Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

ASOT wrote: »
    Breazeale said the ref stopped the fight too early, I think Wilder gave him brain damage.

He would have needed another 5 minutes to recover from that knock down. As soon as Breazeale got to his feet after about 9 /10 seconds he tilted and fell straight on to the ropes.

Ref might have saved his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Well that was a short night! Got ticket off stubhub for $75 which as less than what Ticketmaster were asking and got there on perfect time to see the annual fight for Gary Russell. Last saw him exactly 2 years ago in his hometown and while he is an excellent tactician only fighting once a year is damaging his prospects. However his inaction does not mean he is ring rusty.

Thought this was a fascinating match up and yet it seems so long ago that Kiko dropped Dunne and he's still competitive. Here he was outmatched though and unable to compete with Russell's superior hand speed and being picked off at will in the first and second. At the end of the second Kiko ate a huge left that had him wobbling. His combinations were hurting Kiko and he was targeting that cut over his left eye which led to the stoppage.

After the Champ called out Santa Cruz by showing off his specially embroidered robe and made some interesting comments about Davis and Berchelt. Hope he fights again this year against the former.

IMG-6358.jpg

Before the main event a tribute to Harold Lederman:

IMG-6361.jpg

Spectacular entrance for Wilder and the crowd were in full voice for him. Over here his comments didn't seem to affect his popularity which is an indictment on how life is cheap in certain areas here.

Breazeale just didn't look in shape and was being out matched before being obliterated by that inevitable right hand. It could be argued that he beat the count but I think the referee was right here. Obviously not much else to report! At least the crowd went home happy, if a bit early, this time as opposed to the Crawford Khan shenanigans!

The post fight interview after I thought was a bit bizarre. Jim Gray was saying that Breazeale etc were not what the fans wanted to see so no wonder he then snubbed him for an interview. Yet he then interviews Luis Ortiz! Who really wants to see a rematch there with Wilder? Yes he troubled him but that would be a hard sell.

IMG-6363.jpg

IMG-6365.jpg

IMG-6366.jpg

IMG-6369.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

But yes if AJ catches him square its lights out.

When has AJ ever knocked anyone's lights out though? He's not a particularly big puncher imo. Nowhere near as concussive as Wilder anyway. Joshua is just a really good finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Morrison J wrote: »
    When has AJ ever knocked anyone's lights out though? He's not a particularly big puncher imo. Nowhere near as concussive as Wilder anyway. Joshua is just a really good finisher.

It's usually a flush crisp shot that has opponents on queer street. And from there in it's a few more shots till they're down. It's a different way to get to lights out but it's as good as lights out nonetheless. You can't do this fight after fight without being a big puncher.

Put simply Joshua hits plenty hard enough to be more than just a really good finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

It's usually a flush crisp shot that has opponents on queer street. And from there in it's a few more shots till they're down. It's a different way to get to lights out but it's as good as lights out nonetheless. You can't do this fight after fight without being a big puncher.

Put simply Joshua hits plenty hard enough to be more than just a really good finisher.

Almost any hw will hit hard enough to finish the fight. I think aj stuns wilder and doesn’t let him off the hook like Ortiz did. Aj is a good finisher.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Almost any hw will hit hard enough to finish the fight. I think aj stuns wilder and doesn’t let him off the hook like Ortiz did. Aj is a good finisher.

True most can bang to some extent. But its only a minority who are consistently doing it at the top level. To do this you have to be a hard hitter.

Rather than letting wilder off the hook I'd be of the view that Ortiz just simply ran out of time another 30 seconds and things could have been much different. The bell ringing gave wilder the time to recover and Ortiz the time to realise how tired he was.

He pretty much emptied the tank in rd7 and couldn't muster much in the way of sustained offence for the remaining rounds thereafter.

I'd just much rather be a one punch lights out guy than a guy who needs to stun and then finish. Wilder is dangerous when hurt because he's always just one punch away. He's also shown he's got the heart and toughness to be difficult to put away when hurt.

I think it's a pretty tough matchup for Joshua tbh.

I'd just much rather be a one punch lights out guy than a guy who needs to stun and then finish. Wilder is dangerous when hurt because he's always just one punch away. He's also shown he's got the heart and toughness to be difficult to put away when hurt.

I think it's a pretty tough matchup for Joshua tbh.

I agree with you here.
    It's a tough matchup for both in my view.

I really hope it gets made as it has the potential to be a monumental fight.

True most can bang to some extent. But its only a minority who are consistently doing it at the top level. To do this you have to be a hard hitter.

Rather than letting wilder off the hook I'd be of the view that Ortiz just simply ran out of time another 30 seconds and things could have been much different. The bell ringing gave wilder the time to recover and Ortiz the time to realise how tired he was.

He pretty much emptied the tank in rd7 and couldn't muster much in the way of sustained offence for the remaining rounds thereafter.

Yep I’m happy to accept that correction on the Ortiz fight. It’s a great prospect
    In other news I’ve just watched Joyce Ustinov what a terrible fight. I can’t wait until Joyce fight someone that’s going to fight back and he gets iced

I posted this about the charr vs ustinov fight over a year ago:

"Rd10 consisting of charr literally doing laps of the ring for a minute and a half before ustinov finally grabbed ahold of him and playfully slapped him a couple of times with the palm of his glove was the point at which my will to continue watching faded."

It's the first fight I've ever watched live that I had to turn off.

When I seen he was fighting Joyce I said to myself that's one to just watch a highlight vid on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Have to disagree ,

Wilder beats AJ all day,

AJ doesn't move his head, he gets hit a lot he takes one to give one ( see the Wlad fight) and against Wilder that means your getting dropped,

Fury moves his head the best in the division and that why Wilder will always have trouble with him,

I can't believe you've been getting away with saying that utter rubbish for virtually the entirety of this thread.

You don't like Joshua. Fine. But don't flat out lie about him because you don't like him. Joshua does NOT get hit a lot. That is indisputable. Yet you somehow keep repeating it here as if saying so will make it come true.

You mention the Klitchko fight. Joshua won all the first four rounds by outboxing a master boxer. That takes serious skill levels. It also means he wasn't getting hit a lot. And he wasn't! The whole dynamic of the fight changed in the 5th and 6th. While people correctly give out that Vlad didn't go flat out to finish Joshua, I thought Joshua's defensive/survival work in the 7th and 8th when he was still shook and under serious pressure was very impressive. He really frustrated Vlad and Vlad struggled to land anything of note when he knew he had Joshua ripe for the taking. That takes some doing.

Bad defensive fighters get hit often.
    Bad defensive fighters get hit with obvious punches.
    Bad defensive fighters get hit with the same punches over and over again.
    Bad defensive fighters don't adapt.

I would classify Joshua as a very solid defensive fighter. Good guard, good balance, blocks punches well, good sense of distance and most of all, very similar to Vlad, he has that little two step back which he does very effectively and makes him very hard to reach. This is what I believe will prevent Wilder's very obvious 1-2 from landing. And basically Wilder's only real offense is the basic 1-2 when his opponent isn't punching.

He won't outjab Joshua, even Vlad couldn't do that. So he will be lunging with the 1-2 and will have that same confused look on his face that he had against Fury. The only difference will be his knowledge that Joshua hits hard. Much, much harder than Fury and because of that he will be backing off much more than against Fury. He will get more and more wild and I predict at some stage Joshua will block the right had with his high left and counter with a short right of his own as Wilder lunges in and that will either be the end or beginning of the end.

All this talk of power, power, power makes me wonder has a former regular poster on here created multiple accounts and come back to haunt us. Boxing is always about skill first. Joshua's skill levels are light years ahead of Wilder's and he can punch as well. Give me skills over power any day, but skills with power is the best combination of them all. Joshua will win this fight when it happens. And it will happen.

Ok well if we're getting technical what I mean by 'lights out' is once he hits his opponent square they're stunned / partially knocked out on their feet and he usually finishes them with a flurry of punches often culminating with a final uppercut. Then its lights out.

Lights out, knocked out, seeing stars whatever they don't get up for a while and he wins.

:pac:

That's the difference with Wilder.

AJ catches Wilder square on the chin - AJ still has work to do to close the deal. Opportunity for opponent to recover.
    Wilder catches AJ square - Its over. (99% of the time excluding Fury)

Folks can question his overall boxing skills as much as they want but he is a one punch finisher and that's why IMO he will beat AJ whenever they do meet sometime this century.

Joshua has got the balance, footwork and defence advantages. He’s a top hw and therefore easily has the power if he connects. He throws very good combinations and he will adapt his game to suit himself against an opponent. He will also weigh 20 lbs heavier

Wilder has the edge on power in terms of single shots. He’s very quick and agile. His reach is huge and deceptive. He might well have better stamina.

Both have got heart and have weathered storms.

Cases can be made for both and that’s what makes the fight. I think Joshua has more ways to win. I’d like there to be rematch clauses for both

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

megadodge wrote: »
    I can't believe you've been getting away with saying that utter rubbish for virtually the entirety of this thread.

You don't like Joshua. Fine. But don't flat out lie about him because you don't like him. Joshua does NOT get hit a lot. That is indisputable. Yet you somehow keep repeating it here as if saying so will make it come true.

You mention the Klitchko fight. Joshua won all the first four rounds by outboxing a master boxer. That takes serious skill levels. It also means he wasn't getting hit a lot. And he wasn't! The whole dynamic of the fight changed in the 5th and 6th. While people correctly give out that Vlad didn't go flat out to finish Joshua, I thought Joshua's defensive/survival work in the 7th and 8th when he was still shook and under serious pressure was very impressive. He really frustrated Vlad and Vlad struggled to land anything of note when he knew he had Joshua ripe for the taking. That takes some doing.

Bad defensive fighters get hit with obvious punches.
    Bad defensive fighters get hit with the same punches over and over again.

I would classify Joshua as a very solid defensive fighter. Good guard, good balance, blocks punches well, good sense of distance and most of all, very similar to Vlad, he has that little two step back which he does very effectively and makes him very hard to reach. This is what I believe will prevent Wilder's very obvious 1-2 from landing. And basically Wilder's only real offense is the basic 1-2 when his opponent isn't punching.

He won't outjab Joshua, even Vlad couldn't do that. So he will be lunging with the 1-2 and will have that same confused look on his face that he had against Fury. The only difference will be his knowledge that Joshua hits hard. Much, much harder than Fury and because of that he will be backing off much more than against Fury. He will get more and more wild and I predict at some stage Joshua will block the right had with his high left and counter with a short right of his own as Wilder lunges in and that will either be the end or beginning of the end.

All this talk of power, power, power makes me wonder has a former regular poster on here created multiple accounts and come back to haunt us. Boxing is always about skill first. Joshua's skill levels are light years ahead of Wilder's and he can punch as well. Give me skills over power any day, but skills with power is the best combination of them all. Joshua will win this fight when it happens. And it will happen.

I don't hate Aj at all but he with his style he gets hit more often than any of the top 3 , Ye he has a very good jab \and hits hard himself but if you get hit often v Wilder your beaten

For instance Wlad landed 18 power punches v Fury in 12 ronds ,
    He landed 44 power punches v AJ in 11

Ye he jabbed the head off people like smaller Parker and guess what even in that fight Parker landed more power punches than AJ did 46 - 52

AVP landed 43 power shots in 7 rounds v AJ (which was more than AJ ) and only 35 in 12 rounds v Wlad,

There is no question AJ gets hit more than other elite level fighters , He hasn't been hurt much but you can not afford to take shots v Wilder , no one can ,

Again Aj is obviously a good fighter but he is stiffer in his upper body movement than Wilder and Fury , Its not a knock its just a fact ,

I think his worst match up skill set wise is v Wilder,

Time will tell ,

I don't hate Aj at all but he with his style he gets hit more often than any of the top 3 , Ye he has a very good jab \and hits hard himself but if you get hit often v Wilder your beaten

Ye he jabbed the head off people like smaller Parker and guess what even in that fight Parker landed more power punches than AJ did 46 - 52

AVP landed 43 power shots in 7 rounds v AJ (which was more than AJ ) and only 35 in 12 rounds v Wlad,

There is no question AJ gets hit more than other elite level fighters , He hasn't been hurt much but you can not afford to take shots v Wilder , no one can ,

Again Aj is obviously a good fighter but he is stiffer in his upper body movement than Wilder and Fury , Its not a knock its just a fact ,

Time will tell ,

Good response there those power punch stats surprise me.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Good response there those power punch stats surprise me.

And that not even taking the Whyte fight into it when he was probably hit the most in his career ,

Aj is a good fighter but because he is English and Sky's golden gooses his skill set is not often adjectively looked at,

He gets hit a hell of the lot , He is very stiff upper body movement because of his frame and has little head movement,

His foot work, Is the big one that can be taken as good or bad ,

Its very European, he move's extremely well in the set pattern's he has worked on but he is not fluid , its good and smooth for a heavy weight but at the same time robotic as its 3 set pattern over and over,

Upside is he is a huge man often over looked how big he is and has a good chin and hits like a truck himself,

I think AJ has a great chance of beating Fury but I feel he is tailor made for Wilder,

Again these big guys anything an happen like we say with Fury v Wilder one bad move and Wilder can blast you out ,

We me included can give all our input but one badly time move or any bit of tiredness can cost you against Wilder (one shot) and AJ (if he hurts you he jumps on you)

I do feel Fury is the better boxer but lack his lack of stopping power evens it up for the other two ,

Anyone else notice Joshua has lost some muscle mass? He looks a bit more lean than a few years ago. Maybe its just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Anyone else notice Joshua has lost some muscle mass? He looks a bit more lean than a few years ago. Maybe its just me.

Think it's better myself

He looks a little less like a bodybuilder but was still almost 246lb in his last fight

Heaviest ever was 258lb I think, which was too heavy even for a guy his size

Like Wlad I think he fights best at 240-245 range

Time will tell ,

In your rush to condemn Joshua, you've just shot yourself in the foot.

When you quoted the 44 power punches Vlad landed on Joshua in 11 rounds I actually thought it was a typo, because the amount was so low!! I checked it out and nope, 44 power punches is all one of the most experienced and skilful heavyweight of recent times was able to land on a boxer who "is wide open", "gets hit a lot" and "has absolutely no defense" (according to you).

I'm genuinely not trying to put you down when I say that your boxing knowledge is limited if you think that Vlad landing an average of 4 power punches a round is actually a bad thing. And in order to prove that let's make a comparison.

Rather than compare with some well-known slugger, let's go all out and compare punchstats with one of the greatest defensive boxers of all time - Floyd Mayweather.

The very first fight that Google brings up when I type in 'punch stats Floyd Mayweather' is the Canelo fight.

https://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/15/4733806/mayweather-vs-canelo-results-compubox-stats-illustrate-dominant

I think we all agree (except for one blind judge) that Mayweather won this fight easily. Yet.... Canelo landed 73 power punches in 12 rounds! He landed 65 in 11 rounds! That's 21 punches MORE than Vlad landed on Joshua! Yet Joshua has "gets hit a lot". Huh?

Next up the Pacquiao fight.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2452449-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-analyzing-punch-stats-that-impacted-title-fight-results

Let's be honest, this was a stinker of a fight, with very few (realatively speaking) punches landed. Mayweather won clearly. Yet.... Pacman landed 63 power punches in 12 rounds!! On a great defensive figher? Huh?

Last but worst of all is the McGregor farce

http://www.irish-boxing.com/floyd-mayweather-v-conor-mcgregor-compubox-punch-stats/

Even facing a total novice making his pro boxing debut, Mayweather got hit with 84 power punches in under 10 rounds!! Using your 'logic' this Floyd fella must have been a face-first slugger who'll be dribbling through a straw pretty soon considering all the punches he took.

And before you bring it up again, no, I never said Joshua was a better defensive fighter than Fury. Never. I pulled you on the flagrant lies you keep spouting on this thread that Anthony Joshua has "absolutely no defense", "gets hit a lot" and "is wide open". The facts back me up.

And that not even taking the Whyte fight into it when he was probably hit the most in his career ,

The whyte fight? Really?

Joshua battered whyte in the 1st and for the first part of the 2nd.

He got pinged 3 parts of the way through the 2nd round and took a few shots after that, returned his own shots and then the bell rang.

The 3rd was cagey with both landing about the same. Whyte with some good body shots iirc.

From the 4th on Joshua began to get into his groove again and was well on top.

He hammered whyte in the 5th to the point that most pundits were very complementary of whytes ability to take a punch.

The fight ended with Joshua mocking and landing at will on the stricken whyte in the 7th.

I haven't seen the stats on the fight but I'd be absolutely amazed if this fight was where Joshua got hit the most in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I haven't seen the stats on the fight but I'd be absolutely amazed if this fight was where Joshua got hit the most in his career.

Most punches landed was Parker with 101 total, followed by Wlad with 94 & Whyte in 3rd with 71. Parker also had the most power punches with 52, Whyte in second with 45 & Wlad in 3rd with 44. As per compubox anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The whole dynamic of the fight changed in the 5th and 6th. While people correctly give out that Vlad didn't go flat out to finish Joshua, I thought Joshua's defensive/survival work in the 7th and 8th when he was still shook and under serious pressure was very impressive. He really frustrated Vlad and Vlad struggled to land anything of note when he knew he had Joshua ripe for the taking. That takes some doing.

Bad defensive fighters get hit with obvious punches..

Joshua's skill levels are light years ahead of Wilder's and he can punch as well. Give me skills over power any day, but skills with power is the best combination of them all. Joshua will win this fight when it happens. And it will happen.

I think a lot of credit must go to McCracken. He got the best out of Froch too, who wasn't the most techincally gifted boxer either.
    A friend of mine keeps saying Joshua has no head movement and is easily hit, but, as you point out, if that were the case Wlad would not have needed the killer instinct to win, as he could have got the knock out at any time during the fight.
    Wilder has the power to knock out Joshua, but I think Joshua will land first and have the ability to follow it up and produce the finish.

In your rush to condemn Joshua, you've just shot yourself in the foot.

When you quoted the 44 power punches Vlad landed on Joshua in 11 rounds I actually thought it was a typo, because the amount was so low!! I checked it out and nope, 44 power punches is all one of the most experienced and skilful heavyweight of recent times was able to land on a boxer who "is wide open", "gets hit a lot" and "has absolutely no defense" (according to you).

I'm genuinely not trying to put you down when I say that your boxing knowledge is limited if you think that Vlad landing an average of 4 power punches a round is actually a bad thing. And in order to prove that let's make a comparison.

Rather than compare with some well-known slugger, let's go all out and compare punchstats with one of the greatest defensive boxers of all time - Floyd Mayweather.

The very first fight that Google brings up when I type in 'punch stats Floyd Mayweather' is the Canelo fight.

https://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/15/4733806/mayweather-vs-canelo-results-compubox-stats-illustrate-dominant

I think we all agree (except for one blind judge) that Mayweather won this fight easily. Yet.... Canelo landed 73 power punches in 12 rounds! He landed 65 in 11 rounds! That's 21 punches MORE than Vlad landed on Joshua! Yet Joshua has "gets hit a lot". Huh?

Next up the Pacquiao fight.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2452449-mayweather-vs-pacquiao-analyzing-punch-stats-that-impacted-title-fight-results

Let's be honest, this was a stinker of a fight, with very few (realatively speaking) punches landed. Mayweather won clearly. Yet.... Pacman landed 63 power punches in 12 rounds!! On a great defensive figher? Huh?

Last but worst of all is the McGregor farce

http://www.irish-boxing.com/floyd-mayweather-v-conor-mcgregor-compubox-punch-stats/

Even facing a total novice making his pro boxing debut, Mayweather got hit with 84 power punches in under 10 rounds!! Using your 'logic' this Floyd fella must have been a face-first slugger who'll be dribbling through a straw pretty soon considering all the punches he took.

And before you bring it up again, no, I never said Joshua was a better defensive fighter than Fury. Never. I pulled you on the flagrant lies you keep spouting on this thread that Anthony Joshua has "absolutely no defense", "gets hit a lot" and "is wide open". The facts back me up.

You calling my knowledge out and then your comparing a heavy weight punch rate to Flyod , Pacman and Canelo :D

Do you not see the problem with comparing guys who are super heavy weights against small guys in punches landed, ? Smaller guys will throw double as many punches in 12 rounds,

Floyd v Pacman was suppose to be a bore with little action 439 & 429 thrown ,
    Aj v Wlad a barn burner 335 & 256 thrown never compare heavy weight to small weights,

I picked Wlad because AJ and Fury have both fought him and you can see the difference quite clearly ,

Don't forget Wlad hide behind his jab for 10 years was a play it safe boxer, Jab and grab and only throws the big shot when he is convinced it will land, Normally only takes one to finish the fight,

Again I'm not knocking AJ , I never said he had no defence, I just don't think its as good as the other two , Infact it could be better than Wilder but its still not good enough to stop Wilder landing

There is no question Aj is one of the top 3 in the world so i'm not calling him crap or anything like that but its fact he gets hit more a lot for a top 3 heavy weight , That is bad news if he fights Wilder ,

As I said I think Wilder ko's AJ but AJ has a great chance to stop Fury ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Would favour Wilder against Joshua.

Joshua would struggle to land against Wilder because he would throw very few punches because of Wilder's power. Joshua doesn't have one punch ko power.

Wilder just needs to connect with a big right hand & it could be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

also...it must be very hard to prepare for wilder...hes so unorthodox...what sparring partners can replicate him ?....its them wild swings from angles that arent prepared for....fury really is no joke....its funny to me, i seen fury box live a couple of times, back 10 yrs ago, and was convinced he'd never make it to world level, he had one awful borefest i remember on a bernard dunne undercard...yet, here he is...shows how little i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

dougm1970 wrote: »
    also...it must be very hard to prepare for wilder...hes so unorthodox...what sparring partners can replicate him ?....its them wild swings from angles that arent prepared for....fury really is no joke....its funny to me, i seen fury box live a couple of times, back 10 yrs ago, and was convinced he'd never make it to world level, he had one awful borefest i remember on a bernard dunne undercard...yet, here he is...shows how little i know.

Tyson Fury has come a long way since since then, but one thing has remained constant; his lack of power at the heavyweight level.
    Fury, if he had power would have cleaned Wilder out, given the way he was dominating him. Joshua, while not as slick as Fury, has the power and skill to get to Wilder. If Joshua stuns him, like Brezeale managed to, he will able to follow it up and get the stoppage.

Tyson Fury has come a long way since since then, but one thing has remained constant; his lack of power at the heavyweight level.
    Fury, if he had power would have cleaned Wilder out, given the way he was dominating him. Joshua, while not as slick as Fury, has the power and skill to get to Wilder. If Joshua stuns him, like Brezeale managed to, he will able to follow it up and get the stoppage.

Thats what makes things so intresting each of the 3 lack something that gives the others a real chance to beat them ,
    Currently they are miles ahead of the rest

There is no question AJ gets hit more than other elite level fighters

More FACTS for you.

These are the Compubox statistics for Joshua, Povetkin, Wilder & Fury just before their respective fights.

Please scroll down to the last three categories - Opponents Total Connect Percentage; Opponents Power Punch Connect Percentage; Opponents Total Punches Landed Per Round.

You're dead wrong!

https://roundbyroundboxing.com/heavyweight-final-4-compubox-inside-the-numbers/

fury really is no joke....its funny to me, i seen fury box live a couple of times, back 10 yrs ago, and was convinced he'd never make it to world level, he had one awful borefest i remember on a bernard dunne undercard...yet, here he is...shows how little i know.

He legit looked awful back then. Got to take into account that he was only 20 and didn't really have an extensive amateur career though. Has improved a hell of a lot over the years.

• Advertisement

More FACTS for you.

These are the Compubox statistics for Joshua, Povetkin, Wilder & Fury just before their respective fights.

Please scroll down to the last three categories - Opponents Total Connect Percentage; Opponents Power Punch Connect Percentage; Opponents Total Punches Landed Per Round.

You're dead wrong!

https://roundbyroundboxing.com/heavyweight-final-4-compubox-inside-the-numbers/

I'm not far wrong actually forget about AVP he's a tiny heavyweight on todays world , old and off the Jesus juice,

AJ is hit 7 times per round on average since turning pro
    Fury is hit 6 per round on average since turning pro
    Wilder is hit 7.5 times per round average since turning pro

These stats can be misleading for example it does not tell you what type of shots there being hit with ,

Wilder has 40 fights so he done a hell of a lot of learning on the job as pro early on, and to be fair he can afford to take a punch becaue if he lands ONE its over,

Fury also started his career as a completely different fighter he use to go in an slug it out, he says so himself that the fight with Steve Cunningham where he was dropped and in trouble is what made him change his style and that was his 22nd fight , Since then he has changed his style and looked great

AJ first 14 fights after wining Olympic gold didn't go outside 3 rounds and only 2 made it out of two rounds , he done great blasting people out

My point is sats are good if you use recent ones no point looking back at a stat that covers there whole career when all 3 had very different starts as Pro's and grew in different ways since then ,

Best to look at recent stats because that tells you where they are now and what happens when they fight high competition ,

Look as I said only time will tell but RECENT stats point to him being hittable more so than the other two ,

Again I don't know why you think I don't like AJ i'm just calling what I see
    He can still beat both of course but I fancy Wilder to land on him as other do only difference being if Wilder does its lights out ,

Advertisement