Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strava

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    While I was experimenting with my new bolt and recording on that and my garmin watch, it recognised them as the same ride and only uploaded one of them. Does it not do that with Strava recording and a garmin upload?

Only time it added both was one day I forgot to start one of them at a same time (actually it might have been autopause was off on one of them, so the start of the spin wasn't delayed on one, whereas the autopause immediately kicked in on the other).
    It doesn't seem to with some people anyway. When their activity feed appears, the same activity comes in twice and it will say something like 'Joe Soap rode with Joe Soap' and the route/time will be the same. One activity will indicate a Garmin (or whatever) and the other a smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Has anyone heard the voice that activates on the new iphone update when you stop and then restart.
    It really sounds like the Woman who does the voices on the Luas stops.
    You might be only able to hear it when using earphones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Has anyone heard the voice that activates on the new iphone update when you stop and then restart.
    It really sounds like the Woman who does the voices on the Luas stops.
    You might be only able to hear it when using earphones.

She will announce your live segments too if your on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Borderfox wrote: »
    She will announce your live segments too if your on the phone

Is that if you are a premium member?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Is that if you are a premium member?

If you dial a premium number, more like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It doesn't seem to with some people anyway. When their activity feed appears, the same activity comes in twice and it will say something like 'Joe Soap rode with Joe Soap' and the route/time will be the same. One activity will indicate a Garmin (or whatever) and the other a smart phone.
    Yeah I see it. Just wondered how it happens, as like I say when I was saving the same workout on two devices, unless I made a timing mistake, it only displayed one. (Training Peaks on the other hand...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Thud

Does anyone else have Strava claiming they created segments that they didn't create?

Strava indicates that I have created these 2 segments in Florida. I most certainly did not!

https://www.strava.com/segments/4584347

https://www.strava.com/segments/4658027

Where does it say you created them?
    If they are in your My Segments section it just means you have starred them and they will appear as live segments on a compatible garmin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

My bugbear with Strava is that it duplicates a lot on the Apple Watch activity app. For some reason a spin is uploaded to the watch twice. It's not all the time though, just some of the time.

Thud wrote: »
    Where does it say you created them?
    If they are in your My Segments section it just means you have starred them and they will appear as live segments on a compatible garmin
    Under 'My Segments' there are 3 tabs - 'Starred Segments', 'Created Segments' and 'Hidden Segments'.

The segments that I didn't create are in the 'Created Segments' tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭Thud

Under 'My Segments' there are 3 tabs - 'Starred Segments', 'Created Segments' and 'Hidden Segments'.

The segments that I didn't create are in the 'Created Segments' tab.

Ah ok, definitely a few in there i didn't create either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

At least 4 segments around me are obviously by people driving!!

Driving? Holy moley! That would explain that snecker near me who I thought could genuinely just bop along at 50-70kph while throwing out an estimated 800w plus for hours. What in jaysis was I thinking?

Is there some kind of strava police or strava snitch line I can moan to?

check_six wrote: »
    Driving? Holy moley! That would explain that snecker near me who I thought could genuinely just bop along at 50-70kph while throwing out an estimated 800w plus for hours. What in jaysis was I thinking?

Is there some kind of strava police or strava snitch line I can moan to?

You can flag it and Strava will contact them for an explanation.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

I wonder if Nico Roche is telling his mates he almost got a 'flyby' with me today? I'd say he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

secman wrote: »
    Panic over... uninstalled app and reinstalled it... all good now.

It's all in your legs and head mate, that's what matters. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭buffalo

colm18 wrote: »
    I wonder if Nico Roche is telling his mates he almost got a 'flyby' with me today? I'd say he is.

He took two of my KOMs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My little gripe is when people use both a Garmin and their phone to record a ride and then upload both so their 120k Sunday spin becomes 240k.

It doesn’t double the distance it just says ‘John McCyclist rode with one other’ and when you look who the other person was you’ll see it was the same person.

A friend of mine always records on his Garmin and his phone for some reason so it always looks like he was out with someone else whereas he was on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

buffalo wrote:
    He took two of my KOMs.

Just shows how good you are that it took a man of his calibre to take them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

buffalo wrote: »
    He took two of my KOMs. :(

The despicable KOM hunter! If he wants to prove how "good" a cyclist he is he should race, but guaranteed you won't see him at any local A4 or A3 races, he's clearly a chancer...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i once recorded two rides (phone and on garmin) because i was concerned my garmin wouldn't have the juice to last. my phone uploaded the ride first directly to strava, and then strava refused the data from garmin a few minutes later because it was a duplicate.

as a test, i tried the converse a week or two after; i stopped and saved the garmin ride and let it upload before finishing and saving on my phone. no problem with this one, it accepted both. whether there was enough difference in the GPS data to make it look like a separate ride would be speculation, i suspect it's just the rides are handled or checked in a slightly different manner depending on the source?

Advertisement