Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Norwegian Air Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

j_mo wrote: »
    Hiya,

I just got an email from norwegian airlines today saying that our flight was changing from Shannon Airport to Dublin Airport. Is this instance enough to get a refund from them or not?

Thanks.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Do I just need to contact them and request a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

j_mo wrote: »
    Do I just need to contact them and request a refund?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭j_mo

Perfect, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Noticed on flight radar that DUB-YHM is occasionally stopping in Goose Bay to refuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Any web page on how often this is happening, you would imagine if you book a direct flight it's not going to stop in goose green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The YHM route was recently reduced from 4x to 3x weekly for most of July but this has now been extended until 13 September after which the route is no longer on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

horse7 wrote: »
    Any web page on how often this is happening, you would imagine if you book a direct flight it's not going to stop in goose green.

Given that Norwegian are forced to use a B737-800 on the route and not the planned B737-MAX 8 which has the longer range necessary, this is going to happen from time to time if the headwinds don't play ball.

horse7 wrote: »

You can see them here: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/d81840

Generally, any late or diverted flights, if you hit playback you'll see it in Goose Bay.

What I'm curious about is do they tell you before you board or when you are in the air? I'd be a little put-off, and pretty annoyed if my direct flight was diverted for fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

ironclaw wrote: »
    You can see them here: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/d81840

Generally, any late or diverted flights, if you hit playback you'll see it in Goose Bay.

What I'm curious about is do they tell you before you board or when you are in the air? I'd be a little put-off, and pretty annoyed if my direct flight was diverted for fuel.

It would be a planned stop - the crew will know what their capabilities are.

I’m not sure what else exactly do you expect them to do?

If the headwinds are too strong the B737-800 simply won’t have the range.

Remember this isn’t a problem of Norwegian’s making.

I suspect most of their passengers are just glad that the flights are operating albeit at a reduced frequency.

It appears to have diverted only twice - on the 19th and 21st of April.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

ironclaw wrote: »
    I'd be a little put-off, and pretty annoyed if my direct flight was diverted for fuel.
    More put out than if your aircraft ran out of fuel due to stronger than forecast headwinds?
    Its either fuel stop or cancel the flight, which would you prefer?

BTW if you stay on the plane then its still a 'direct flight'. 'Non-stop' is the term you are looking for.

Folks, drop the pitchforks :)

I'm aware of the flight dynamics at play, just expressing an opinion. I've even taken the flight in question. But for the regular Joe who books a flight from DUB to YHM, landing in Goose Bay isn't on the itinerary when you book, hence my question as to how this is handled (Before board, during takeoff etc) as it does incur a delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see Norwegian are hiring in an A330 to fly to Stewart from Dublin would it have full on flight entertainment system or would you still need a tablet with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Rawr

roadmaster wrote: »
    I see Norwegian are hiring in an A330 to fly to Stewart from Dublin would it have full on flight entertainment system or would you still need a tablet with you?

I'd bring a tablet with some stuff uploaded to be on the safe side.

A bit of a lottery with the wet-leased wide-bodies that they've hired in over the years. I remember reading some reviews of Norwegian Long-Haul a while back and I think they ended up with a EuroAtlantic A330 with tiny in-flight screens with the entire system in Portuguese(!).

That's not to say that this is likely to happen anymore, but I would recommend have an Entertainment "Plan B" handy, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Rawr wrote: »
    I'd bring a tablet with some stuff uploaded to be on the safe side.

A bit of a lottery with the wet-leased wide-bodies that they've hired in over the years. I remember reading some reviews of Norwegian Long-Haul a while back and I think they ended up with a EuroAtlantic A330 with tiny in-flight screens with the entire system in Portuguese(!).

That's not to say that this is likely to happen anymore, but I would recommend have an Entertainment "Plan B" handy, just in case.

Cheers I have flown with them to steward several times and always found them fine. I believe it’s a Spanish airline that going to be covering the flight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Got an email from norwegian to say that my upcoming flight DUB to Hamilton has been switched to another carrier. Does anyone have any idea what carrier this might be?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Evelop perhaps? Spanish charter company with an A330 that’s been in Dublin quite a lot recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Norwegian will not resume flights from Cork or Shannon this year
    Due to the continued grounding of the Boeing 737 MAX by the European aviation authorities

• Registered Users Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I'm really worried about Norwegian - they're an airline that makes my life a lot easier.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'm really worried about Norwegian - they're an airline that makes my life a lot easier.

Diddo here. If they were to disappear, I'b be down to SAS for my direct flight from OSL to DUB. (SAS are fine, but can be a bit gouge-y with the price sometimes)

My guess / hope, is that only their lean-long-haul model is the part at risk at the moment. I'm thinking that they really were counting on the MAX to make those routes work. With it being grounded for so long (and maybe even longer, you never know) their original plans may be all but ruined at the moment.

Hoping that all goes back to plan when the MAX is made safe.

• Advertisement

Rawr wrote:
    My guess / hope, is that only their lean-long-haul model is the part at risk at the moment. I'm thinking that they really were counting on the MAX to make those routes work. With it being grounded for so long (and maybe even longer, you never know) their original plans may be all but ruined at the moment.

Would it ever be possible for them to make their long haul service possible using a different type of aircraft? (I know nothing about these things so apologies if it's a dumb q)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Would it ever be possible for them to make their long haul service possible using a different type of aircraft? (I know nothing about these things so apologies if it's a dumb q)

From London they are trying to make it work with a Dreamliner, ie B787. That’s too big for Ireland. They will be due some compensation from Boeing and that might be supplementing them at the moment. However, there were some doubts about their expansive business models before 737Max problems. A downturn would not be good for them - the mainstream airlines have better scope for price cutting.

aaabbbb wrote: »

I think I remember a report of them ordering (or wanting to order) the A321 LR. If it would work for Aer Lingus as a 757 replacement, it would probably work for them too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Rawr wrote: »
    I think I remember a report of them ordering (or wanting to order) the A321 LR. If it would work for Aer Lingus as a 757 replacement, it would probably work for them too.

Isn’t part of their problem going for the bottom of the barrel low fare low yield, they don’t carry long haul cargo on the Irish routes or nothing of significance anyway and they don’t have premium cabins both of which are the money earners for long haul carriers, they’re trying the low cost model on very long routes and simply can’t get the same aircraft utilisation to sweat the assets and make money like can be done on short haul. They’d be operating very close to the margin and and rise in fuel would soon put an end to the small bit of profit they might or might not be making from their current set up.
    I think their European short haul network most makes money, especially from Scandinavia, the long haul especially on the 737 I wouldn’t be so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Marcusm wrote: »
    From London they are trying to make it work with a Dreamliner, ie B787. That’s too big for Ireland. They will be due some compensation from Boeing and that might be supplementing them at the moment. However, there were some doubts about their expansive business models before 737Max problems. A downturn would not be good for them - the mainstream airlines have better scope for price cutting.

I don’t know why you’d say a 787 is too big for Ireland. There are a lot of widebodies going between DUB and NYC every day.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭Blut2

Noxegon wrote: »
    I don’t know why you’d say a 787 is too big for Ireland. There are a lot of widebodies going between DUB and NYC every day.

A 787 DUB to JFK is one thing. A 787 DUB to PVD would be very different - a lot harder to fill multiple times per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Not with Norwegian's business model they don't. Norwegian can barely fill a 737 outside of peak season and even during peak season they rely on the lowest yielding business to fill their aircraft, it's not a good fit for the 787.

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think their European short haul network most makes money, especially from Scandinavia, the long haul especially on the 737 I wouldn’t be so sure.

They are quite large over here in Norway. Have used them a lot on domestic commuter routes around Norway (where the mountainous terrain can make land-transport very time-consuming), and the flights are usually packed with people, even on very saturated routes like Bergen to Oslo.

Also for transport around Europe they are really giving SAS a run for the their money. (Even the old SAS Airport bus routes in Oslo has been rebranded with Norwegian logos :D )

swptmoupeafpcfkahqoh.jpg

So they're pretty big over here still, but I do wonder about the long haul. Almost feels like they've stretched themselves too far there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Absolutely but not into Stewart or Providence. I think 738 or Max 8 is ideal for those locations. Going bigger, adding premium cabins and cargo capacity all militate towards non point to point traffic and hub airports. I’m not saying it can’t work, I just mean that it would need to build over time with greater acceptance of the (frankly) tertiary airports.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote:
    Evelop perhaps? Spanish charter company with an A330 that’s been in Dublin quite a lot recently?

Has anyone flown with these before or flown on the Dublin to Hamilton route recently?
    Just wanna know how bad its gonna be do I can mentally prepare for the torture

Advertisement