Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Penneys in Ireland

• 14-05-2019 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi I'm looking for the best Penneys to take my 15yr old daughter shopping in.

Looking a Penneys with a good choice in clothes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'm not a Penneys expert but the one in Galway city centre is a large store with a good selection, as is the Limerick city one.
    The biggest store is the one in Liffey Valley SC, and parking is free there which is a plus!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭LM4C

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'm not a Penneys expert but the one in Galway city centre is a large store with a good selection, as is the Limerick city one.
    The biggest store is the one in Liffey Valley SC, and parking is free there which is a plus!
    Thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to Fashion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Hands down Ballina (Mayo) is one of the biggest, and cleanest Penneys in the country. Castlebar's Penneys on the other hand........😞

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Penneys in Galway is a mess unless you’re there early and the one on the Headford Road is abysmal entirely. My personal favourite is newbridge. Spacious and modern without the crowds. You also have the whitewater shopping centre nearby for parking and other shops. My second favourite is Athlone. It’s got an insomnia cafe at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Liffey Valley Penneys is rubbish, It's a big store over 3 floors but the stock is so hit and miss. A lot of the nice stuff you see online doesn't make it to LV and if it does, there'll be 10 of it in one size and no other sizes at all. Even say pyjamas - they'll have a top in 8-10 and 12-14, and then the matching bottoms only 16-18! LV is my closest shopping centre but i don't bother with that Penneys any more.
    Best Penneys in Dublin is Mary Street IMO... huge and well stocked. Of the Dublin shopping centres if you don't want to trek into town, it's probably Blanchardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Hands down Ballina (Mayo) is one of the biggest, and cleanest Penneys in the country. Castlebar's Penneys on the other hand........😞

Couldn’t agree more. I’m from Dublin but spend a lot of time in Enniscrone and don’t bother with any of the Penneys up here. Always wait until I head to Ballina! Always so clean, well stocked and neat.

Blanchardstown Penneys is better than Liffey Valley. Its more spacious and better laid out. Feels bigger, but it's laid out over two floors rather than three. Swords is also a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Newbridge has a great Penneys, it's big and never feels too crowded. Athlone is good too. I like the one on Mary Street but it's claustrophobic at times with the crowds. The one on O'Connell street in Limerick is pretty good too, but again, really busy at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Mary St in Dublin surely. Its right underneath their headoffices so should be the flagship IMO. Not sure of the size difference between it and Liffey Valley but it cant be much.

• Advertisement

Does Mary street Penneys stock much of their make up. Daughter loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭red petal

Blanchardstown

LM4C wrote: »
    Does Mary street Penneys stock much of their make up. Daughter loves it.

Yes, much more than any of the other stores. It also has a SOSU kiosk and a nail bar, among other stuff.

It's a day out in Dublin then.

If you're heading down to the Mary St store, it's opposite the Jervis centre which has the biggest New Look (not as good as it used to be but still impressive for a 15 year old) and a Bershka and Stradivarius which would be right up her street too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree that the LV store is a big disappointment and think that the Penny's on Mary street is the best. I have also made the mistake of deciding not to buy something and then its gone the next day. Any nice shoes in Pennys at the moment? Looking for something practical and no higher than 4''s.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

As a man I found Blanchardstown to be the best!
    However we generally get a small section. I hate the one on Cork city. I don't think I've ever managed to get anything there.(I think it's expanding tough.)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As a Dub who detests shopping centres, it has to be Mary Street.

Biggest lesson is, if you like it, buy it.... it will not be there in a few days time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Mary St in Dublin is probably the best one, but I find Liffey Valley quite good too, especially for smaller sizes. I'm in Limerick and honestly, the Limerick store is rubbish compared to some of the other. We never seem to get half the stuff that a lot of the other stores get. The store is badly in need of an update and overhaul like they did to the Kerry stores a few years ago.
    I'm just over an hour from Tralee and go down there a fair bit. Their Penneys is excellent. Killarney is good too.

I think Dundrum is rubbish to be honest. It's very similar to Limerick. I haven't been to the Blanchardstown store, but I believe it's a good one too.

Where are you based OP?

I'm based in Armagh. Just looking a day/night away with my daughter so don't mind travelling if a decent Penneys nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Have to say the Ballina one too. Its brilliant. Never really a line to try stuff on. Always neat and tiny there and does not feel packed. I have lived in Cork,Galway and Dublin and the Pennys in Mayo is my go to pennys.

I'm based in Armagh. Just looking a day/night away with my daughter so don't mind travelling if a decent Penneys nearby.

I'd say go with Mary St Dublin so. You might be able to get to Liffey Valley as well. Killarney & Tralee stores are good as I said, but that would be a long trip when you're right at the other end of the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Mary Street is their flagship store tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A fairly newish one opened in Swords a few years back that is quite big and modern (even has it's own Insomnia cafe instore) and is part of the Pavillions Shopping Centre which is handy if you are coming down the M1. You don't have to tackle the city centre traffic then. On the other hand I wouldn't travel long distance just to visit a Penneys. Go to Mary Street in Dublin for the larger store and also use the opportunity to do a few other things in Dublin as part of the same visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'd say go with Mary St Dublin so. You might be able to get to Liffey Valley as well. Killarney & Tralee stores are good as I said, but that would be a long trip when you're right at the other end of the country.

The Tralee and Killarney stores were done up in recent years (demolished and built back up from scratch) and are both really impressive and modern stores...but not worth a trip all the way from Newry unless you want to do a mini holiday break to Kerry and incorporate the Penneys visit into a multi activity trip

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Tralee - without a doubt the best Penny's in Munster if not nationally.

Tralee store definitely edges out most of the others. Mary St being the flagship store and I'm guessing probably the biggest one in the country will probably always be the best one, but both Kerry stores are great. I love that they're so clean, tidy and organised. Penneys in Limerick (both of them) are BADLY in need of a revamp. The stores are just too small for the amount of stuff that they're trying to cram in.

Kerry is definitely a bit far from the OP though, unless you'd like to make a long weekend of it. Kerry's beautiful. There's loads to see and do there. I'd move down in the morning, but I can't budge Mr Crumble. Mainly because the mammy lives 5 minutes up the road. One of the main reasons I'd like to move, but that's a whole other thread!

Advertisement