Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Retro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

ciara007 wrote: »

I bought the Canterbury Belles ones from BT's last week....the boxes are gone so small :o but the lights are amazing... I have one tree that's just vintage lights....no leds...it looks lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Posy wrote: »
    These encompass my memories of Christmas in the 80's/90's

UOOozoS.jpg?1

q1tbgBU.jpg?1

and making these in school

r1g4Sp5.png?1

Great photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,169 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

41352608_10161128404555268_9130622742083665920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6c642d233e6208cd62d01c8fe70be95d&oe=5C2248C5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I remember my first selection box.....it was red with a real picture of Santy on it. For the life of me I can't find a photo. It was between 1975 and 78 when I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

My mother always put up bunches of balloons on the ceiling, the smell of balloons still reminds me of christmas.
    I love vintage Christmas lights leds just don't cut it. I would love to find the old carriage lights but also love the lantern lights.
    One of my favourite memories is going to school at night to do the Christmas play. The stage had red velvet curtains and a big gold star in the centre. I moved back to my home town a few years ago and my daughter finished out primary school there. I went to her Christmas play and they still had the same curtains and star. Major feels ♥

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh my god balloons on ceiling my mam did that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,820 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Loughc wrote: »
    Oh my god balloons on ceiling my mam did that too!

My Mam did too !

And I must admit that when the kids were small here , I used to put the decorations on the ceiling with the balloons in each corner :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

https://twitter.com/killianm2/status/1041710817358430209?s=21

This is an amazing find. Credit to Killianm2 on Twitter.

#allthefeels

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭DvB

That looks slightly different to the other 2 penneys ones I have downloaded & in my christmas advert playlist (yes, I have a christmas advert playist of all my favourite crimbo adverts over the years) Must see if I can get a download of that one too!

Great find that!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I think you need to share that playlist, DvB!

• Advertisement

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think you need to share that playlist, DvB!

I second this! :)

Tell you what, will check in when on the PC at home again & see what I have. Its very much my own personal favourites & may not have what everyone else would expect. Pretty sure most of them (if not all) are readily available on YouTube too BTW.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I was a child of the 70s and 80s so this YouTube video has loads of products as I remember them :)

https://youtu.be/LGpsmoAzlZo

Such happy days.

I also remember these in our house but never see them anywhere these days.

Here's another one for you. The news and some ads on December 22nd 1984. I still remember that Christmas vividly (I was 9 at the time).
    I even remember seeing Close Encounters of the Third Kind the following afternoon in a relative's house (one of the first ads in the link)
    Christmas was magical back then but I think a lot of it is because I was a kid. Now I have my own children and am experiencing that same joy all over again.

https://youtu.be/Ih1FZTsw2ao

Another link for that same date.

https://youtu.be/u6YIDsOedxw

Still my most favourite Christmas as I shall discuss in detail over the next few months :)

2d6r0p3.jpg

When are these coming back into fashion? I used to love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I saw someone tweeting about them. They’re definitely available this year. I’ll see if I can find the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Found it! Not in Ireland unfortunately, but Dealz or any of the pound shops might be worth a try if they're back in production.

https://twitter.com/dresserman/status/1063383475389116417

Couldn't find them on the Asda website but Wilko has an entire section dedicated to 'Christmas Foils and Tinsel'. Only one foil garland though.

Dealz and Eurogiant generally stock the foil decorations.
    I saw them in Dealz a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Reminisced this morning over a cuppa with my mam about all of these totally forgot about the balloons on the ceiling it made me laugh
    I loved cream soda too and all the TK lemonades,
    On Christmas Eve I would always have my lemonade out of a grown ups glass I thought I was great and so sophisticated :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Loughc wrote: »
    2d6r0p3.jpg

When are these coming back into fashion? I used to love them.
    I've always had them. They were my favourite as a child so I bought my own for my bedroom as a teen and I've had them ever since. But they are back this year. I've seen them in Homestore and Dealz.

They've being in Home Store with the last few years.
    I saw them in Woodies last year and they were expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Probably not PC now but I'm old enough to remember cigarettes came in Christmas wrapping. 50 cigs in a high quality tin or plastic box that was great for holding your crayons/coloured pencils!

Seven Worlds will Collide

Definitely saw these over the weekend in Blanchardstown, either woodies or Homestore & More.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have them up in our kitchen since the weekend. Need to get a pic up. They have a weird plastic smell that brings me back, plus the sound when putting them up. We have only had them since last year, and we did our kitchen with them spanning in to each corner with a star or tree in each quadrant. When we had people over from different parts of the world their faces were hilarious when the entered the kitchen, saying oh how lovely but clearly thinking we were mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I didn’t realise they went out if fashion, I think they add a lovely finishing touch to the room at Christmas. We even have a ceding fan like your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Jude13 wrote: »
    We have them up in our kitchen since the weekend. Need to get a pic up. They have a weird plastic smell that brings me back, plus the sound when putting them up. We have only had them since last year, and we did our kitchen with them spanning in to each corner with a star or tree in each quadrant. When we had people over from different parts of the world their faces were hilarious when the entered the kitchen, saying oh how lovely but clearly thinking we were mental.

This made me laugh out loud..it must have been hilarious watching their reactions 🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I'm thinking about getting some - the kids would love them. I remember having them at Christmas in our house - I used to love them. And they'd fit in with my "Christmas puked on my house" theme :P

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Can anyone remember an advert from the 1980s where a man walks into a shop looking for the perfect glass (if memory serves me correctly), and proceeds to drink from a bottle of sherry or cognac and then walks out of the shop without buying anything and just giving a cheery Merry Christmas.
    I can't find it on YouTube but I think it was for Harvey's Bristol Cream
    Hopefully someone here remembers it, it's driving me mad, would love to see it again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

DeniG2 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember an advert from the 1980s where a man walks into a shop looking for the perfect glass (if memory serves me correctly), and proceeds to drink from a bottle of sherry or cognac and then walks out of the shop without buying anything and just giving a cheery Merry Christmas.
    I can't find it on YouTube but I think it was for Harvey's Bristol Cream
    Hopefully someone here remembers it, it's driving me mad, would love to see it again

@DeniG2...You started me off hunting for Harvey's...and look what I found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRdOzesKjjY

Warning - adult language

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Day Lewin wrote: »

Warning - adult language

love that ad!

I'm not even sure if the advert I'm thinking of is even a Harvey's ad, it might be Blacktower, Henneseys Cognac etc

• Advertisement

Day Lewin wrote: »

Warning - adult language

I have never seen that before! Or if I did I've forgotten. But thank you, got a great laugh out of it.

Advertisement