Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cricket World Cup Qualifiers

• 01-03-2018 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it would be worth having a separate thread for the WC Qualifiers which start this Sunday. Only 2 teams qualify so a tough task for Ireland

Group A
    West Indies
    Ireland
    Netherlands
    PNG
    UAE

Group B
    Zimbabwe
    Afghanistan
    Scotland
    Hong Kong
    Nepal

Ireland Fixtures
    March 4th v Netherlands
    March 6th v PNG
    March 10th v West Indies
    March 12th v UAE

Irelands game with the West Indies is live on Sky Sports and they also will show Super Six matches. I imagine they may have more games but not sure which. Not sure what other streaming arrangements are in place but will update this thread in due course

Top 3 from each group qualify for super six and will play 3 further games v top 3 from the other group. Results against the other two teams that qualify from the group will carry forward to the Super Six stage

Top 2 in the Super Six qualify for the final and more importantly the World Cup next year in England.

PP Odds to qualify
    West Indies 8/13
    Afghanistan 4/6
    Zimbabwe 7/4
    Ireland 15/8
    Scotland 10/1
    Netherlands 10/1

Important for Ireland to win all its group games with the exception of West Indies (although would be great to win that too) and then have to beat both Zimbabwe and Afghanistan in the Super Six.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The weather could really mess everything up, are there any reserve days?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The weather could really mess everything up, are there any reserve days?

It's taking place in Zimbabwe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's taking place in Zimbabwe.
    Yes I know, and the weather has been poor there lately and the forecast is not good. Here's the rain forecast for the afternoon of the 4th when we play the Netherlands

2018030200H066_AF00_SFC.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

A fantastic run of results leading into the tournament is a positive. But it’s a tough competition and whoever qualifies will need to play exceptionally well and be lucky with matches that may not be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As a at best casual liker of cricket could someone explain how the WIndies are in qualifiers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I would guess windies were ranked outside the top 8 whenever this qualification tournament was decided on. There was outcry when they decided to go back to a closed shop 10 team tournament if I remember correctly, the qualification was added to give those outside the traditional 10 a chance of playing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,494 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ireland 48/0 after 10

60/1 stirling out for 20. 14 overs

112/2 (27.1). Porterfield was out lbw for 47. Run rate seems low but no idea what is good on these pitches as yet

228/4 after 44

• Advertisement

KOB out 229/5

Wilson out 229/6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Once again, thank you cricket forum. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue about this. And I live in NL. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Could get to 280 maybe? Would seem a very competitive total, would be strong favorites at least.

Uh oh balbirnie out for 67 we wanted him there till the end.

243/7 after 47

11 off the last over and Ireland finish on 268/7

By way of a comparison. Afghanistan made 255 all out in 49.4 v Scotland. Zimbabwe a massive 380/6 against Nepal. UAE on 221/9 after 49 v PNG.

I reckon it's round about a par score. Gonna be v tight.

Rain delay before start of dutch innings

Revised target. 243 from 41 overs.

Great start, wicket 3rd ball. Netherlands 3/1 after 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That chap they got out scored well in the warm up matches, anyone know how many overs need to be bowled to get a result?

• Advertisement

18/1 after 4 overs.

Could be an upset on the cards in the other group. Scotland 139/2 after 27 chasing 256 to beat Afghanistan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I see this guy Baresi has an ODI strike rate of over 75. Imperative to get him out before too much damage done.

I see this guy Baresi has an ODI strike rate of over 75. Imperative to get him out before too much damage done.

He's out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

KevIRL wrote: »
    He's out
    nice :D

30/2 after 7. Ryan ten Doeschate in and is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Completely forgot about this. Which Sky station is showing it? Or any other English language channel will do

Collie D wrote: »
    Completely forgot about this. Which Sky station is showing it? Or any other English language channel will do

Not on anywhere afaik. Sky showing the windies game next Saturday alright and the super 6 stage onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not on anywhere afaik. Sky showing the windies game next Saturday alright and the super 6 stage onwards

I see the West Indies game on Saturday is also being shown on Sky Sports Mix

(The 'free' channel which can be viewed on Sky and Virgin Media without a Sky Sports Sub)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Scotland 185-2 off 35, would love to see them beat the cheating afghans

Advertisement