are excellent. Also death in ice valley and ratline if you’re going down the podcast route. The ratline is about a nazi on the run after the war really interesting.

I’ll be gone in the dark is a book about the golden state killer or east area rapist as he was also known. Joseph DeAngelo was recently unmasked as him after some 40 years, casefile podcast also did a number of episodes on him before anybody knew his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,879 ✭✭✭pavb2

Some podcast recommendations

Insight a true crime podcast

UK True Crime Podcast

Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder

If anyone is looking for something a little different try Dr Death. It's a true story of a surgeon in America that maimed and killed so many people in surgery that investigators genuinely thought he was an imposter. The bureaucracy of the American healthcare system saw him simply moved from hospital to hospital for years rather than deal with him. This was actually more recent than you'd think, he was only sentenced 2 or 3 years ago.

• Advertisement

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Teachers Pet
    Someone Knows Something seasons 1 and 2
    In the Dark (both seasons)
    West Cork (Audible)

All fantastic podcasts that follow some really interesting and gripping stories.

Haven't got around to west cork yet. The others are very good though.

The teacher's pet story line is brilliant, I just don't think it is told very well. That is just my opinion though.

Advertisement