Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Arizona Cardinals thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sportstar583

Look forward to watching Fitz on tv tomorrow. I remember watching him in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Big game tomorrow. Can't wait for it. Palmer playing well. Fitz flying. Chris Johnson running amok. Big difference to when we went there last year. Unreal that Ellington is only second string. We have serious depth in most positions. Bar QB,though in fairness there are worse backups than Stanton. We've just got to keep praying that Palmer stays healthy. If he does who knows where we could go... And also Mathieu!! What a player.

Great game and great result. It was a huge game for Palmer, bouncing back from those 2 fumbles in the 4th quarter to lead the game winning drives.
    In the 2 losses he messed up on the go-ahead drives so to pull it out this time in Seattle against a team with the momentum was huge!
    Look forward to watching Fitz on tv tomorrow. I remember watching him in college.

Hope you enjoyed watching Fitz again - he was immense and has been all season!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DaithiMa

Super win again tonight. Talk about making a statement!! Wasn't expecting to hammer them but Freeney and Campbell destroyed the Packers o-line. Brilliant to have a bye sorted and still have a chance of home advantage all the way through.

Personally I'd wrap Palmer and Johnson in cotton wool until the play-offs but can't see Arians resting them vs the Seahawks with the no.1 seed still up for grabs. Good to see Ellington back fit too-he is another quality weapon to have in our arsenal. We should fear nobody in the post season. Hopefully we can win it for the Honey Badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DaithiMa

Bless me Brucey for I have sinned. It has almost been two years since my last confession!! Seriously though, it is easy to post when things are good. Bar last week's win things have been anything but.

Travelled to Twickenham for the Rams game. I drank more pints than we scored. Not hard in fairness.

So now we have Blaine Gabbert at QB. Arians will have to be some whisperer to stop him leaking interceptions.

I think the worst thing is that we still have an outside chance of making the playoffs. Anything has been known to happen in the NFL, but the Cards making the post season is not one of them. Our defence is good. We have a legend at WR. Gresham and Seals Jones are two serious tight ends. Kerwynn Williams look small but effective (thats what my mot once told me :P) at running back. Hopefully get another win at the weekend to prolong the agony ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

Hey, I've been a fan of the Cards coming off the back of the 2008 season. I had passive interest in the game in 2007 as I've family from the US, but the SB vs the Steelers is where Larry Fitz & Anquan Boldin both really stood out to me. From there on out I fell in love with the game & started supporting the Cardinals, haven't looked back on either ever since.

I was bloody distraught almost when I couldn't get over to London for the Rams game, just as well I didn't go as of the result I suppose. Sad to see Arians & CP3 both retire, however.

But hopefully the future looks bright. I like the attitude of Steve Wilks & at least we have a QBOTF in Josh Rosen. I just wish we could have put together a better 2016 after playing so well in 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, I went to the London game, it was a poor showing, although I had good craic with a lot of the US Cards fans that came over!

I'm heading over for the week 4 game at home to the Seahawks, I can't wait for a few early Sunday morning beers on the Great Lawn again!!!:D

Although I see they've renamed the stadium to State Farm Stadium. At least people will stop thinking they play in a college stadium now, hopefully!

Ah, I'd gotten used to the UOP stadium. I've never been to see the team play in AZ, but it's certainly on my bucket list. I've priced it before & it worked out at a few hundred but the seats in the stadium were all the way up in row Z.

Going over to see the Hawks get munched by the Raiders in October as my mate is an Oakland fan. Pity Kalil Mack isn't there to smash Wilson.

Hopefully we do well under Wilks. I'd say the days of us Blitzing galore are gone though with the retirement of Arians & the rest of last year's coaching staff. I'm not expecting too much from us this year, or next year for that matter as that'll be Rosen's 1st year at QB as starter (most likely). But in the long run, we'll see how the new system fairs out.

Here's my view from the nosebleeds, still a savage view. That was Sunday night football in the 2016 opener against the Pats. $110!

460389.jpg

Wow, it really is. When you go onto the teams website & use the seating map it doesn't look anything like that. That's impressive.

And ah yes, I remember that game quite well. I stayed up for it full of hope for the year after a stellar 2015. I think we'd lost Daryl Washington, Calais Campbell (Maybe) & DJ Swearinger in the off-season. That dang long snapper at the end of the game. We'd have won it & everything & who knows how the season might have panned out after that!? Haha.

Hope you had a ball, though!

Well I'm actually a Pats fan so yes, I had a ball. Cards would be my second team! I've mates living in Phoenix, so I've free accommodation when I'm over there, and 2 of the lads are season ticket holders, so I get brought to proper tailgating!

You'll get flights with British Airways return for less than €600, a couple of nights accommodation and a game ticket for about €100.

I'm going for 6 nights this time, but 3 of the lads are going over for only 3 nights. I think it's madness, but doable! Arizona State University are at home to Oregon State, so we're gonna go to that on the Saturday as well!

• Advertisement

Last week was absolutely poison. And I don't think this week will be any better. We need to sort out that Defense & address the WR position. Chad Williams does not seem like he's cut out for the big time. Dez Bryant is a FA, no harm in trying to acquire him, even if it's on a 2 year deal. That way, we can address the O-Line in next years draft & target a WR of the future the year after.

DM1292 wrote: »
    Last week was absolutely poison. And I don't think this week will be any better. We need to sort out that Defense & address the WR position. Chad Williams does not seem like he's cut out for the big time. Dez Bryant is a FA, no harm in trying to acquire him, even if it's on a 2 year deal. That way, we can address the O-Line in next years draft & target a WR of the future the year after.

Not looking forward to this week after London last year but hopefully we can figure out what works best and develop some potential for the rest of the season! We need to get the TE’s more involved and then make some room for the WR’s and DJ coming out of the backfield.

dougal wrote: »
    Not looking forward to this week after London last year but hopefully we can figure out what works best and develop some potential for the rest of the season! We need to get the TE’s more involved and then make some room for the WR’s and DJ coming out of the backfield.

We were WAY too reliant on DJ last weekend. Even in the passing game. I'd to switch from the actual game to the Redzone after the 1st quarter. Bloody Adrian Peterson running all over us in Q1, he couldn't even do that for us last season so that'll show you just how bad we were at stopping the run. Did you go over for the game? Our receiving corps are no use really. We've Larry Fitz & that's about it. Steve Keim has some serious explaining to do if we go 4-12 or lower this season, heck even if we go 5-11. Chad Williams doesn't look up to it. I hope Gresham is back this weekend & him & Seals-Jones can get involved more.

Did you go over to London last year? I couldn't make it as of work.

We were WAY too reliant on DJ last weekend. Even in the passing game. I'd to switch from the actual game to the Redzone after the 1st quarter. Bloody Adrian Peterson running all over us in Q1, he couldn't even do that for us last season so that'll show you just how bad we were at stopping the run. Did you go over for the game? Our receiving corps are no use really. We've Larry Fitz & that's about it. Steve Keim has some serious explaining to do if we go 4-12 or lower this season, heck even if we go 5-11. Chad Williams doesn't look up to it. I hope Gresham is back this weekend & him & Seals-Jones can get involved more.

Did you go over to London last year? I couldn't make it as of work.
    Yes went over to London with some friends over from Phoenix! Used to be a season ticket over there but Twickenham was probably the worst I’ve seen them play! We need to get better on the OL and maybe the coaches can develop the receivers and see how things go! We have to play better this week and hopefully get up to 7-9 or 6-10!

Yes went over to London with some friends over from Phoenix! Used to be a season ticket over there but Twickenham was probably the worst I’ve seen them play! We need to get better on the OL and maybe the coaches can develop the receivers and see how things go! We have to play better this week and hopefully get up to 7-9 or 6-10!

I had us down for 6-10 or 7-9 before the season started. Based on last week we look more like a 5-11. We'll see, but I'm not a fan of this recieveing core. Fingers crossed Chad Williams improves, same can be said with Nelson.

Slight improvement last Sunday, I'm looking forward to seeing Rosen in the flesh for his first start!

Go Cards!!!

infacteh wrote: »
    Slight improvement last Sunday, I'm looking forward to seeing Rosen in the flesh for his first start!

Go Cards!!!

Same here. But that call to put him into the game at the end of the 4th was absolutely stupid. This coaching staff looks so incompetent at the minute. No wonder we're ranked 32/32 in the power rankings.

A win with a 75 yard touchdown after falling behind is good. I won’t go into details of the rest of the offensive play but this game was encouraging for defense! 5 turnovers will win any game and the team will have to improve from here!

Well a new Offensive coordinator is better than none! So now hopefully a season with a future rater than a draft pick battle! The first pick 6 was unlucky for Rosen but after that there was wasn’t a method.

Well a new Offensive coordinator is better than none! So now hopefully a season with a future rater than a draft pick battle! The first pick 6 was unlucky for Rosen but after that there was wasn’t a method.

Honestly, I can't see Leftwich just magically turning things around. Fitzgerald would be right to retire at the end of the season & it'd clear some cap space. I think we've 90mill going into next season so no harm in picking up the best FA WR available.

This season is a car crash, although no one expected to be good. Wilks looks totally inept, hiring an OC like McCoy who was fired mid-season last year was bonkers. Anyway, we'll see how things fare out. I wouldn't include this season when judging Rosen in a few years time. He should have been left on the bench regardless. This can't be good for him as the receivers keep dropping passes. The D isn't overly bad, Tre Boston has had a good year thus far, as has Chandler and Pat-P. Budda will be class as well.

I think we can beat San Fran this week, I just hope to see improvement on the offense!

• Advertisement

Honestly, I can't see Leftwich just magically turning things around. Fitzgerald would be right to retire at the end of the season & it'd clear some cap space.

This season is a car crash, although no one expected to be good. Wilks looks totally inept, hiring an OC like McCoy who was fired mid-season last year was bonkers. Anyway, we'll see how things fare out. I wouldn't include this season when judging Rosen in a few years time.

I think we can beat San Fran this week, I just hope to see improvement on the offense!

I don’t think that Leftwich will do much but a bit of variety would be something.

As the (bad) title suggests, I wouldn't be overly happy with this. But can you really blame him? He's in his prime & probably wants to go somewhere where he can get a ring. Plus, he's playing in a 4-3 scheme which he's not used to, as are many of the defense actually.

If he does leave before the trade deadline, this is not good news for my AZ Cardinals jersey! But I've got a few years out of it which isn't so bad either. :cool:

As the (bad) title suggests, I wouldn't be overly happy with this. But can you really blame him? He's in his prime & probably wants to go somewhere where he can get a ring. Plus, he's playing in a 4-3 scheme which he's not used to, as are many of the defense actually.

If he does leave before the trade deadline, this is not good news for my AZ Cardinals jersey! But I've got a few years out of it which isn't so bad either. :cool:
    The one thing to say about Sundays win was that Leftwich did a great job getting Fitz and Johnson going and Rosen will have his confidence built up by a 4th quarter comeback!
    Anytime you can win after losing on turnovers and giving up a safety is great!
    A bye week now so plenty to work on so hopefully we can get a bit better for the rest of the season.

Yahoo A WIN is a win! Unbelievable trip to Wisconsin and a great result! Things are definitely on the way up so hopefully a few improvements in the remaining weeks to let us figure out what we can get to in 2019!

Fitz throwing a touchdown pass and nearly getting to overtime in Seattle and the first pick in the draft under a new Head coach are the few good things from the last few weeks. So now see where we can get to this off-season!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

I’d be very surprised if Arizona choose No1. I know Bosa is one of these ‘generational’ players we’re hear about every year but I see one of Raiders, Giants & Jags trading up to get their QB.
    Although wouldn’t be surprised if Gruden went up to take Bosa either.

Although the team were very poor during the year, I was surprised Wilkes was fired. He can't be that much different than the coach they hired 12 months ago. Keim is now on to his 4th HC I think, and after the drink driving conviction during the off season, I thought he would have been more under the spotlight.

infacteh wrote: »
    Although the team were very poor during the year, I was surprised Wilkes was fired. He can't be that much different than the coach they hired 12 months ago. Keim is now on to his 4th HC I think, and after the drink driving conviction during the off season, I thought he would have been more under the spotlight.
    The appointment last year of Wilks was in hope that he could help on the defensive side but when that wasn’t enough then a new direction was needed. The way that the league is going a lot of variety on offense and speed on defense is what’s needed so the next coach will have a lot to build on but hopefully will be able to find the players to get things moving in the right direction!

I’d be very surprised if Arizona choose No1. I know Bosa is one of these ‘generational’ players we’re hear about every year but I see one of Raiders, Giants & Jags trading up to get their QB.
    Although wouldn’t be surprised if Gruden went up to take Bosa either.

Well Draft week and so much speculation about our first pick.
    Trading Rosen and picking Kyler Murray.
    I think that this is just media bigging up this possibility but it doesn't really make sense unless we get so many picks that makes our rebuilding possible quicker.
    Quinnen Williams would be my pick as we do need to build the defensive line and defense wins Super Bowls as was shown in the last one.
    If not then Bosa or Josh Allen might be liked by Kingsbury.
    Well it is always fun and regardless of who we do pick it will take a couple of years to build this team into a playoff contender.

• Advertisement

So keeping Rosen and picking Murray will make the competition at QB interesting. Or maybe a trade is in the pipeline for day 2.
    The NFC West will be interesting anyway.
    So now to see who we pick at 33. Staying at Oklahoma maybe Cody Ford OL. Him or Jawaan Taylor.
    Others available are Corner backs Byron Murphy or Greedy Williams.
    We also need WR and TE so lots of options.

Advertisement