Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ryanair discusion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Aul DCL is on the way to PMI to pick me up, nice to catch a flight on the ‘oddball’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Rawr

EICVD wrote: »
    Aul DCL is on the way to PMI to pick me up, nice to catch a flight on the ‘oddball’

(Looks up EI-DCL)

It almost looks like Boeing did a last minute branding job on that one. Like they were a 738 short on an order and went:

"Screw it, there's no time! Get one of our demonstration models and just re-paint the tail!!!"
    "What if they complain?"
    "I dunno...tell them it's an anniversary special or something!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Rawr wrote: »
    (Looks up EI-DCL)

It almost looks like Boeing did a last minute branding job on that one. Like they were a 738 short on an order and went:

"Screw it, there's no time! Get one of our demonstration models and just re-paint the tail!!!"
    "What if they complain?"
    "I dunno...tell them it's an anniversary special or something!

:D

The original Boeing livery was better too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Blut2

Is there a story behind the weird livery on EI-DCL?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭billie1b

Blut2 wrote: »
    Is there a story behind the weird livery on EI-DCL?

It was the 800th 737-800 to come off the factory line, so they put it in Boeing house colours, it just so happened to be for Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

It was originally in a different older Boeing livery which looked much better partly because it included the tail. I guess Ryanair realised it cost more money to paint the tail differently to the rest of the fleet.

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/110700/ei-dcl-ryanair-boeing-737-800/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

First FR 737 MAX is now painted in Seattle

https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1121630236162973697

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

wonder how long that bird is going to sit on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Anyone know if ryanair allow you to buy/change seats after you've checked in online?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Anyone know if ryanair allow you to buy/change seats after you've checked in online?

I've only flown with them once in the last two years or so, but I'm fairly sure I had the option to change seats after I'd checked in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭embraer170

Yes, but the seats got up in price a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

What are the queues like for FR Bag Drop in DUB on a Thursday around 7pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I think at that time there will be almost no queue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

http://www.airliners.de/ryanair-frankfurt-fluggastbruecken/49958

Ryanair will use airbridges (often, not always) at FRA which has to be better than being bussed all the way out to the Boonies.

In other news Laudamotion will randomly assign seating i.e. intentionally separate passengers like their parent airline does.

Just on a follow up on this. It was empty. I walked straight up to about 20 empty machines.

Their system makes it very hard to sneak in an extra kg or so for free but not impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Just on a follow up on this. It was empty. I walked straight up to about 20 empty machines.

Their system makes it very hard to sneak in an extra kg or so for free but not impossible!

Can you not just support some of the weight when you place it on the scales...?
    (asking for a friend)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

(asking for a friend)

I can't see how as its like the self service in Tesco, the weighing scales most be steady for a set time.

(asking for a friend)

There are two scales, one when you print the tag and then another when you drop it off at the belt. Both times the bags are weighed and have to match. And since it's a machine, there is no wiggle room..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There are two scales, one when you print the tag and then another when you drop it off at the belt. Both times the bags are weighed and have to match. And since it's a machine, there is no wiggle room..
    it allows a slight bit over the stated weight, probably to allow for room for tolerances, but its not much. We had 10.9kg for the 10kg checked hand luggage and it wasnt taken. We removed enough to bring it down to 10.1 and was allowed (didnt mess about with intermediate weights so not sure exactly where the limit is)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

There was just one scales when I used it last weekend. It was weighed on the belt same as it would be weighed by a staff member if you were using manual check-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I did this the other week in Dublin. I lifted the bag again the second time , but had to do three attempts before the weight was identical or very close to first weighing on other machine , to accept it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

As the "Industrial Action" thread is still closed I'll post here instead.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0520/1050618-ryanair-pilots/

The union representing Ryanair's British pilots will hold an indicative ballot to see if there is support for industrial action over a pay dispute, according to a letter seen by Reuters.

Looks like Ryanair still hasn't sorted the staff issues!

I read this Reuters report yesterday but didn't think it worth reporting on especially as the industrial relations thread is closed.
    Ryanair have full staffing and aren't actively recruiting at the moment according to their Q&A video session for the financial year just ended. They have the resources to counteract industrial action and this is just a ballot about a ballot.

Electrical power outages and strikes by airport or air traffic control staff will cause more delayed and cancelled flights than strikes by their own workers this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Perhaps they do have adequate staff but either way, the possibility of more unrest and strike action will hit the Ryanair share price further.

News amongst the pilots suggest the UK may be joined by the Irish, Spanish, Portuguese and Germans as their pay deal proposals are falling on deaf ears in Ryanair HQ.

Summer 2019 may not be strike free.

Perhaps they do have adequate staff but either way, the possibility of more unrest and strike action will hit the Ryanair share price further.

News amongst the pilots suggest the UK may be joined by the Irish, Spanish, Portuguese and Germans as their pay deal proposals are falling on deaf ears in Ryanair HQ.

Summer 2019 may not be strike free.

In the short term Ryanair don't care about the share price. They have 700m set aside to buy shares. They'll buy back more shares for the 700m if the share price drops. The company signalled to the market not to expect a massive upturn in share price for 3 to 4 years as they are trying to shake out their competitors.

http://www.airliners.de/piloten-arbeitsmarkt-germania-pleite/50195
    Translate that in to English and tell me that German pilots will be falling over themselves at the moment to stand on a picket line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I see they released their FY results yesterday. You can read the report here. +7% pax, -6% fares and +6% revenue growth overall driven by ancillary +19% - overall revenue from schedules is only +1%. Expecting fare pressure to continue through the summer.

Fuel and staff definitely putting pressure on bottom line, up +23% and +28% respectively at a time of +7% pax growth.

Excluding exceptionals from the acquisition during the year, they made a profit of 1.02bn vs 1.45bn the previous year.

Underlying it all I think MOL is correct that basically Ryanair will survive the increased oil prices and there'll be fewer carriers for the market that's left afterward, and in the long run Ryanair can sustain the race.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/78265-ryanair-expects-to-lose-41mn-revenue-due-to-max-grounding

41million revenue does not equal 41 million loss of profit. Maybe one tenth to one fifth of that is profit which is lost.

They'll be selling 10 of their older planes before March 2020(assuming the Max starts coming through)
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ryanair-warns-of-profit-hit-over-737-max-grounding-2019-05-20?mod=mw_latestnews

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

A mate asked me if 300 return was good Dublin to Stockholm. So I went to do some research on the route. Ryanair don’t do it from Dublin!!! So I went to see where they fly from their two Stockholm airports too, toms of Mickey Mouse ones. How do they not serve it from Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Idbatterim wrote: »
    A mate asked me if 300 return was good Dublin to Stockholm. So I went to do some research on the route. Ryanair don’t do it from Dublin!!! So I went to see where they fly from their two Stockholm airports too, toms of Mickey Mouse ones. How do they not serve it from Dublin ?

I remember they flew to Skavsta at one point. Flew the route in 2013. I think their only Swedish route now from Ireland is to Gothenburg.

Advertisement