Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now Ye're Talking - to a forest manager

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 53 Verified rep I'm a Forest Manager, AMA

fepper wrote:
    Would you think the sentence in the legalisation that by law you have to replant after clear fall,ie.keep your land in forestry forever is a huge turn off especially to farmers even though it might be left in forestry forever anyway without being forced by a law,it kind of creates a nanny state attitude.....

yeah I personally think it shouldn't be in law however I can see why it is there, the government has paid you vast sums of money to convert agricultural land to forestry and they don't want it to be just thrown back to agriculture when you have gotten the benefit of a clearfell from the land (which is significant)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

yeah I personally think it shouldn't be in law however I can see why it is there, the government has paid you vast sums of money to convert agricultural land to forestry and they don't want it to be just thrown back to agriculture when you have gotten the benefit of a clearfell from the land (which is significant)

Thanks but in reality,the state doesn't own the land that grows the trees but is kind of leasing off the farmer for first fifteen years in the form of a premium payment and that's it with the added incentive that he can hopefully make money on the thinning/clearfell,but in reality is the states first intention to actually secure the growing rights on said land.....

fepper wrote:
    Thanks but in reality,the state doesn't own the land that grows the trees but is kind of leasing off the farmer for first fifteen years in the form of a premium payment and that's it with the added incentive that he can hopefully make money on the thinning/clearfell,but in reality is the states first intention to actually secure the growing rights on said land.....

I'd disagree with you since the farmer owns the land and owns the timber on the land

murpho999 wrote:
    Can you see the wood for the trees?

definitely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Because a forest here can be ready to harvest in 30 years as opposed to 60 70 80 years on the continent, there are other systems that are coming in, for example a continuous cover system where the forest is effectively thinned in perpetuity while managing natural regeneration and carrying out supplemental planting,

That's good to hear, entire areas felled do feel shocking. Will this continuous cover system be noticeable (or just a small fraction)?

• Advertisement

strandroad wrote:
    That's good to hear, entire areas felled do feel shocking. Will this continuous cover system be noticeable (or just a small fraction)?

It's hard to say and it will require expertise in that area because it ain't easy managing that system, I'd say it will be a small fraction coillte have a couple of CCF stands around the country and there are a few private ones too

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Hi, what surprises me about forestry in this country is the amount of waste left after clear fell. Locally some of this was baled up and a few loads were taken most of it is still on roadside a few years later. Is it not viable as biofuel or is there any plant that makes it into briquettes in this country? Or could some of it not be cut into shorter lengths and sold off for firewood on the roadside?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BarryD2 wrote:
    In France, Germany, Belgium etc., you see a different type of forest management. It's as if the forest is managed over decades and centuries even. They seem to thin and clear fell smaller plots at a time, so the overall effect is more like a patchwork. In Ireland, we seem to have more of a slash and burn type of management. A plantation is established, there is thinning but then the whole lot is often just cleared and replanted. This has a much greater impact on the landscape, environment and wildlife etc., and usually not a good one. Can the 'European' model be used in Ireland and/or why not?

because the growth rates for comercial timber in ireland is much better than in Europe, in fact the fastest growing forests in Europe are in ireland
    Doesn't fast growth rates lead to poor quality timber though?

Why in your opinion is there so little interest for the govt / coillte / others in reforesting Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

exactly as you said many areas in the West are not suited to other systems as if you open up to much they will be on the floor

Yes.. but you haven't really addressed my query as to whether you as a forestry manager or planner/ advisor can adopt any strategy that would avoid this!!

Put simply, Irish forestry seems to be 'stuck' in the idea of managing the plantation as a conventional farm crop.

Is there anyone out there trying to manage plantations differently, so as to lessen the impacts on the landscape.
    Because a forest here can be ready to harvest in 30 years as opposed to 60 70 80 years on the continent, there are other systems that are coming in, for example a continuous cover system where the forest is effectively thinned in perpetuity while managing natural regeneration and carrying out supplemental planting,

Well, maybe you have! This continuous cover system sounds like what we should ideally be aiming for.

Hi, what surprises me about forestry in this country is the amount of waste left after clear fell. Locally some of this was baled up and a few loads were taken most of it is still on roadside a few years later. Is it not viable as biofuel or is there any plant that makes it into briquettes in this country? Or could some of it not be cut into shorter lengths and sold off for firewood on the roadside?

it comes down to economics really it costs you as much as you will make from bailing and extracting the brash from a clearfell, the downside to doing that is you are removing dead wood from the site which will host fungi and insects and decompose into the ground

WIT ran some studies a few years back looking into brash bailing and stump removal but it proved possible and very difficult as I recall

• Advertisement

Doesn't fast growth rates lead to poor quality timber though?

knotts in timber is what really affects the structural integrity of timber, the problem in ireland is that there is no premium paid for timber which has been pruned so as to minimise these knotts therefore there is no incentive for a forest owner to carry out that type of management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Melodeon

knotts in timber is what really affects the structural integrity of timber, the problem in ireland is that there is no premium paid for timber which has been pruned so as to minimise these knotts therefore there is no incentive for a forest owner to carry out that type of management

If I many butt in; I've been at Teagasc forestry events where sawmill procurement managers were quite happy to tell us 2 things:
    1. They're delighted to get high pruned logs in as it yields them higher value timber products to sell.
    2. They will pay not 1 single cent extra to the producer for these logs.

Would you have sold Collymore if you had been there in 1994?

for 8.5 million at the time ? to right I would have ! no way they could keep him with man u and Liverpool hunting him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What's your knowledge about converting timber to Biochar like?
    Have you even heard tell of Biochar before?
    Is it something that's talked about in the forestry community?
    How do you see Biochar and the forestry community progressing in the country?

What's your knowledge about converting timber to Biochar like? Have you even heard tell of Biochar before? Is it something that's talked about in the forestry community? How do you see Biochar and the forestry community progressing in the country?

nearly non existent that's an end product I grow the raw materials :)

ForestFire wrote:
    Anyway, someone ask about native tress, but I did not see anything spefic on Ash tress, and the desease spreading throughout Europe. Are our hurleys safe?

you'd be surprised to know that a lot of Hurley ash actually comes from England and I heard of it being imported from Romania also, don't be thinking your oul shtick is a native one !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I might be breaking the rules of not asking a question. :)

But Biochar has also been used as a prevention aid for ash trees against ash die back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it comes down to economics really it costs you as much as you will make from bailing and extracting the brash from a clearfell

is that the same as swarf?, or is that more the leftover branches etc rather than the chippings from sawing. My wife current works for a papermill on the largest forestry plantation in the world and they reckon the swarf alone can generate a continuous 200MW of power. Anything like that in Ireland?
    faster growth means less dense though so only suitable for cheap low end product, no?

But Biochar has also been used as a prevention aid for ash trees against ash die back.

ah I remember seeing that on country file ! not practical though

faster growth means less dense though so only suitable for cheap low end product, no?

faster growth rates do not determine density in spruce as they are not corolated, growing faster just means more wood is produced in a growing season

• Advertisement

is that the same as swarf?, or is that more the leftover branches etc rather than the chippings from sawing. My wife current works for a papermill on the largest forestry plantation in the world and they reckon the swarf alone can generate a continuous 200MW of power. Anything like that in Ireland?

we do carry out biomass harvesting on sites that does remove the brash/swarf, it is chipped and transported to ESB power station where it is burned to generate electricity, however you can only carry this out on sites where the ground bearing capacity is good enough to hold up machines (without the brash to drive on)

august12 wrote:
    You have more or less answered it for me, I didn't realise the profit was that high from clear felling to replanting, that gives approx, 80 to 90% profit, have recently purchased 9.5ha plantation giving approx, 4500 euro grant, this was an accidental purchase as came as part of farm purchase, planted 9 years now, any idea what the potential income at clearfell would be? Don't have a forestry advisor, should I appoint one now or wait until first thinning, whenever that would be,

is it planted with Broadleaf or coniferous trees ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You obviously see all types of land planted, do you see good land being planted and think it’s a shame that it’s lost to farming forever ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

you'd be surprised to know that a lot of Hurley ash actually comes from England and I heard of it being imported from Romania also, don't be thinking your oul shtick is a native one !

As Ash Dieback is more prominent all across Europe, I would think that the supply of 25-35 year old, healthy ash for hurleys will dry up in the next 10 years, Anything planted in Ireland or Europe in the last 15 years will not survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Does the forest manager shít in the woods?

if he does he'd better bury it.

tim

_Brian wrote: »
    You obviously see all types of land planted, do you see good land being planted and think it’s a shame that it’s lost to farming forever ?

I suppose it depends on what your definition of good ground is ?

in general i would always advise people to plant their marginal land, you know typically dominated by rushes ect nobody wants to see tillage fields planted

but in general we need to get away from the concept of the farmer loosing this ground forever as you said, a forest is a crop just like grass wheat or barley and should be treated as such the farmer does not loose anything he gains a crop of trees which generates money and to be fair it is a bit more predictable than if you plant a field of wheat or raise a suckler cow you do not know if you will make money untill you cut the crop or bring the cow to the mart/slaughter

As Ash Dieback is more prominent all across Europe, I would think that the supply of 25-35 year old, healthy ash for hurleys will dry up in the next 10 years, Anything planted in Ireland or Europe in the last 15 years will not survive.

Teagasc are running trials trying to find resistant provinances of ash to grow so there is hope yet !

if he does he'd better bury it.

tim

of coarse tim :D

Italian Alder is a lovely tree but the money is in spruce forests

Hmmmm?
    money in the spruce forests????
    Yes I'd agree for those who use contractors and forestry companies, spruce is a money maker.
    BUT!!!
    For a man/woman who likes to do the forestry work themselves, for folk who wish to add value to the timber before selling....
    THEN I'd suggest that spruce is FAR from ideal.
    For example
    Larch planted as a nurse to oak at home here in Tang has proved profitable and easy to add value to, with just a chainsaw round straining posts can be produced yielding perhaps 10 euro per tree, as we have a small sawmill we also make sawn posts, and rough boards for trailer floors sheds etc.

Sycamore grows quickly and makes wonderful firewood, at 75 euro for a builders bag full seasoned thats far more money than would be yielded selling the thinnings, and with a relatively short rotation for hardwoods will yield valuable timber in your childrens lifetimes.
    etc etc

Further to this I'd suggest that although making money is important, what we are doing as foresters is growing trees, and so many folk in Ireland seem to have lost sight of this. It is vital when planting that we have a vision for the end use of the timber.

tim

What's your knowledge about converting timber to Biochar like?
    Have you even heard tell of Biochar before?
    Is it something that's talked about in the forestry community?
    How do you see Biochar and the forestry community progressing in the country?

Hi Say,
    I make biochar here in Tang its a byproduct from our charcoal production, we make BBQ fuel, Biochar, and High fixed Carbon content 25-50mm graded forge fuel for blacksmiths.

tim

Thanks for doing this.

Do you think there could be an opportunity to create public walks and cycle paths (Greenways even) through forests in the future if the local governments were to perhaps offer to collaborate with private or public forestry services or will forestry land remain somewhat private land? (Even on the outskirts of woodland?)

• Advertisement

Should the grower of the raw materials not have significant knowledge of the likely end uses for his product???

Perhaps you know something about logs for veneer???
    the best veneer logs make 5 figure sums.

What about end uses for more typical hardwood logs? what do you know about the requirements of the joinery/furniture trade?

Lawson Cypress for example, end use for this? Known as Port Orford Cedar it is a preferred wood for making arrow shafts for recreational archers, is rot resistant, planes and finishes beautifully, smells wonderful when cut, ideal for coffins, blanket boxes etc etc.

tim

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement