Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Grass Measuring Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Mooooo wrote: »
    What would the cover of 2250 been at at closing. As in winter would heavier covers grow more or less than lighter covers iykwim?

It was 500 at closing iirc.
    It'll be probably be end of Feb before I've the mouths to graze it properly
    That's an exceptional variety and bred to grow over winter. Typical winter growth here would be 5-6 but we've had an exceptional winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭f140

any chance of a summary, I was too lazy to read it all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

f140 wrote: »
    any chance of a summary, I was too lazy to read it all

Don't put n on heavy covers,wait till they're grazed before applying n. Organic matter is extremely important for the soil

Don't put n on heavy covers,wait till they're grazed before applying n. Organic matter is extremely important for the soil

Wouldn't agree re heavy covers. They need N more than any other cover. No energy left for regrowths once grazed. If the N is spread now and there grazed in 4-5 weeks time they are r day to grow once there grazed

• Advertisement

Wouldn't agree re heavy covers. They need N more than any other cover. No energy left for regrowths once grazed. If the N is spread now and there grazed in 4-5 weeks time they are r day to grow once there grazed

Im just summarising what the article said ....would n not be working now on the heavy covers making them even heavier and then there would be less n left for regrowths

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Just clicked into this thread to post a question and see now might be bang on topic!

Have a paddock that closed off early in autumn to save for suckler cows and calves end Feb/start of March. Nice bit of grass on it now. Don't generally spread fertiliser here early in Spring but wondering should I spread urea on it now to have more grass on it in few weeks when grazing or graze it and then spread after in March?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

For those interested in grass recording, there is a link in the following tweet for an explanation and some helpful notes on understanding the figures as well.

https://twitter.com/JohnMor320d/status/823621744233771008

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Just clicked into this thread to post a question and see now might be bang on topic!

Have a paddock that closed off early in autumn to save for suckler cows and calves end Feb/start of March. Nice bit of grass on it now. Don't generally spread fertiliser here early in Spring but wondering should I spread urea on it now to have more grass on it in few weeks when grazing or graze it and then spread after in March?

We covered the whole place last week with urea. I'd get a bit out. Not a general rule but you have to play what's in front of you. Last year we had nothing out before the end of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭alps

Lots of rain for thursday, so that would want to be on the ground Tuesday morning...window closing for the time being I reckon....

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    Lots of rain for thursday, so that would want to be on the ground Tuesday morning...window closing for the time being I reckon....

Didn't check the forecast before i posted. Alps is right about window closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Grass result dry matter 21.7%, protein 21.5%, DMD 82%

Not too many feeds will compete with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Gras sample from a recently receeded paddock?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Late lactation cows who have just after been turfed out to grass, should I feed them only this or keep up the bit of maize at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    Late lactation cows who have just after been turfed out to grass, should I feed them only this or keep up the bit of maize at night?

I would keep in the maize would compliment the grass well, help hold condition.

Wasn't that field spread with fert long before sample taken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Gras sample from a recently receeded paddock?

Lots would its just they're considerably more expensive;)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

How did you get the figures? Grass sample to a lab or some home made operation?

Signpost wrote: »
    How did you get the figures? Grass sample to a lab or some home made operation?

Testing ours this afternoon with this new portable testing kit Glanbia have. I'll let you know what it comes back at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Was there any energy value given?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Was there any energy value given?

With results like above me 12.5 /13 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Sample from paddock 7 yrs seeded, unrea last week.

All I know is that result brings our AFC to >1000 and that we grew 5 per day instead of 3 as previously thought

No energy result. It illustrates the power of spring grass imv

• Registered Users Posts: 11,071 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

All I know is that result brings our AFC to >1000 and that we grew 5 per day instead of 3 as previously thought

Fully agree but wonder what would dm content drop to if we had a prolonged wet spell

If urea was out last week would that protein be artificially raised and be an issue to the cow? Would be interesting to see protein figure in 3 weeks assuming grass wasn't touched

Grass samples of 4 different paddocks this am.

Grass samples of 4 different paddocks this am.

I'd love to see a measure of the quality of those protein results. Moved maiden heifers to outfarm today. One paddock too strong for slurry during the week. They'll get another three days outside on it. Back in then for a few weeks. They spent the last week cleaning off the heaviest ground on the mp. It should be back for the end of first rotation when it's normally grazed for the first time most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Spread urea and covered same ground with half bag of 0 7 30 on grazing paddocks over week ago. Can see a noticeable difference in grass today after drop of rain over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

degetme wrote: »
    Spread urea and covered same ground with half bag of 0 7 30 on grazing paddocks over week ago. Can see a noticeable difference in grass today after drop of rain over night.

Would you not be afraid of grass tetany by applying the 30units of K now just before the cows go out?

Edit: only a half bag of 0 7 30.
    Crisis averted. I didn't read the post properly.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

New years resolution here to start measuring grass (again!). Made an attempt a few years ago but packed it up.

I have a plate meter and did a walk yesterday. Just wondering what formulas do fellas use with the plate meters? Looking back at the one I used a few years back, it was:
    (((Final Reading-Initial Reading)/No. of Samples)*140)-1000=KG dm/ha

No idea where I got that from, so could be way out!

Advertisement