Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie Scientists and Researchers

• 26-07-2008 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm just conducting a quick survey on the demograph of boards.ie scientists, perhaps with a view to creating a new forum.

At the moment I'm trying to find out who is out there working in the area of basic science (in any field).

The forum would be for researchers who wish to discuss/trade protocols, help each other troubleshoot assays, point each others towards references and basically act as a point where researchers could meet and help each other out.

In order for this to work, we would need both a starting population of scientists and a group who would be interested in helping the forum grow inthe community (maybe a bit of pimping among friends and colleagues).

So if you're a student, grad student, postdoc, faculty member, research assistant, technician, doctor or conducting science in any field, please post and let us know where you are and what area you're in (you can kep it broad in terms of discipline)

GY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I did a PhD in molecular biology and a post-doc in Molecular diagnostic development and proteomincs (lots of MALDI-TOF Mass Spec :)).

I currently work as a medical writer in a medical communications agency.

EDIT: Great idea and a great idea for a new professional scientists forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

BSc. in Pharmacology. Just graduated so as of yet I'm not in any area.

Not much use am I!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Working on my BSc in applied maths and stats, currently working as a data assistant on the Incredible years project :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

Just finished a BSc in Genetics. Hoping to do a masters/PhD in systems biology, bioinformatics, biotechnology or another related area.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'm a food scientist, with a PhD in microbiology. Mostly involved in food safety research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

Count me in. BSc in Theoretical Physics (UCD), MA, DPhil (Oxon). Currently a senior research fellow working on quantum information processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

cool. I'm BSc Analytical Science..... and i'm working in Medical Diagnostics... A designated forum would be wicked :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

Sound like a great idea.
    Ph.D Microbiology/Molecular Biology, lecturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Previously studied Physics. Am studying Economics these days. Was it scientists or "scientists" that you were interested in? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Technical Officer - Research. Also in the last stages of completing a PhD (in a specific field in forensics).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

OK this is really encouraging. I'm going to post more information on this shortly.

Quick question, does anyone work in a research institute, be it academic or industry? I know about the Conway, I assume Cork, Galway, Limerick and Belfast all have university researc institutes.

What abot physical sciences, DCU has one, right?

What I'm thinking about may require people willing to spam the real world (as opposed to real world people coming here and spamming us)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

B.Sc. in Biology, currently completing a PhD in Immunology.

+1 for this idea.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

B.Eng in Aeronautical Engineering

Currently putting finishing touches to Ph.D thesis on fluid mechanics

I'm working for a research institute in UL as a junior research fellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

GuanYin wrote: »
    Quick question, does anyone work in a research institute, be it academic or industry? I know about the Conway, I assume Cork, Galway, Limerick and Belfast all have university researc institutes.

I'm in the Institute of Neuroscience in TCD, my postgrad was in Zoology but I'm in the Admin side of things now - if you want the word spread, just let me know.

There's also the CRANN Institute here but don't know any fellow boardsie's based there...

Institutes @ NUI Maynooth

Institute of Immunology (Bioscience)
    Institute for Bioengineering and Agroecology (Bioscience)
    The Hamilton Institute (Maths, Computational, Physical Sciences)

In collaboration with DCU and IT Tallaght

National Institute of Cellular Biotechnology (NICB)

I know there are a few more researching boards.ies here.

The idea is to set up a researchers forum. Ideally it would be a place for people involved in research to help each other troubleshoot, share protocols/tips, suggest references and discuss reagents, experimental design and other such day to days in research.

We have working models of this in the US, as ireland is growing in Science, now may be the ideal time to try it here.

Ideally I'd like to hear from posters involved in research of each of the disciplines and what they think the forum could contribute to their field. It is pretty obvious for biology and chemsitry, what about the other research areas?

Ideally I'd like to hear from posters involved in research of each of the disciplines and what they think the forum could contribute to their field. It is pretty obvious for biology and chemsitry, what about the other research areas?

Many mathematical methods are shared across the physical and social sciences. They are altered a bit to suit the typical type of data handled in each but there might be something useful in being able to dip into knowledge from a broad range of applications. It's more indirect than direct, but I know in just physics and economics there are a lot of similarities with techniques used to examine data in both as well as interesting examples of taking techniques that seem very limited in one field and finding applications elsewhere, hysteresis effects being a case and point with regard to physics and economics for instance. The type of models that are very useful in examining magnetism in metals happen to be very useful in examining the behaviour of unemployment etc, essentially both share similar historical/path-dependent influences on the movement of what we can measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 amyelmo

BSc. Biotechnology, Clinical Biochemist (Nuclear Medicine & Endocrinology labs), Basic research: PhD in molecular biology (primarily electron microscopy) at European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) in Germany.

nesf wrote: »
    Many mathematical methods are shared across the physical and social sciences. They are altered a bit to suit the typical type of data handled in each but there might be something useful in being able to dip into knowledge from a broad range of applications. It's more indirect than direct, but I know in just physics and economics there are a lot of similarities with techniques used to examine data in both as well as interesting examples of taking techniques that seem very limited in one field and finding applications elsewhere, hysteresis effects being a case and point with regard to physics and economics for instance. The type of models that are very useful in examining magnetism in metals happen to be very useful in examining the behaviour of unemployment etc, essentially both share similar historical/path-dependent influences on the movement of what we can measure.

Ok, but would such a forum lend itself to helping each other with these models?

Ok, but would such a forum lend itself to helping each other with these models?

Well, the straightforward approach would simply be asking for a synopsis of a particular model or links to a few good papers on the topic. Which is useful enough considering how time consuming finding a few good papers on a topic you've never seen before is (never mind in a field you're not well acquainted with). It's nothing huge or anything but it strikes me as something that might occasionally be useful for people. It's no substitute for being able to sit down with someone from the field and discussing a model in-depth with them but it's better than progressing blindly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Starting an M-pseudo-sc in Economics this year.

:D

I very much intend to enter the research field of economics, so I guess that would make me a scientist of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

BSc Biotechnology
    BSc (H) Applied Biology with QM
    Nearly finished PhD Food Microbiology & Molecular Epidemiology, (UCD)

Member of Institute for Food Safety and Technology, Ireland (MIFSTI)
    Member of the Society for General Microbiology (MSGM)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Starting my PhD on the 1st of september, just finished my chemistry degree, going to be working in organocatalysis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Science Teacher, many young scientist backings.

Amazing how many proud mammys are out there, with all those Phd's ect.

Is this advertised in other areas? where there are other capable contributors?

Great Idea mate

ligertigon wrote: »
    Is this advertised in other areas? where there are other capable contributors?
    GuanYin has added a Category announcement. Next step is real-world spamming. I can certainly get this forum advertised in the NUI Maynooth Biology Department anyway :) I could easily get it into TCD as well as I'm on very good terms with a good number of the Professors in Biological sciences over there :) There are probably other bods here who work in TCD however so they can just post an announcement on their own noticeboards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

Another researcher here. I would rather not go into specifics about what I do or have done.

I think such a forum would be helpful for general research questions and would definitely be interested in partaking.

fits wrote: »
    Another researcher here. I would rather not go into specifics about what I do or have done.

I think such a forum would be helpful for general research questions and would definitely be interested in partaking.

At least tell us what branch of science you work in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sandals2008

I'm at the Regenerative Medicine Institute (REMEDI) at NUI Galway. Research Engineer in final stages of PhD (I hope!!). There's also National Centre for Biomedical Engineering Science (NCBES), DERI loads of others too. I think it would be a really useful forum for all science/medical/engineering folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I have just completed an MSc (Hons) in Cell and Molecular Biology and I'm starting a PhD in Molecular Medicine (TCD/St.James' Hospital) come September.

This is a great idea, will spread the word as best I can. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Bsc Hons in Natural Sciences, MSc by Research in Science. Now working in a lab and doing several different bits and pieces including molecular work. Sorry don't want to be too specific in case anyone knows me :pac:

Advertisement